Cruising Without Masks?

8 hours ago, LeeRB said:

I had not heard anything about the vaccination information going into database somewhere, but it makes sense that they would be compiling the information somewhere with all the chatter about vaccination passports. The clinic I went to was a drive through operation at a fire station processing 12 vehicles a time in the truck bays, plus a walk-in line. They did somewhere around 6,500 shots in five days the week of 8 February. I had to fill out a form before receiving the shot. The form wanted my name, address and phone number, email address, gender, ethnicity, race, and both my parent’s full names; plus there were 8 questions I had to answer. I am going to try and find out if there is a database somewhere that they are compiling this information.  

Rick

Immunizations in RI are going into a state database.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Immunizations in RI are going into a state database.

I’m pretty sure most sites run by the State took information about who was getting each shot and lot number. I’ve gotten a few emails from Advent Health regarding my vaccine status.  Not sure what/how the Federal sites are doing with the data. 

M8

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m pretty sure most sites run by the State took information about who was getting each shot and lot number. I’ve gotten a few emails from Advent Health regarding my vaccine status.  Not sure what/how the Federal sites are doing with the data. 

M8

I didn't know there were federal sites. All the feds seem to be doing is supplying vaccine to the states and telling them to figure out the rest.

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So you want no mask and no vaccine requirement on the ships. I don't forsee that happening anytime soon.

If i was this person and i couldnt have a vaccine for health reasons i dont think a cruise ship in a pandemic would be the place to go on holiday....

Masks would be the least of my concerns at that stage

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I didn't know there were federal sites. All the feds seem to be doing is supplying vaccine to the states and telling them to figure out the rest.

That’s a good question. I got the impression the Federal sites and vaccines were out of State control. It’s entirely possible the Federal allotment, or Federal location for vaccines is still injected by the State. I don’t know. These are locations the Federal Gov have shipped vaccines too outside of State control. Unfortunately, the local media is reporting that those Federal vaccines are under utilized. There was a report this AM that not all the vaccines thawed out were used. People just didn’t show up in the numbers expected. Sad 

M8

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think texas has 3 federal sites, but I wasnt paying much attention. I could google it.

Fairpark site which is the state fair grounds, here in dallas, was taken over by the feds, not a brand new site. Politicians complained it did not add to vaccines shipped, they just are taking over and using doses part of already allocated to dallas. I've read who is running it, maybe national guard, guys in uniforms etc. I dont know much about troops tbh. But I'm sure it's considered a federal site at this time.

Ok I googled it and says 3 new sites. Not sure what the word new means. I thought i read Arlington site had closed, but its listed as a new site, as is fairpark, when it's not new, only new to be run by the feds.

...anyway, I'm sure there are federal run sites. 2 of these 3 are near me.

20210304_072829414.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I probably am not saying it clearly. I had both my jabs at fairpark when it was run by dallas.

Biden held a press conference saying he was opening new federal vaccine sites ..and it turns out 1 was where I had gone. What it actually meant was on feb 22, dallas quit running the site, and texas natl guard took over running it. ..that's why I'm questioning the word new...it wasnt a new site, nor did it increase doses here. It was just a poorly run site having issues.

But for sure we do have federally run sites here in texas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

So you want no mask and no vaccine requirement on the ships. I don't forsee that happening anytime soon.

That will NEVER EVER happen for one simple reason. I doubt ships will have the ability to deal with a serious outbreak onboard if people need Oxygen or Ventilators or whatever else they may need. They can probably treat what 5 people in the sickbay maximum?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree that the first cruises will require one or both, but I see the requirement going away by the end of the year for two reasons.  1 - There are a lot of people like me who won't cruise until that is the case and the cruise lines are hurting and need all of the business they can get, so they will push for the lifting of those requirements.  2 - That will be possible, because by summertime we will be at herd immunity and the virus will almost disappear.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

I agree that the first cruises will require one or both, but I see the requirement going away by the end of the year for two reasons.  1 - There are a lot of people like me who won't cruise until that is the case and the cruise lines are hurting and need all of the business they can get, so they will push for the lifting of those requirements.  2 - That will be possible, because by summertime we will be at herd immunity and the virus will almost disappear.

It's going to take a while to get cruise lines back up to all of the ships sailing, just due to getting staff and logistics back up and running. Also keep in mind, that some cruise lines have been scrapping or selling off ships, therefor the number of passengers has been reduced. That means, the cruise lines will need less passengers to sail at capacity, they will likely be targeting those with higher incomes, which currently have a much higher % vaccinated and desire to be vaccinated in the USA.
So, I don't see it being an issue requiring vaccinated passengers, I could see it slowly being relaxed to allow for exemptions for medical reason with a doctor's note.

Also, many of the countries that the ships will be docking at are far behind the USA in getting enough vaccine for their population. The host country will be dictating the requirements. I suspect it will be 3 years before the cruise lines return to pre-covid cruising.

