Is it normal for a TA to charge a fee for a cancelled cruise?

JodiandFrank

My TA charged us a fee of $104 pp for both of our cancelled cruises in 2020.  The first cruise I cancelled and he told me that he was going to charge the fee, but I would get it back when I completed a new cruise, so I didn't argue.  The second cruise was cancelled by Seabourn and I was still charged the fee.  I was a bit annoyed because it was not my fault the cruise was cancelled, but since his travel business was in such bad shape because of Covid, I bit my tongue and said nothing, again.   We have another cruise on the books...transatlantic Lisbon to Miami...later this year.  Portugal still is not allowing US citizens in to Portugal, so I am beginning to have doubt that this cruise will be happening.  I am already becoming annoyed to think I may be charged another fee by this TA.... He already has $416 of my money.  Do other TAs charge a fee for cancellations?  Just curious.

Jodi

We have had to cancel twice with Seabourn: once for health and the other when Covid-19 struck while on a back-to-back in the South China Sea and the ship couldn't stick to its itinerary. In neither case did we have to pay our travel agent a fee. In fact, he managed to get SB to refund the 2nd two weeks of the Covid-19 cruise and successfully defended us when SB tried to penalize additionally for the health cancellation.

I'd suggest you look for another TA

3 hours ago, jenidallas said:

I’ve booked and cancelled a few sailings and never been charged a fee.  I’d agree with others that it’s time to find a better agent.

What she said! (Although I seem to remember a "big box" internet agency used to do that but I didn't do any business with them so can't say for sure).

Over the years we have had several cancellations, a couple because we reconsidered or changed our plans, and a few more due to Covid.  All were booked through our TA, and he and his company never charged a cancellation fee.

We have never been charged a cancellation fee in the few of occasions when we had to do it.  (Most of them in 2020.)

Why don't you find another TA and talk about present and future bookings and their policies. Then transfer your booking to that TA and then cancel it if needed? 

Edited by marazul

15 hours ago, Ka Honu said:

What she said! (Although I seem to remember a "big box" internet agency used to do that but I didn't do any business with them so can't say for sure).

I used to book a lot with said big box store's agency and they never charged a cancellation or change fee.  They stopped representing Seabourn maybe 4 years ago so I switched to a new TA in Florida who never charges to change or cancel either.

I hear you, JodiandFrank, about cancellation fees!  I booked a cruise through a "luxury" travel agency and was not informed of any cancellation charges.  They charged $100 when I canceled the cruise (the cruise line later canceled it as well).  I objected, but they said that's their policy.  Unfortunately, I had already booked through this agency another cruise on Crystal that is unlikely to sail. The agent told me they would not charge me a fee if I canceled that one.  We'll see!

I've had better success and service through discount online travel agents and that's what I'll use in the future!

In 2020 we had one cruise cancelled (at the last minute) by Seabourn and then we cancelled another Seabourn booking well before final payment date and never paid our travel agent a penny.  A business can put in place any rule or policy as they see fit, but in today's day and age it seems pretty silly to charge your customer a fee for a cruise which was cancelled by the cruise line.  If I was in your situation I would have an honest and open conversation with the agent about the upcoming cruise and what happens if/when it cancels.  If you get the party line again, I would take my business somewhere else and would be clear this is part of this conversation.  Hopefully the transatlantic cruise is the last one you have booked thru this agent.  Plenty of agents  with Seabourn experience who don't have the policy your current agent does.

• 2 months later...

I do not charge my clients a fee for any cancellations, especially one that is not your fault! I would suggest going with an agent that discloses all their fees upfront and in writing. I am sorry you have this to deal with on top of this pandemic! 

I am a big fan of high volume cruise agencies (we use several and have for many years) so will tread very carefully.  Each agency has their own cancellation policy (it should be disclosed prior to booking or even on their web site).  Nobody ever anticipated what has happened with COVID.  Each agency has handled it their own way.   Most agencies do not charge a fee when the cruise line cancels the cruise and I would be very upset with any agency that panelized  the cruiser for a cruise cancellation.  If the agency insisted on the fee I would certainly try the credit card route (asking for a charge back) and if that failed I would send a detailed e-mail to Chistopher Elliot (a big time travel consumer advocate).

In our own case we did cancel 2 of our cruises prior to the cruise line cancelling for a few good reasons.  But this meant that legally, our cruise agency had every right to charge up $100 per booking (that is in their contract).   I was happy to see that our agency did not charge us a penny!  As a result, I just booked several more expensive cruises through them (including one that I could have booked slightly cheaper with another agency).  I guess you could say "I reward loyalty."  Many here on CC talk about loyalty to various agents/agencies which I think is ridiculous (my loyalty is only as good as the deals).  But when an agency is loyal to me I tend to reward that outstanding customer service.  

Hank

• Like 1