Spain Portugal cruise in April?

Tikka234

1 hour ago, john watson said:

Obviously P&O backed the royal households of these countries to get where they are now.

Regards John

I didn't think Carnival existed the last time there was a monarchy in Portugal!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know it's irrational,  but I never think of Madeira as being a Portuguese port , when combined with a Mediterranean itinerary.

We are off (hopefully) to the Canaries on Arcadia in March 22,  with an overnight stop in Funchal. We will be off to our favourite restaurant in the old quarter for dinner - I wonder how many will stay onboard? 

So many places to go. We kind of had it all worked our. Now BA have extended our large voucher til April 2023. All Change. Perhaps P&O Caribbean this winter. Decisions, decisions. Have you seen the statue of Ronaldo in Funchal. I would quite like a stop in the Azores. What to do......

Edited by zap99

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Have you seen the statue of Ronaldo in Funchal. I would quite like a stop in the Azores. What to do......

Yes, you can't really miss the statue. For some reason the sculptor gave Robaldo enormous hands!

We stopped off at the Azores on our Carribean round trip - obviously it rained! We took a private excursion that was excellent, for the same price as being stuffed in a coach with 50 other tourists!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I understand that - I just didn't see the significance.

P&O backed the House of Braganza, Portugal (blue and white) and the Spanish Bourbons Red and Gold (P&O yellow). They needed to do so or go out of business, fortunately both royal household won and P&O were allowed to use the colours and business continued.  Blue to the mast red to the fly, yellow to the deck and white to the sky.  Over the years P&O have built up a long and close relationship with both of these countries and they dock there as much as possible. I was told P&O shipping own the port of Vigo but not sure on that.

Regards John

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, john watson said:

Over the years P&O have built up a long and close relationship with both of these countries and they dock there as much as possible. I was told P&O shipping own the port of Vigo but not sure on that.

Regards John

Could be worse.  I think pre-50's P & O used Tilbury a lot.  Imagine owning Tilbury? 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, john watson said:

P&O backed the House of Braganza, Portugal (blue and white) and the Spanish Bourbons Red and Gold (P&O yellow). They needed to do so or go out of business, fortunately both royal household won and P&O were allowed to use the colours and business continued.  Blue to the mast red to the fly, yellow to the deck and white to the sky.  Over the years P&O have built up a long and close relationship with both of these countries and they dock there as much as possible. I was told P&O shipping own the port of Vigo but not sure on that.

Regards John

Thank you - you learn something everyday. 

• Like 1

Just an update on my op  we have transferred our med cruise in Sept 21 to Spain Portugal 18th April 22 still on Britannia. Had to wait about 20 mins to get through but great service we have 3 cabins one of them was coming up with £100 more obc so she gave us all the extra so instead of £350 as online amount we have £450 not bad for 11 night cruise. Once again great service from P O.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Thank you . That's one of those pieces of Information that I can tuck away to gobsmack somebody one day.🤣

1 hour ago, Tikka234 said:

Just an update on my op  we have transferred our med cruise in Sept 21 to Spain Portugal 18th April 22 still on Britannia. Had to wait about 20 mins to get through but great service we have 3 cabins one of them was coming up with £100 more obc so she gave us all the extra so instead of £350 as online amount we have £450 not bad for 11 night cruise. Once again great service from P O.

Well done , but how was your op ?🤔