43 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

That will NEVER EVER happen for one simple reason. I doubt ships will have the ability to deal with a serious outbreak onboard if people need Oxygen or Ventilators or whatever else they may need. They can probably treat what 5 people in the sickbay maximum?

The ships would medically evacuate people that test positive at the ports and not keep them onboard, since they don't have the staff or equipment to deal with an outbreak. The smaller island nations don't have the resources to handle 10-30 patients + house the  cruises that were in close contact for the 14 day quarantine period.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

That is unlikely. Your profile indicates you're in the UK, so I'll just say that the CDC in the United States has developed a comprehensive list of what to do in the event of an onboard outbreak of Covid. It's a long document, but worth reading if you have time. Also, I would note that MSC has been sailing its ship the Grandiosa since last August. They have a process in place for how to deal with Covid cases, and it's working. Here's the CDC document I mentioned:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf

Check out page 34 for specific examples of what a cruise line would need to do in the event people become ill. The entire document is 40 pp long, not a quick read, but very informative.

-Stephen

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

CANNOT or WILLNOT are two different things. If you CANNOT they may make exemption but they will want proof that can be confirmed by your doctor in some fashion and not something you can forge on Microsoft Word I imagine. If you WILLNOT then hard lines.

While cannot and will not are different things, in the case of a vaccination requirement they are the same. The purpose of the requirement is to greatly reduce the possibility of infection and to minimize the seriousness of any infection. An unvaccinated person, regardless of reason run counter to those goals.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I probably am not saying it clearly. I had both my jabs at fairpark when it was run by dallas.

Biden held a press conference saying he was opening new federal vaccine sites ..and it turns out 1 was where I had gone. What it actually meant was on feb 22, dallas quit running the site, and texas natl guard took over running it. ..that's why I'm questioning the word new...it wasnt a new site, nor did it increase doses here. It was just a poorly run site having issues.

But for sure we do have federally run sites here in texas.

I’m not sure the Federal take over really added anything to what was already going on. Just a ploy to make oneself look good. My take. If anything, it seems to have made matters worse if local news reports are true, unused vaccines. 

M8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Here's an eye opening comparison of covid trends in states with mask mandates compared to without

I live in SC and have to put a side note in for the state.  Our governor has never mandated a statewide mask order because he said our state constitution will not allow him to do so.  However, with his encouragement,  most counties and local communities enacted their own mandates.  A few counties, like the one I live in, did not renew their mask mandate even though the local cities and towns continued their own. Enforcement runs about the same (some towns are more active in enforcement than others)  Rural county business decided on their own whether to require a mask.   Some did, some did not.  IMO, easing of mask requirements will run about the same.  It will be interesting to see what the vacation destinations do in terms of covid rules and restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

. Also keep in mind, that some cruise lines have been scrapping or selling off ships, therefor the number of passengers has been reduced. 

It had already been established that with the new builds coming on line there are going to be more berths even accounting for all the scrappings.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

While cannot and will not are different things, in the case of a vaccination requirement they are the same. The purpose of the requirement is to greatly reduce the possibility of infection and to minimize the seriousness of any infection. An unvaccinated person, regardless of reason run counter to those goals.

It is not. I am sure for people who can't take it because of medical problem they will be offered antibody shots which might be more suited to their situation and that might be acceptable to the cruise lines. A person who won't get vaccinated is unlikely to take antibody shot.

Edited by ace2542

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

It is not. I am sure for people who can't take it because of medical problem they will be offered antibody shots which might be more suited to their situation and that might be acceptable to the cruise lines. A person who won't get vaccinated is unlikely to take antibody shot.

The antibody shot is interesting.  Do you have a source or link where I could read up on the idea?  Given my medical conditions, my doctors are very hesitant to me getting the Covid shots.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was just reading 17 states have no mask mandate, it's not like texas was 1st or 2nd. Not sure why all the outrage against texas joining the group.,

Don't worry about it...some want the fear-factor for all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lazz said:

The antibody shot is interesting.  Do you have a source or link where I could read up on the idea?  Given my medical conditions, my doctors are very hesitant to me getting the Covid shots.

monoclonal antibody is what it is called apparently. I am sure you researching it in USA as well

https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/uk-recruits-first-global-patient-to-antibody-treatment-study-to-protect-against-covid-19/26458

39 minutes ago, Lazz said:

It’s not a shot but several IV’s administered in a Hospital setting. 

44 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

monoclonal antibody is what it is called apparently. I am sure you researching it in USA as well

https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/uk-recruits-first-global-patient-to-antibody-treatment-study-to-protect-against-covid-19/26458

Monoclonal antibodies are provided by IV infusion not a shot. They are use for people who are sick to try to keep their symptoms from progressing. They are not used in place of a vaccine.

• Thanks 2