The Daily for Saturday Feb 27, 2021

richwmn

Today is Polar Bear Day, No Brainer Day, and Open That Bottle Night

The whole secret of life is to be interested in one thing profoundly and in a thousand things well. - Horace Walpole

Meal suggestion for today - Ham and Bean Stew

Drink of the Day - The Mohawk

Wine of the day - Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes - France

At Sea Eng Chan
Eurodam Destination Torquay eta 2/27

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Baja
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 3/3

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0227USA.thumb.png.41133c03db88d5c3f87a47f0660af59f.png

0227Tor.thumb.png.652a296aa9fbabcc435419ff34d93763.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Quite an interesting collection of days.  Polar Bears are majestic but scary and threatened.  Love the quote, and the meal suggestion sounds nice.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Koningsdam February 27, 2017:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/dishes27.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

puppycanducruise DH recovering from root canal

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Second jab for smitty34877

Visiting privileges for NextOne

AstraZenica approval in Canada

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone!

Today looks like it will turn out well.  A bit of rain to start, but clearing by 10:00 am, so we are going to try the trail in a park we haven't been to before.  It is amazing what some fresh air can do for you as well as all the endorphins I'll be releasing.  

Today's meal sounds interesting.  There are some great suggestions for doctoring it up in the comments.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ham-and-bean-stew/

Ham and Bean Stew.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good Saturday morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

A light snow falling this morning,  we may get rain this afternoon.

Polar bears are wonderful and a threatened species.  Climate change is not their friend.

No Brainer Day - love it!  And we will be opening a bottle of wine tonight.

Great quote.

Interesting dinner suggestions, I've got chicken wings on the menu for us.

Looking forward to reading about the drink of the day and the wine.

Thanks for the good wishes for my sweetie - he came through his root canal with no problems.  His jaw was a little sore,  but nothing serious.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Crystal Symphony Antarctica cruise that started with a pair of Cunard transatlantics.  As February 17 started we were approaching the Miraflores locks on the Panama Canal:

dawn0227.jpg

Roy

• Like 31

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy!  Interesting group of days, will open a bottle of wine tonight.  The quote is so true for me.  The meal sounds and looks good.

Prayers and virtual hugs for both of our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Mohawk cocktail:

It may be illegal to smoke in bars these days, but you can put the nicotine back in your beverage with this tobacco syrup-laced libation.

For The Mohawk:
¾ ounces tobacco syrup (see recipe below)
2½ ounces Rye Whiskey
½ ounces Bonal Gentiane-Quina
Dash of Decanter bitters
Lemon twist, for garnish

For Tobacco syrup:
Dried whole leaf tobacco
2 cups water
2 cups granulated sugar

To make tobacco syrup: Bring cold water to a boil in a saucepan, add sugar, then lower heat. Next, add dried tobacco leaf and stir constantly until sugar dissolves completely. Test if sugar is completely dissolved by using a metal spoon to scoop up a small bit of syrup. Tilt it over the pan and watch carefully. There should be no crystals in the liquid. Let syrup cool to room temperature. Pour into a clean glass jar and refrigerate.

To make The Mohawk: Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker. Stir with ice and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with lemon twist.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 7.20.34 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good  morning  everyone.  DH  and  I  have  very  minor effects  from  our  second  covid  jab.  I  feel  somewhat  tired  with  a  sore arm. Thank  you  for  your  good  wishes!

It  is  raining  here which  will  hopefully  erase  our  dirty  snow  piles. I  like  the  soup  recipe  but  would add  a  few  things  to  jazz  it  up as  Debbie says.  Dinner  tonight  will  be  planned  leftovers which  is  fine.

The  most  fabulous news  that  I  have  today is  that  we  are  planning  a  trip  to  New  Hampshire. My  son  and  his  family(grandchildren !!) live  there   and  we  have  not  seen them  in 14  months. I  could  hardly  sleep    thinking  about  all   of  it......Terry

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a fine combination of days! I do appreciate Polar bears - just from a distance. Love the other two days, but one slightly more than the other. Everyone gets one guess which one I favor. 

Roy, thank you for our lists. Hope the pain of Roger’s passing is easing a bit. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters!  It is another exquisite day in the neighborhood. Love the quote. The meal looks okay. But that drink. I might try a sip of someone else’s, but just the thought. Ewww. 

Tonight we are visiting our beachfront winery, in hopes of seeing the full moon come up over the water again. Last night’s pic was just a trial run. 😎I will grab something to eat there. Last night I learned, much to my surprise, that fried ice cream is a Chinese creation dating back to the 1800s! I always believed that Mexico introduced it to the world. 

