Covid Tests to return to the US

DaveEasternPenn

I think I am correct that the US government is requiring passengers from overseas to have a negative Covid test within 72 hours of their flight that is returning to the US. How would you do that if, for example, you were on a Celebrity cruise ship and doing their daily excursions in foreign countries. This basically eliminates international cruise ship voyages, right?

3 minutes ago, DaveEasternPenn said:

I think I am correct that the US government is requiring passengers from overseas to have a negative Covid test within 72 hours of their flight that is returning to the US. How would you do that if, for example, you were on a Celebrity cruise ship and doing their daily excursions in foreign countries. This basically eliminates international cruise ship voyages, right?

My guess is that tests would be available on the ship. They would most likely charge for the test. Same would situation would apply if one did a TA on Apex and the day of arrival wanted to board a river cruise. There is a way to do it if Celebrity, or other lines could  see that they can make money from testing.

5 hours ago, Orator said:

My guess is that tests would be available on the ship. They would most likely charge for the test. Same would situation would apply if one did a TA on Apex and the day of arrival wanted to board a river cruise. There is a way to do it if Celebrity, or other lines could  see that they can make money from testing.

I agree that they will need to have tests available on the ship.  But I'm not sure I agree they would charge for the test - at least not outright.  Not that I think they would eat the cost - I think they are building that expectation into their ridiculously higher pricing right now.

But the real question is - if you test positive then what?  I'm sure a second test to confirm, but if still positive, what are their plans?  The CDC set some very strict guidelines for that situation but the cruise lines have really been silent about what their procedures would actually look like.  (for example, if they need to provide a quarantine location for you on land, what happens to your travel partners if they test negative? Are you stuck, potentially sick,  far away from home all alone?  Are you charged for the quarantine?  If so, how much?  and on and on and on)   I'd really like to know the answer to those questions before I set foot on another cruise.

• Thanks 1

I think if you test positive during your cruise, depending on where the ship is & how much longer the cruise is you could be quarantined on board until the ship docks. Any expenses of treatment or quarantine would be the passengers responsibly. No different than if you vacation at a resort, or theme park  in the US.  If you get sick while there you pay your expenses.

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree that they will need to have tests available on the ship.  But I'm not sure I agree they would charge for the test - at least not outright.  Not that I think they would eat the cost - I think they are building that expectation into their ridiculously higher pricing right now.

But the real question is - if you test positive then what?  I'm sure a second test to confirm, but if still positive, what are their plans?  The CDC set some very strict guidelines for that situation but the cruise lines have really been silent about what their procedures would actually look like.  (for example, if they need to provide a quarantine location for you on land, what happens to your travel partners if they test negative? Are you stuck, potentially sick,  far away from home all alone?  Are you charged for the quarantine?  If so, how much?  and on and on and on)   I'd really like to know the answer to those questions before I set foot on another cruise.

If you test positive then most likely your travel partners will be quarantined due to being exposed to you and will be unlikely to leave also. 

I agree about the fact that these questions need to be answered. Although I suspect that the cruise lines will contract with a hotel to provide quarantining space. I doubt the CDC will allow the cruise lines to release you on the honor system. I did see an article about a uniworld cruise having a positive test mid cruise and they returned to the home port and quarantined their passengers at a local hotel. 

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

I think if you test positive during your cruise, depending on where the ship is & how much longer the cruise is you could be quarantined on board until the ship docks. Any expenses of treatment or quarantine would be the passengers responsibly. No different than if you vacation at a resort, or theme park  in the US.  If you get sick while there you pay your expenses.

I agree that passengers will be responsible for paying the expenses. But very different than if you "vacation at a resort or theme park in the US". I've never gotten sick on a vacation and been unable to go home on my scheduled departure date. Curious how this will look. Enough people have trouble paying a surprise liquor bill or medical center bill at the end of the cruise. Not sure how they will get hotels to take people if the person refuses to put a credit down or pay for the room charges.... It's a sticky legal situation.  I assume they will have to write acceptance of this into terms of the cruise contracts when they restart. 

14 hours ago, marieps said:

We are flying to a Mexican AI tomorrow and tests are done on sight.  Anyone positive is allowed to stay free until negative.  It's included in the cost.  

Haha, I am so jealous. We are not even allowed to travel outside of our own area much less go to a resort. Have an absolute ball - have a few cocktails for me and a few beers for the firefighter, don’t forget the lime. Elaine

• Like 3

All this is already done by cruise lines already cruising... TUI, MSC, Aida, Costa. TUI Cruises Germany was one of the first to start cruises again in Summer 2020. It is a joint venture of RCG and often mentioned as an example by Richard Fain in his videos. You can be sure that RCG are closely watching. So far TUI had over 70,000 passengers sailing under Covid guidelines - and only 4 detected and isolated cases. A proven system.

