Size of ships fro a world cruise

sjde

Can anyone tell me what are the smallest and largest cruise ships used for a world cruise, in terms of number of passemgers? I'm trying to get an idea of where the Island Princess fits in with 2200 passengers. Thanks!

57 minutes ago, sjde said:

Can anyone tell me what are the smallest and largest cruise ships used for a world cruise, in terms of number of passemgers? I'm trying to get an idea of where the Island Princess fits in with 2200 passengers. Thanks!

Smallest - probably Silversea at < 300

Largest - MSC Divina at about 3,500

Note - Princess is using the Coral Princess R/T Sydney, which is the French built sister ship to Island. Unfortunately, Princess added additional cabins to Island, which was such a failure that the same modifications were not completed on Coral. Therefore, Coral is a superior ship to Island. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sjde said:

The Amsterdam's guest capacity was around 1300.  Never felt "full" except at prime meal times in the Lido Restaurant.  Two seatings for dinner; never had an issue in finding a seat in the theater for a show or presentation.  Plenty of open deck space for observing the area in which the ship was sailing and deck chairs.  IMO, a major advantage to HAL ships is the Crow's Nest regarding to sightseeing.  During inclement weather when the ship is sailing in a scenic area, one can be inside, with seating, and if commentary is being provided, one can hear what the commentator is saying.  

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately, Princess added additional cabins to Island, which was such a failure that the same modifications were not completed on Coral. Therefore, Coral is a superior ship to Island. 

Island Princess got "butchered" just as HAL did to the Rotterdam and the Veendam.  All in the name of trying to increase revenue, but to the disadvantage of the guests.  Check the deck plans for Island Princess as compared to Coral Princess.  Pay attention to the aft areas of the ships.  Island lost a large public room and open deck space for guests for sightseeing possibilities.  I have sailed on Coral Princess on an Alaskan cruise.  She is a very comfortable and guest friendly ship.  Note:  neither Coral or Island Princess have a forward facing lounge like the Crow's Nest.  Their buffet restaurant occupies that space.  Sightseeing during meal times?  Good luck finding a seat!  Out of meal times:  the seating is less comfortable as one should find in the Crow's Nest.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Island Princess got "butchered" just as HAL did to the Rotterdam and the Veendam.  All in the name of trying to increase revenue, but to the disadvantage of the guests.  Check the deck plans for Island Princess as compared to Coral Princess.  Pay attention to the aft areas of the ships.  Island lost a large public room and open deck space for guests for sightseeing possibilities.  I have sailed on Coral Princess on an Alaskan cruise.  She is a very comfortable and guest friendly ship.  Note:  neither Coral or Island Princess have a forward facing lounge like the Crow's Nest.  Their buffet restaurant occupies that space.  Sightseeing during meal times?  Good luck finding a seat!  Out of meal times:  the seating is less comfortable as one should find in the Crow's Nest.  

When we would sail with Princess, the Island, Coral, Diamond and Sapphire were our 4 favourite ships. Haven't sailed on Island since it was Carnavalised, but have not read any positive comments.

They also ruined the Grand Class from Caribbean Princess onward. They added an extra full deck of cabins, but same hull and public spaces. The original Grands, of which Diamond & Sapphire were the 2 best, as they were built in Japan, were great ships. 

• Like 1

So no other line has anything like the Crow's Nest for sightseeing?  Sounds like that would be great for Alaska.

What are some of the small ports a ship with 2200 pssengers would be too large to go to?

31 minutes ago, sjde said:

So no other line has anything like the Crow's Nest for sightseeing?  Sounds like that would be great for Alaska.

What are some of the small ports a ship with 2200 pssengers would be too large to go to?

Negative, panoramic lounges are/were available on many ships.

Viking has the double deck Explorer's Lounge fwd on Decks 7 & 8. Very comfortable lounge, with a bar on Dk 7. Both decks have an extensive library operating on the honour systen and lots of comfortable chairs.

