NCLH CEO Frank Del Rio Says It Will Take 90 Days To Relaunch US Cruises After CDC Gives a Green Light

njhorseman

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

So is the flu, but we do not cancel entire seasons of cruises for endemics.  Just pandemics.

It is still a mess as far as any prediction to when we might be past the pandemic stage.....and when cruise ships might ever be released to cruise in US waters.  Here is a quote today I just read.

Pfizer and BioNTech say they are testing if a third dose of their COVID-19 vaccine will trigger an enhanced immune response against new variants, according to CNBC. They are also in talks with regulatory authorities about testing a new vaccine modified to target the B1351 variant.

Moderna yesterday announced it has shipped a vaccine against the B1351 variant to the NIH.

"Leveraging the flexibility of our mRNA platform, we are moving quickly to test updates to the vaccines that address emerging variants of the virus in the clinic," Stephane Bancel, MBA, chief executive officer of Moderna, said in a press release yesterday.

"Moderna is committed to making as many updates to our vaccine as necessary until the pandemic is under control. We hope to demonstrate that booster doses, if necessary, can be done at lower dose levels, which will allow us to provide many more doses to the global community in late 2021 and 2022 if necessary."

CDC launches vaccine website

Since the B117 variant was identified in the United Kingdom, experts have warned that vaccination is a race that must be won before more transmissible, and possibly deadly, COVID-19 variants escape current vaccine protection.

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

So is the flu, but we do not cancel entire seasons of cruises for endemics.  Just pandemics.

I expect it to become endemic, because that's often how these respiratory viruses go. Epidemiologists think remnants of the Spanish Flu are still with us. But because viruses mutate so much, and because of how natural selection works in populations, they tend to become less deadly over time.

Nature finds a balance. If a virus kills too many people, it soon runs out of bodies to host it, and it needs a body to host it because it can't reproduce on its own.  If it's not contagious enough, it dies out from lack of reproduction.  Best "strategy" for a respiratory virus: make people sick enough to be coughing and sneezing, but not so sick that they will become incapacitated. Basically cold and flu levels. Sadly, weaker people will always be hurt by that, and some will die, and that's why we do vaccination as a public health measure.

I think covid will eventually find its golden mean (through evolution by mean of natural selection) and stay with us, as a contagious, but much less deadly virus. Unless, of course, it was heavily tinkered with in a lab and genetically engineered to behave differently...but that's another post ;)

Once we get to a place where it's endemic, all those people who were arguing with me in February and March 2020, that it's "Just like the flu!" will finally be right.  ;)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Trimone said:

How many people have had Flu since March 2020?

Just Googled.  From Oct to Feb, shows approximately 500,000 flu hospitalizations and approximately 50,000 flu deaths.  The results vary slightly depending on which source you look at.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Trimone said:

How many people have had Flu since March 2020?

I just happened to have looked that up yesterday. I my country (Canada), flu prevalence is way, way down. The flu season runs seasonally, so this season, including this year, it's down dramatically.

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

Just Googled.  From Oct to Feb, shows approximately 500,000 flu hospitalizations and approximately 50,000 flu deaths.  The results vary slightly depending on which source you look at.  

so not THAT much less......hmmmm....I had googled, but couldn't find much, thank you for finding it

5 hours ago, macandlucy said:

I expect it to become endemic, because that's often how these respiratory viruses go. Epidemiologists think remnants of the Spanish Flu are still with us. But because viruses mutate so much, and because of how natural selection works in populations, they tend to become less deadly over time.

Nature finds a balance. If a virus kills too many people, it soon runs out of bodies to host it, and it needs a body to host it because it can't reproduce on its own.  If it's not contagious enough, it dies out from lack of reproduction.  Best "strategy" for a respiratory virus: make people sick enough to be coughing and sneezing, but not so sick that they will become incapacitated. Basically cold and flu levels. Sadly, weaker people will always be hurt by that, and some will die, and that's why we do vaccination as a public health measure.

I think covid will eventually find its golden mean (through evolution by mean of natural selection) and stay with us, as a contagious, but much less deadly virus. Unless, of course, it was heavily tinkered with in a lab and genetically engineered to behave differently...but that's another post 😉

Once we get to a place where it's endemic, all those people who were arguing with me in February and March 2020, that it's "Just like the flu!" will finally be right.  😉

Isnt that what the Chinese scientist that defected from China said? That this was a virus created in the lab and not in nature (like Ebola) to be used as a bio weapon, and either escaped by accident (or God forbid on purpose.) She remains under heavy security in the US.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

Isnt that what the Chinese scientist that defected from China said? That this was a virus created in the lab and not in nature (like Ebola) to be used as a bio weapon, and either escaped by accident (or God forbid on purpose.) She remains under heavy security in the US.

Those condos at Area 51?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but...yes, her and a few other virologists have said that.  

I don't know where the virus came from, but I will say that without a doubt, the biggest red flag for me was how, within a month "all of science" had decided that there was no possible way it was from a lab.  I wasn't really thinking it was anything other than a typical zoonotic transmission until then. The reaction and flat out statements--of-indisputable-fact within a month was so bizarre it made me wonder!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, macandlucy said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but...yes, her and a few other virologists have said that.  