The 4 cases were detected by testing positive during the disembarkation process. So exactly what’s asked here. The test is part of the requirements to fly back home to Germany from the Canary Islands. The tests are organized by the cruise line.

TUI include a so called Covid Protection Plan into their fare. It pays for the test, possible medical cost, quarantine cost etc.

In order to receive the approval to sail, the cruise lines also had to present emergency protocols agreed upon with the destination ports. Meaning locations for quarantine (sometimes hotels) and medical treatments had to be arranged.

The only situation not covered by the included plan is the risk of being denied to embark/travel due to a positive test before the trip/cruise. An extra insurance is needed to cover that. We paid like 15 Euro for it when we cruised in October.

The other mentioned lines have very similar offers.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good discussion, especially MIAMINICE post above, but it assumes that the CDC will release US cruises in our lifetime.  Our next booking is an ABC on Equinox 8/27/21.  It's long been on our bucket list but I'm not holding my breath that it will happen.  The more I read about the interaction between the CDC and the industry the more convinced I become that the industry is way down the list of CDC concerns.  Understandable to a point I suppose.

27 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Good discussion, especially MIAMINICE post above, but it assumes that the CDC will release US cruises in our lifetime.  Our next booking is an ABC on Equinox 8/27/21.  It's long been on our bucket list but I'm not holding my breath that it will happen.  The more I read about the interaction between the CDC and the industry the more convinced I become that the industry is way down the list of CDC concerns.  Understandable to a point I suppose.

Keep in mind the cruiselines had months and months to respond to the CDC and the only thing that came out of it was the Healthy Sail Panel between NCL and RCG. And all it did was rehash the obvious. People can blame the CDC all day, but the cruiselines have also done a whole lot of sitting on their hands. Based on Fain's comments last week, I'm not convinced they are doing a whole lot now other than watching vaccine numbers increase. 

I do think this expected next set of steps will address most of the concerns mentioned here about what happens to positive passengers as this seems to be a big sticking point (which it should be). 

8 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I agree that passengers will be responsible for paying the expenses. But very different than if you "vacation at a resort or theme park in the US". I've never gotten sick on a vacation and been unable to go home on my scheduled departure date. Curious how this will look. Enough people have trouble paying a surprise liquor bill or medical center bill at the end of the cruise. Not sure how they will get hotels to take people if the person refuses to put a credit down or pay for the room charges.... It's a sticky legal situation.  I assume they will have to write acceptance of this into terms of the cruise contracts when they restart. 

Europeans cruises are using a built in insurance policy. The cruise contract could also require a credit card or cash equivalent to absorb some cost. I think the requirements will be well laid out so no one can use the excuse that they can't afford it to skirt the process. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jelayne said:

Per the Celebrity Cruise Ticket contract updated 10/20/2020, section 4f:

f. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Passenger understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Passenger has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Passenger tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Passenger as well as members of Passenger’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Passenger with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund or future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. For further details, refer to Carrier’s refund and cancellation policy at www.celebritycruises.com. Each such Passenger is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Passenger for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger. 

Quarantining is one thing but the possibility of forced Disembarking, or refusing re-boarding after a shore excursion, at a foreign port is very concerning.

2 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

Quarantining is one thing but the possibility of forced Disembarking, or refusing re-boarding after a shore excursion, at a foreign port is very concerning.

Haven't they always reserved the right to force disembarking mid cruise? I thought that was already in the contract to protect them in case of misbehavior on the guests part or an unforseen catastrophe. 

This is in a contract from March 2018

"e. Carrier may also change accommodations, alter or cancel any activities of, deny service of alcohol to, confine to a stateroom or quarantine, search the stateroom, property or baggage of any Passenger, change a Passenger’s Land Tour, disembark or refuse to embark the Passenger and/or any Passenger responsible for any minor Passenger, or restrain any Passenger at any time, without liability, at the risk and expense of the Passenger, when in the sole opinion of Carrier or Captain the Passenger’s conduct or presence, or that of any minor for whom the Passenger is responsible, is believed to present a possible danger, security risk or be detrimental to himself or the health, welfare, comfort or enjoyment of others, or is in violation of any provision of this Agreement."

