Strangest things done on board

W283386

55 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

14-day cruise, seated at a table of 6 solo travellers, one man would only eat apple strudel.  Not for dessert, it was his full meal each evening.  On the first night when the server tried to hand him a menu he refused to take it, loudly demanding apple strudel.  When both servers (understandably) looked confused, he just kept repeating it louder.  Having ascertained that it was definitely all he wanted, they got it for him.

On a few nights when he didn't turn up for dinner, the servers would ask "Where is strudel man?"!

What ship? My DH loves apple strudel, but I don't think I have ever seen it on Celebrity

Further down the Cruise Critic Community web page, just below the Ports of Call is a Cruise Conversations group which includes Cruise Rituals.  Within Cruise Rituals are two threads that have left me in stitches at times. I think a wider audience would enjoy your posts if posted there as well.

Crasiest or Dumbest things you have heard people complain about was started February 2, 2020 and has 219 replies and 106.4k views.

what is the wildest,craziest thing you've ever seen on a cruise? was started December 3, 2004 and has 1564 replies and 774.1k views

Edited by Oviedo32765
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oviedo32765 said:

Further down the Cruise Critic Community web page, just below the Ports of Call is a Cruise Conversations group which includes Cruise Rituals.  Within Cruise Rituals are two threads that have left me in stitches at times. I think a wider audience would enjoy your posts if posted there as well.

Crasiest or Dumbest things you have heard people complain about was started February 2, 2020 and has 219 replies and 106.4k views.

what is the wildest,craziest thing you've ever seen on a cruise? was started December 3, 2004 and has 1564 replies and 774.1k views

I've been trying to figure out your Avatar, at first I thought it was a buckethead with paint dripping down it, then some type of mask. Once I made it bigger I realized it was a Maker's Mark bottle. Visually interesting, at least for me. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 1:27 PM, TMaine said:

On our first X cruise on Summit years ago we were placed at an 8 person table with three other couples that were all strangers.  After awhile at that first dinner, we noticed that one gentleman was eating the pats of butter right out of the bowl with a fork.  He ate all the butter at the table and asked for more.  He was trying to be sneaky about it but I am sure everyone at the table caught on.

I usually tear off a tiny corner of bread so it's not so obvious! The butter is just too yummy to resist. I always end up asking for more (and never double dip😄).

On 2/25/2021 at 12:57 PM, drakes2 said:

We do now. This was on a princess ship years ago. Now with Elite status on X, I get a bag of laundry included but who knows what will happen to Elite perks going forward. 

d2 - I anticipate that this Perk would remain... it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds with the advent of AI...

bon voyage

On 2/27/2021 at 5:29 PM, LGW59 said:

Years ago, I took a small part of a $50 bill, keeping all serial numbers intact of course, and did this in a hotel in CA.  Just the $50 was visible, wish I could have been there when it was discovered.

What is your cabin # on the next cruise so I can request it???

😎

bon voyage

2 hours ago, Oviedo32765 said:

Yes, I have enjoyed them as well.

3 hours ago, HxFx said:

I usually tear off a tiny corner of bread so it's not so obvious! The butter is just too yummy to resist. I always end up asking for more (and never double dip😄).

My wife and I always double dip. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, zook50 said:

The other "strange" cruise experience we had was being on a cruise on the day Trump was elected.  The entire cruise was "election immersion".  It was all you heard about throughout the ship and on tv, internet, etc.   Our dinner mates were two American couples, one pro-Trump, one anti-Trump.  We ended up being the "referees" every night.  It got so bad that they refused to eat together anymore.  The morning after the election, there were people partying and others crying and vowing to move to Canada.  It was an experience!!!

my wife and I embarked on a cruise (Carnival Breeze) the day after he was inaugurated!!!  Lol.  Didn’t hear a peep from any of the passengers about it, though.

Late one night, I saw a few workers carrying what seemed to be a 1/3 size (about) disassembled helicopter up a stairwell.  I was baffled until a couple nights later when we saw the magic act in the theater.  Turns out it was a prop in the final trick.

3 hours ago, HxFx said:

Next time just order your own to share with partner.  I always say I'm having just once slice of bread but agree that butter is so good and they change it up throughout the cruise.  I really don't think the man at my dinner table had ever tasted it before. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 12:42 AM, bobndee said:

Several years ago I was on a cruise where I saw a woman who brought her two small dogs on board with her. Each day the dogs wore a different costume. She carted them around the ship in a small stroller. If someone were in the way of where she wanted to go, she would use the stroller to push them out of her way.