With the main-stream lines, fwd facing lounges are becoming locations that require an extra fee. Princess have the Sanctuary, which on the ships we sailed with is more of an outer deck space, with covers.

Princess Grand Class ships have a lounge/nightclub across the stern that has almost 360 degree views. When we sailed with Princess that lounge was free, not sure about present.

RKA can confirm, but I seem to recall reading that the HAL Crow's Nest also requires an extra fee.

Royal Caribbean ships had the signature Viking Crown Lounge at the funnel, which had a good panorama view of the horizon. Not sure if they still exist.

11 hours ago, sjde said:

Every ship I’ve been on in the past 30 years or so of cruising has had a forward lounge on a high deck for viewing the scenery.

Oceania does the world cruise in Insignia ... 684 pax ... forward lounge Horizons on deck 10.

Edited by 2552phxcrzr

I was just on Holland America’s Zaandam before the shutdown. There was no fee to use the Crows Nest then, nor has there been anytime I’ve sailed with HAL. Cunard’s ships also all have forward facing lounges, and none of them charge a fee. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/27/2021 at 10:58 PM, sjde said:

Downtown Shanghai - a place that I would not want to miss.  We were  on the Amsterdam in 2018.  The lights of the city at night are a delight.  The Amsterdam is the largest HAL ship that can dock downtown.  HAL's Westerdam had to be docked up river, which, I think, was about a half an hour away.  Personally, I would much prefer a smaller ship for the  WC.  One of the major attractions in such a cruise is to see ports not typically available to cruise passengers.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

The Amsterdam is the largest HAL ship that can dock downtown.  HAL's Westerdam had to be docked up river, which, I think, was about a half an hour away.

2002 Asia Pacific Cruise on the Volendam, we were to dock in downtown Shanghai.  We ended up where the Westerdam was.  Delayed sailing from our previous Chinese port resulted us in missing the proper tidal conditions to get into Shanghai as well as the proper traffic scheme for that waterway.  Your memory was correct about the length of time to get to the ship.  It was at least 30 minutes.  

6 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Downtown Shanghai - a place that I would not want to miss.  We were  on the Amsterdam in 2018.  The lights of the city at night are a delight.  The Amsterdam is the largest HAL ship that can dock downtown.  HAL's Westerdam had to be docked up river, which, I think, was about a half an hour away.  Personally, I would much prefer a smaller ship for the  WC.  One of the major attractions in such a cruise is to see ports not typically available to cruise passengers.  

The Amsterdam is no longer part of the HAL fleet, as she was sold to Fred Olsen Line last year. She is now the MV Bolette. They also sold Rotterdam to the same cruise line, which is now MV Borealis.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Amsterdam is no longer part of the HAL fleet, as she was sold to Fred Olsen Line last year. She is now the MV Bolette. They also sold Rotterdam to the same cruise line, which is now MV Borealis.

Yes.  My point was that the advantage of the smaller ships.  And I am so disappointed that the Amsterdam has been sold.  However, the Zaandam is presently taking the HAL WC.  What happens in future years . . . I don't want to contemplate.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I cannot tell you the joys of a small ship compared to a large one on WCs. On Oceania you could never tell where we we would dock The Capt. would announce we got a better berth right in town. NO lines either. I was booked on 2021 but they cancelled.  Best itin ever. Food best ever and not boring.                 Hope to get on 24 if we like the itinerary.

On 12/11/2021 at 5:30 PM, zoncom said:

I cannot tell you the joys of a small ship compared to a large one on WCs. On Oceania you could never tell where we we would dock The Capt. would announce we got a better berth right in town. NO lines either. I was booked on 2021 but they cancelled.  Best itin ever. Food best ever and not boring.                 Hope to get on 24 if we like the itinerary.

Agreed.  We are on the Oceania Insignia for the 2023 ATW and chose it partly because of the size and very much for the itinerary.  With only 684 passengers and large open spaces, crowds shouldn't be an issue.  We spent three weeks on it a few years ago when it was at capacity and enjoyed every minute of it.