Cruising Without Masks?

4 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

And just for the record if everyone is virtue signaling wearing masks to protect others from colds, flu, etc then we should all start telling heavy people to loose weight because that’s what leads to severe illness/disease.  

AAA2764C-D90A-4989-B5FC-1B725B4B0084.png

I wish more people would understand this. The number one risk factor for dying of Covid has been age, nothing we can do to prevent it, we all age. Taking age away though we're left a few more risk factors with one major one being obesity and type 2 diabetes. If more people took responsibility for their own health and wellness maybe the lockdowns wouldn't have been as severe and the numbers would be way lower. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I wish more people would understand this. The number one risk factor for dying of Covid has been age, nothing we can do to prevent it, we all age. Taking age away though we're left a few more risk factors with one major one being obesity and type 2 diabetes. If more people took responsibility for their own health and wellness maybe the lockdowns wouldn't have been as severe and the numbers would be way lower. 

Spot on my friend.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If more people took responsibility for their own health and wellness maybe the lockdowns wouldn't have been as severe and the numbers would be way lower. 

There is the rub.  Most people would rather other people take responsibility.  For instance: You wear a mask so I will be safe (even though I am over weight and smoke).  You can't  bring a peanut butter sandwich to school because little Johnny is allergic.  You must follow these rules even though they are not important enough for me to follow. You must social distance, mask etc. forever because I won't get vaccinated.  I can't teach school in person because I will be exposed to the same 20 kids everyday (even though I go to the store every week and are exposed to many more people).

• Like 5

16 hours ago, broberts said:

I'm curious, do you routinely ignore your doctor's medical advice?

Insofar as my doctor's medical advice would probably include never having seconds for dessert, or more than two glasses of wine in an evening: yes, I do ignore it when I'm deciding risk vs reward for myself. I also put my kids to sleep on their bellies, or gasp! in bed with me when they were ill and needed the closeness.

Humanity exists on a spectrum: some of us floss everyday, some of us jump off of cliffs. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Edited by lizzius
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Keksie said:

There is the rub.  Most people would rather other people take responsibility.  For instance: You wear a mask so I will be safe (even though I am over weight and smoke).  You can't  bring a peanut butter sandwich to school because little Johnny is allergic.  You must follow these rules even though they are not important enough for me to follow. You must social distance, mask etc. forever because I won't get vaccinated.  I can't teach school in person because I will be exposed to the same 20 kids everyday (even though I go to the store every week and are exposed to many more people).

So Johnny should not go to school because he is deathly allergic to peanuts?

2 minutes ago, lizzius said:

Insofar as my doctor's medical advice would probably include never having seconds for dessert, or more than two glasses of wine in an evening: yes, I do ignore it.

Humanity exists on a spectrum: some of us floss everyday, some of us jump off of cliffs. Most of us are somewhere in between.

But you accept that by ignoring qualified medical advice you are accepting risk?

Sadly the anti CDC posters do not seem to accept that the advice is sound and ignoring it involves risk. Instead many seem bent on denigrating the organization so they can justify ignoring the advice.

• Like 1

Just now, broberts said:

But you accept that by ignoring qualified medical advice you are accepting risk?

Sadly the anti CDC posters do not seem to accept that the advice is sound and ignoring it involves risk. Instead many seem bent on denigrating the organization so they can justify ignoring the advice.

Sure, but I also think the communication about those risks is piss poor. I also reserve the right to make my own decisions regarding personal risk in non-emergency situations.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, broberts said:

Funny you're choosing this one to raise the battle flag for, since there's a viable hypothesis that us treating peanuts like a big bad, avoid at all cost allergen early in life is part of the reason peanut allergies have grown significantly. Talk about unintended consequences.

I'll just answer by setting your hyperbole in the other direction: could we really be expected to provide a peanut free world for little Johnny? Just letting you know that if you board up my Chick-fil-A I'm coming for you.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, broberts said:

Maybe.  If he is that fragile because even though peanuts have been banned for all the other kids you just never know who might sneak in that illegal peanut butter cracker and kill Johnny.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Also ban all restaurants from serving any food that contains wheat, eggs, lactose and soy, just in case someone has an allergy.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lizzius said:

Funny you're choosing this one to raise the battle flag for, since there's a viable hypothesis that us treating peanuts like a big bad, avoid at all cost allergen early in life is part of the reason peanut allergies have grown significantly. Talk about unintended consequences.