A dog couple cruising with their support person?🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2021 at 11:26 AM, HxFx said:

This was before the flavored butter and hummus trays (agree, they are delicious).  This gentleman was eating the butter pats, regular butter. 

Edited by TMaine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TMaine said:

This was before the flavored butter and hummus trays (agree, they are delicious).  This gentleman was eating the butter pats, regular butter. 

Its very unhealthy.

Also, there are so many more delicious things in both the main dining room and the buffet

Family in the table behind us in the buffet asked/complained to service staff for hot/boiling water, not just hot water.  We turned around to see an Asian family with 4 big Cup of Noodles.  The mother said there's nothing good to eat on this ship.  This was on the largest cruise out there, Symphony of the Seas, & this was on the 2nd day of a 7 day cruise....

• Haha 1

5 or 6 years back on Silhouette Southampton to Western Med, I think, we were sitting on large multiple tables mainly in MDR. We unfortunately got the same couple twice who were the rudest people we've ever come across cruising but they also had their strange rituals.

The Lady said she didn't drink but wanted ginger ale. She insisted that this was from a can not from a pump and that the can was poured into a carafe in her views to then be poured into a wine glass so she appeared to be drinking like everyone else. Last but one day of the cruise there were no ginger ale cans to be found and she kicked up such a fuss senior officers were called!

The Husband usually ordered 3 starters which he would only accept one at a time meaning the rest of the table had to wait until he had finished until we got our mains!

The Husband usually ordered 3 starters which he would only accept one at a time meaning the rest of the table had to wait until he had finished until we got our mains!

It's the standard procedure on NCL, if a passenger orders two of any course, to serve them one at a time and not to clear that course and serve the next course to anyone at the table until all are finished. I verified this with a dining manager after having to leave before finishing in order to get to a show.

What happened was this: NCL also organizes a group of solo passengers to dine together at one table. The passengers usually don't know one another's plans. Servers at dinner are supposed to ask if anyone has a show to get to, but at our large table, if the server asked, it was only at one end of the table and the passengers there answered for themselves. One passenger order two starters and another ordered two mains. As a result, two full hours had elapsed and dishes from the main course(s) hadn't yet been cleared, nor had dessert orders been taken.

There are times where it is almost impossible to switch tables, but with some of the comments made about tablemates I wonder if people asked to switch table assignment .At one time we really enjoyed large tables, but now prefer to sit alone unless we meet a couple or two we really like. Assigned tables might go the way of the chocolate midnight buffet.

Edited by Orator

10 minutes ago, Orator said:

There are times where it is almost impossible to switch tables, but with some of the comments made about tablemates I wonder if people asked to switch table assignment .At one time we really enjoyed large tables, but now prefer to sit alone unless we meet a couple or two we really like. Assigned tables might go the way of the chocolate midnight buffet.

We are like you unless travelling with friends we dine alone

Liz

4 hours ago, Alushar said:

We unfortunately got the same couple twice who were the rudest people we've ever come across cruising but they also had their strange rituals.

You could have asked to change tables before you sat down if they were already there .

We always ask for a table for two and most often enjoy a conversation with the people beside us. 

LOL-- Ralph Kramden  would have " shouted "  --- I don't wanna sit with a " Blabbermouth ". 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

You could have asked to change tables before you sat down if they were already there .

We always ask for a table for two and most often enjoy a conversation with the people beside us. 

LOL-- Ralph Kramden  would have " shouted "  --- I don't wanna sit with a " Blabbermouth ". 

This was I think our 3rd cruise and second X one and this particular couple would always be last to join say a table of 8/10. It's hard to move when you've ordered drinks etc.

Lesson learnt though we generally go for tables of two now though on that cruise we met another couple on one of the shared tables who we have become great friends with, have visited them in UK and keep in contact with so we consider ourselves up on the deal!! 

5 minutes ago, Alushar said:

This was I think our 3rd cruise and second X one and this particular couple would always be last to join say a table of 8/10. It's hard to move when you've ordered drinks etc.

I recall a situation in which an entire table insisted that one member be moved elsewhere. That person was moved to the table next to ours. He lasted one excruciating meal at that table. Loud, verbose, opinionated, extremely critical, and incredibly rude. Our entire table left as soon as we could.

I remember a post on another part of this site saying that someone got up very early in the morning and went for a walk on deck.  They came across 2 very large people in a hot tub by the pool who were bathing, soap, shampoo and all.