Alaska Congresman Introduces Legislation Allowing the 2021 Cruise Season to Safely Commence

rspro

2 hours ago, JRG said:

A more likely scenario is that Canada re-opens it ports as soon as the bill starts getting traction on the floor and Lucy once again yanks the football from Charlie Brown's FGA. 

I fail to understand the logic underlying your comment. If the bill was ever to gain traction - it won't - there'd be no benefit to Canada in dropping its ban.

No way would this bill pass.  Too many embedded interests in the maritime industry (note that I didn't say cruise industry) would not want this to pass.  I'd think the easier solution would be for Alaska to succeed from the United States.  

3 hours ago, nocl said:

They won't put it into the climate change laws because that would assume party leadership would support it.  It would be hysterical to see how the environmental lobby would react to a global warmer bill working to get cruise ships (a major source of pollution and CO2) sailing.

it would be something further down the road,  I'm not stuck in the present.    Besides,   the environmental lobby is not out to end the cruising industry,  some may deplore cruising more than others but the point being missed here is the CO2 emissions would be reduced.  Did you not see that benefit?   

The cruiselines and CLIA at some point need to yield to 'sustainability'  best practices and

and if there is even the slightest decrease in C02 from future proposed legislation then it betters the

chance for passage.  Maybe not now,  maybe later.

I'm not really interested in comparisons like the part that is bolded.    I'm speaking metaphorically when I say put in in the climate law don't take it literally.

It makes sense to just wait anyways and let the talking heads roll.

3 hours ago, JRG said:

it would be something further down the road,  I'm not stuck in the present.    Besides,   the environmental lobby is not out to end the cruising industry,  some may deplore cruising more than others but the point being missed here is the CO2 emissions would be reduced.  Did you not see that benefit?   

The cruiselines and CLIA at some point need to yield to 'sustainability'  best practices and

and if there is even the slightest decrease in C02 from future proposed legislation then it betters the

chance for passage.  Maybe not now,  maybe later.

I'm not really interested in comparisons like the part that is bolded.    I'm speaking metaphorically when I say put in in the climate law don't take it literally.

It makes sense to just wait anyways and let the talking heads roll.

There would be zero emissions if cruises never restarted. What you propose is an increase. They probably are not out to end cruises but are likely ambivalent about them, or wouldn’t mind if there never were any more Alaska cruises. The environmental movement is not going to buy into supporting repealing the PVSA to reduce CO2 emissions. They are not idiots. Changes environmentalists would support would be ones that greatly restricted Alaskan cruises. 

Edited by Charles4515

37 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Have they come up with a cosponsor yet? Without that, the bill has no chance as I understand it.

Not even the 4 Congressmen who supported Young in his letter to Canada regarding technical stops.  It looks like he has support for Canada changing their rules, but nothing for the US doing so.

An interesting article on the topic appearing in today's Vancouver Sun:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/u-s-politicians-push-to-revive-alaska-cruises-with-victoria-as-technical-stop

This comment from a CLIA member seems quite telling:

Donna Spalding, Canada-based spokeswoman for the Cruise Lines International Association, said a large number of U.S. requirements need to be met before cruises can resume. “Would I say it’s impossible? No. But I would suggest stars would have to align to achieve it.”

• Like 3