I'll just answer by setting your hyperbole in the other direction: could we really be expected to provide a peanut free world for little Johnny? Just letting you know that if you board up my Chick-fil-A I'm coming for you.

I wasn't making an argument in the general case. You may have noticed the question mark that ended the sentence. The question was not meant rhetorically. Complaining about people not taking responsibility for their lifestyle iss one thing. But unless one has a reasonable solution railing against rules intended to protect children strikes me as beyond the pale.

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Also ban all restaurants from serving any food that contains wheat, eggs, lactose and soy, just in case someone has an allergy.

You forgot salt, corn syrup, refined sugar and rice.  Those too cause allergies and/or health problems.

Then we need to include air which contains carcinogens.

Hmmmm.

I wonder how we survived 60 years ago when I was a child?  Wheat products, eggs and peanuts were in many products and "Johnny" and the school staff were taught not to give him things he was allergic too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, broberts said:

No, he should be taught to only eat what mommy packs, how to use his epipen, and to always have it with him.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

I wasn't making an argument in the general case. You may have noticed the question mark that ended the sentence. The question was not meant rhetorically. Complaining about people not taking responsibility for their lifestyle iss one thing. But unless one has a reasonable solution railing against rules intended to protect children strikes me as beyond the pale.

This is a typical political move. If any subject might spark controversy find a way to make it about children. That will silence any opposition because no one wants to be branded a child hater.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

No, he should be taught to only eat what mommy packs, how to use his epipen, and to always have it with him.

My grandson even at 6 is very aware of his peanut allergy and the school nurse keeps his generic epipen in her office.

• Like 2

This is a typical political move. If any subject might spark controversy find a way to make it about children. That will silence any opposition because no one wants to be branded a child hater.

I was not the one that brought a minor into the conversation.

Agreed, but I do not insist that a child be perfect.

Apparently I am in the minority.

I also know that not every child has an epipen, even though they should. And some children end up carrying expired pens through oversight or lack of funds. I know, my bleeding heart is showing. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lizzius said:

Sure, but I also think the communication about those risks is piss poor. I also reserve the right to make my own decisions regarding personal risk in non-emergency situations.

CDC has been all over the map and has lost credibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, broberts said:

I am not anti-CDC and I usually follow all of my doctor’s advice; however I do reserve the right to question their advice on occasion, especially if they contradict each other or themselves.

Was it the CDC or DR. Fauci or both or one of the other multitude of ‘experts’ the media keeps parroting that said way back last year that face masks were of no value in protecting the average person and they should be left for the medical personel? Now they want everyone to wear a mask and some seem to want us to double up and wear two masks. I can see why some would be very skeptical of the ‘experts’ when they have been known to change horses in midstream.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You forgot salt, corn syrup, refined sugar and rice.  Those too cause allergies and/or health problems.

Then we need to include air which contains carcinogens.

Hmmmm.

I wonder how we survived 60 years ago when I was a child?  Wheat products, eggs and peanuts were in many products and "Johnny" and the school staff were taught not to give him things he was allergic too.

Don't forget pets, I know several people that are allergic to animals.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:50 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Immunizations in RI are going into a state database.

I asked then where I got my second shot Thursday about a vaccination database and they had no idea what I was talking about. Since I go right by the county health department on my why home I stopped in there and they didn’t know either. So I went on the Alabama Department of Public Health website and asked them about it today. Will see what they say if anything.

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yep, this is so true.  Remember the headline, "World ends tomorrow,  women and children hardest hit"

If your state has recinded mandatory mask and # of people that can sit at a restaurant table. Are you ready to go on a cruise that requires a mask, social distancing and other restrictions not required by your State?

1 minute ago, ledges1 said:

If your state has recinded mandatory mask and # of people that can sit at a restaurant table. Are you ready to go on a cruise that requires a mask, social distancing and other restrictions not required by your State?

What?  My state allows concealed carry but I don't carry guns on a cruise ship!  There are a lot of "liberties" that we leave at the gangway.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

We never had a mask mandate and restaurants have been open for a long time now.  Which is why we will be taking land based vacations to places with similar rules  for awhile.

• Like 1