I don't know where the virus came from, but I will say that without a doubt, the biggest red flag for me was how, within a month "all of science" had decided that there was no possible way it was from a lab.  I wasn't really thinking it was anything other than a typical zoonotic transmission until then. The reaction and flat out statements--of-indisputable-fact within a month was so bizarre it made me wonder!

Yes, I agree with you- I cringe when I hear the word "experts"- like where were these experts in the beginning. I also cringed when I heard the term "flatten the curve"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GA Dave said:

NCLH Repatriation

Still thinking we will not see cruises until at least Fall.

I would be surprised if we had any in 2021 along with things like concerts and theatre. Also, I myself would not want to be among the first back to a concert or cruise- I'd like to see how they play out. 

I just can't imagine having to sit outside on a cruise ship or baseball game with a mask on- it defeats the purpose of going somewhat. 

3 hours ago, HowardK said:

I would be surprised if we had any in 2021 along with things like concerts and theatre. Also, I myself would not want to be among the first back to a concert or cruise- I'd like to see how they play out. 

I just can't imagine having to sit outside on a cruise ship or baseball game with a mask on- it defeats the purpose of going somewhat. 

It's already beginning.  The NYC hockey team (Rangers) had 2000 fans in the building last night.  Where I live the governor (who has been super strict in lock downs) just said he will allow 15% capacity at hockey games and indoor concerts and events.  I am in NC, so that would include the Carolina Hurricanes, and the Charlotte NBA team.    It's just March, if we continue forward, I think it is very easy to imagine exactly what you are talking about, and many of us are fine wearing the mask as a trade off to being able to do things again (for now, I wont leave the mask on forever).  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HowardK said:

Spring Training games start tomorrow and there will be fans in the stands, I believe 2000 in a venue that holds 8,000 to 10,000.  Masks are required and apparently it does not bother people as the tickets sold out in minutes.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2021 at 6:22 PM, jemz1949 said:

Has the someone with some inside news "Heard" anything about Europe or the Med?  Of course, asking for a friend.....

Frank Del Rio emphasized the importance of the European and Mediterranean markets in this week's conference.  Those are the money makers for them in the summer and I read his comments as favoring getting those ships sailing as soon as any.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Frank Del Rio emphasized the importance of the European and Mediterranean markets in this week's conference.  Those are the money makers for them in the summer and I read his comments as favoring getting those ships sailing as soon as any.

Not to mention the fact that there's virtually no chance there will be any significant amount of US-based cruising before late summer to early autumn making Europe the most likely starting point regardless of its profitability.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, oteixeira said:

It's already beginning.  The NYC hockey team (Rangers) had 2000 fans in the building last night.  Where I live the governor (who has been super strict in lock downs) just said he will allow 15% capacity at hockey games and indoor concerts and events.  I am in NC, so that would include the Carolina Hurricanes, and the Charlotte NBA team.    It's just March, if we continue forward, I think it is very easy to imagine exactly what you are talking about, and many of us are fine wearing the mask as a trade off to being able to do things again (for now, I wont leave the mask on forever).  

Thanks for posting. These are good signs. And, imo, things are looking better down the road with more vaccines coming out (i.e. Johnson & Johnson) and the actual administration of the vaccines (shots in arms) are improving by the day (in some states more than others).

Hopefully, we'll get back to the point where most everybody is vaccinated (like the flu vaccine), attendance at sporting events, concerts, etc are back to capacity and we don't have to wear masks anymore.

P.S. and oh yeah, cruising returns.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Not to mention the fact that there's virtually no chance there will be any significant amount of US-based cruising before late summer to early autumn making Europe the most likely starting point regardless of its profitability.

But how can people from North America get to Europe to take these cruises? Right now, we are not allowed to go to any European countries for tourism. I don't see this changing for the entire summer.

People flying to Europe for a cruise are not going to quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel at their expense before embarking on a cruise. The only people who might be o these cruises are Europeans, no Americans or Canadians or Chinese.

47 minutes ago, susiesan said:

But how can people from North America get to Europe to take these cruises? Right now, we are not allowed to go to any European countries for tourism. I don't see this changing for the entire summer.

People flying to Europe for a cruise are not going to quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel at their expense before embarking on a cruise. The only people who might be o these cruises are Europeans, no Americans or Canadians or Chinese.

I made no prediction about who might take those cruises, it very well might be mostly Europeans. I'm only saying that it's far more likely for NCL to restart in Europe than the US simply because there already is at least a limited amount of cruising taking place in Europe while it's going to be months before we are likely to see any action in the US.

Having been on some NCL European cruises I can tell you that they draw a fairly significant number of European passengers, so it's not as if NCL only appeals to North Americans. They have a European customer base and market presence. 

8 hours ago, Trimone said:

Looking like Southampton will be the busiest cruise terminal in 2021, only one problem the dreaded Bay of Biscay on the way to the Mediterranean...

Yes, and as of today 20 million of a 66 million population vaccinated.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I made no prediction about who might take those cruises, it very well might be mostly Europeans. I'm only saying that it's far more likely for NCL to restart in Europe than the US simply because there already is at least a limited amount of cruising taking place in Europe while it's going to be months before we are likely to see any action in the US.

Having been on some NCL European cruises I can tell you that they draw a fairly significant number of European passengers, so it's not as if NCL only appeals to North Americans. They have a European customer base and market presence. 

I would not count on the EU any time soon.
image.thumb.png.75162bbbe1f85e032658b3182b3711ca.png

• Like 1