• Like 1

It’s interesting that folks from the U.S. are traveling outside of the U.S. for vacations!     All non essential travel overseas is supposedly off limits.   Guess those rules don’t apply if you want to go on vacation!     Has Biden changed this rule?    I actually thought he was going to be more restrictive.

3 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

Passenger tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Passenger as well as members of Passenger’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others.

This has been my concern all along.   I guess I can understand being disembarked if you require medical attention exceeding what can be done onboard.  My hope was that if you just tested positive and were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms you would be isolated for the remainder of the sailing.

I'm afraid they would want you (and your traveling party) off the ship as soon as possible to protect themselves.   I don't think we will see a clear definition of their policy.   I've looked at the RCL Quantum information and they just say they have a tiered response policy with zero details.

9 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

This has been my concern all along.   I guess I can understand being disembarked if you require medical attention exceeding what can be done onboard.  My hope was that if you just tested positive and were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms you would be isolated for the remainder of the sailing.

I'm afraid they would want you (and your traveling party) off the ship as soon as possible to protect themselves.   I don't think we will see a clear definition of their policy.   I've looked at the RCL Quantum information and they just say they have a tiered response policy with zero details.

This seems somewhat like the case when a  passenger is quarantined on board when diagnosed with norovirus.   You cannot leave your room and food is delivered via  room service.  I guess we will obtain more details which will include what testing may take place and what will happen if one tests positive.  

12 hours ago, hcat said:

Getting thrown off in a distant port. Is a very huge concern!

Who knows what might happen there, esp if the person does become ill?

Scary!

I hear ya! However, as mentioned by others above, this is not new... so if it is a major concern, one needs to rethink traveling or cruising.

Edited by Miaminice

10 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

My hope was that if you just tested positive and were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms you would be isolated for the remainder of the sailing.

Risking a spread in such a closed environment... possibly because of the quarantined person not obeying the regulations. Better not!

13 hours ago, hcat said:

Getting thrown off in a distant port. Is a very huge concern!

Who knows what might happen there, esp if the person does become ill?

Scary!

hcat- we always have an annual GeoBlue travel policy to supplement our health coverage.  Not very expensive.  It has enhanced Covid-19 coverage added (see below).  But here is what I really like about it.  Before we leave the US,  we research where we are going on the GeoBlue website.  We print out the country-specific GeoBlue health contacts (hospitals, clinics, etc) for every port stop.  So if anything happens we know who to call and where we will be covered.  We even had this info when we traveled to Russia.  And we know who has been certified by the GeoBlue program,.  We have never had to use it but piece of mind!

https://about.geo-blue.com/crisisalert/covid19-members

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am Canadian.  I have a March 2022, Eastern cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.  
I plan on booking a hotel room for our return day encase we have to take a test. Hopefully a test won’t be needed to fly home by March.

I would not know where to take a test.  
Can the test be done a pharmacy in Ft Lauderdale?

Do you have to make an appointment?

What is the time period to get the results back?

What would the cost be?

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

hcat- we always have an annual GeoBlue travel policy to supplement our health coverage.  Not very expensive.  It has enhanced Covid-19 coverage added (see below).  But here is what I really like about it.  Before we leave the US,  we research where we are going on the GeoBlue website.  We print out the country-specific GeoBlue health contacts (hospitals, clinics, etc) for every port stop.  So if anything happens we know who to call and where we will be covered.  We even had this info when we traveled to Russia.  And we know who has been certified by the GeoBlue program,.  We have never had to use it but piece of mind!

https://about.geo-blue.com/crisisalert/covid19-members

This is the first I've heard that they have added covid coverage back to the Trekker plans.  I have had an annual policy from them in the past as well.  This is good to see but note quarantining costs are not covered.

"*Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) are not subject to the above exception and are covered as any other Injury or Illness. Medical Expenses associated with asymptomatic testing or expenses for quarantining(confinement outside of a hospital setting) are not covered under this Plan."

We have a TransAtlantic cruise on Reflection from Rome to Florida booked.  Cruise is 22 Oct and I did some research on getting a COVID-19 test in Italy before we cruise home.   Currently, the USA required the negative test if flying into the country.   Still, I anticipate that we would need the test to board and probably enter the country.

Also, we have five ports (in Europe) prior to arriving at Ft. Lauderdale.   Getting COVID-19 at a port would be a problem.   We both have had the Pfizer vaccine (both doses), but it could still happen.

Our main concern now is that will we be able to do any touring in Italy prior to the cruise.   We don't book these TA cruises just for the cruise, we book them as a good way home after some touring in Europe.  The EU is way behind the USA and the UK in vaccinating it people.