Heading off to Pilates and then a haircut! 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This extremely pricey dessert wine has won numerous awards over the last decades. And every vintage released with their label is superbly rated! The cheapest online price I found was $408. But you might be able to get it for a better price. As a dessert wine, a bottle would last a very long time.  I’ve included a link for those who want to see what reviewers say about it.  https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/d+yquem+sauternes+bordeaux+france#t3

Note: Many of the reviews are non-English.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good Saturday morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

A light snow falling this morning,  we may get rain this afternoon.

Polar bears are wonderful and a threatened species.  Climate change is not their friend.

No Brainer Day - love it!  And we will be opening a bottle of wine tonight.

Great quote.

Interesting dinner suggestions, I've got chicken wings on the menu for us.

Looking forward to reading about the drink of the day and the wine.

Thanks for the good wishes for my sweetie - he came through his root canal with no problems.  His jaw was a little sore,  but nothing serious.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

Glad your DH is doing well!

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  everyone.  DH  and  I  have  very  minor effects  from  our  second  covid  jab.  I  feel  somewhat  tired  with  a  sore arm. Thank  you  for  your  good  wishes!

It  is  raining  here which  will  hopefully  erase  our  dirty  snow  piles. I  like  the  soup  recipe  but  would add  a  few  things  to  jazz  it  up as  Debbie says.  Dinner  tonight  will  be  planned  leftovers which  is  fine.

The  most  fabulous news  that  I  have  today is  that  we  are  planning  a  trip  to  New  Hampshire. My  son  and  his  family(grandchildren !!) live  there   and  we  have  not  seen them  in 14  months. I  could  hardly  sleep    thinking  about  all   of  it......Terry

Terry, how wonderful for you. Think how excited your grandchildren are!  

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Love polar bears, but don't want to be too close to one; every day is a No Brainer Day for us, and I'll open a new box of Cardboardeaux tonight instead of a bottle.

Thank you to everyone for your caring thoughts during our "cold spell" in the house yesterday.  It was pretty chilly by the time the furnace came back on about mid-afternoon, but thankfully the repair guy was able to get a new motor installed for us.  The saving grace for us was that it wasn't -45 outside, or the house would have been much colder.  And, that the motor decided to give up the ghost on a weekday, not on a weekend when many places would be closed, ending in a much larger repair bill!

Not a fan of today's menu suggestion, but love the looks of Roy's alternative.  I'm going to try a new pineapple chicken recipe in the slow cooker today to see what it's like.  Combined with rice and sliced cucumbers, I think it will make a nice dinner for us on a Saturday night.  And wine.

I don't think I'd like to try today's cocktail; just reading it, then seeing the photo reminds me of bygone days when we'd have parties (when people still smoked) and we'd find cigarette butts in the bottom of beer bottles in the morning.  If anyone tries the drink, please let us know what you think.

@smitty34877I'm excited for you; I can't wait to put my arms around our darling grandsons again!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27

Good morning Rich. Thanks a bunch for our Daily oh faithful friend. 

Roy, still in my prayers. It won't be too much longer til next procedure. How are you feeling?

To my adorable sisters:::: It's pop the bottle night! A celebration we can commit to! Good morning Dailyites!

Ok, who in the world would come up with that drink? A Mohawk?? Allen used to chew on fresh tobacco leaves when he was farming.. just.. ICK.

The ham and bean stew doesn't look anything like I make.. is that pork and beans in there?

It's a misty morning here. Our birds are eating happily and the windchimes are singing.. it's a good day. 

Claudio and his guys spent the day on our extended patio. In about 3 weeks I can share what the outcome is. 

Take care, have a great weekend. Blessings,  prayers and cheers. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I love polar bears, but not up close and personal. We took a ride yesterday to check out the VA facility where DH will get his first shot on Monday. Our daughter also scored a first shot for next week at one of NJ megasites. So, now we just wait for my doctors to give me the go ahead  and say yes or nay. Looks like if I  don’t get the shot, I will be barred from flying and or cruising. I’ll do whatever they advise me to do.

Stay safe and wear your masks.

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 19

It is supposed to get to the mid 40s (F) today - And then several inches of snow tonight and Sunday! But it should not last too long as we go back into a warming trend on Tuesday. 

The question is, what to grill today? Sirloin? Shrimp? Maybe both!

The Mohawk cocktail sounds like a horrifyingly bad idea - why do that to a delicious rye whiskey?!

Returning from our snorkel excursion in Cabo with the Diamond Princess sailing in to join us -

DSC02674.thumb.JPG.a8e0ce37089ce0e9f5bfceb40eb37345.JPG
581095217_DSC02673(2).thumb.JPG.5bc535fa3926ae9508d2cf3778def39a.JPG

376928628_DSC02672(2).thumb.JPG.f1dac81dc8977bf7c081af713d1cd955.JPG

407722975_DSC02676(2).thumb.JPG.c4080d23a76666eb8d824550e6f0fcf8.JPG

1875237142_DSC02697(2).thumb.JPG.91c684f575b3cb27db45c3ad9b3b20cb.JPG

• Like 26