Jump to content

I'm a Glass Half Full Kind of Guy


Recommended Posts

People sure are bummed out.  There has been very little postings on any roll calls.  

 

Even though the spread of gloom and doom seems prevalent all over the media, it just feels that things are turning around.  Vaccinations are becoming more available every week.  And when two weeks ago, people I had been talking to were discussing how hard it is to get the vaccine, those same people all seem to have found a way to get vaccinated.    

 

I am booked on two caribbean cruises. One in November, and one in March, 2022.  I am still skeptical about the November cruise.  But, I just booked three catamaran excursions for the March, 2022 cruise. as I am looking at my glass being not just half full, but maybe three-quarters full.  I booked catamaran sailings in Antigua, Grenada, & St Kitts.  Come on people.  Are you not getting optimistic? even though the CDC has not done anything to help the cruise industry.  Shame on them.  I still believe in free enterprise, and the way things are turning around, I see cruising in the future, even though it seems government and bureaucracy are against us.  Positive things are just around the corner.  

 

Looking forward to drinking the champagne on those catamarans, without wearing a mask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to be optimistic but progress seems firmly stalled in Ohio. They are still working on phase 1a and b for vaccination and have made zero announcements about who or when anyone else will be in line. Travel restrictions seem to be getting worse, not better. I've just dug in for the long haul at this point that I'm not making any travel plans until there are clear and definite signs things are getting better. And I haven't seen that yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to be a Glass Half Full kind of person but worry I’ve been beaten down by the news, false hopes and general doom and gloom.  When I stepped off my cruise last March who knew a year later the world would still be shut down?

 

All that said I am hopeful that we are in the home stretch and the finish line is near.  I just booked a cruise for March 2022 and am eager to start planning the details.  
 

Ultimately I am healthy and safe (as are my friends and family) and making the most of things.  Until the world returns to normal let’s all stay safe and look forward to our next sail away.... whenever that may be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also a glass half full person.  If you can believe it, we have a Royal cruise booked to the bahamas for the end of May- not really sure that will be a go- we also have an august cruise- same itinerary booked for august- hopefully that will be a go- no fly for us from cape liberty.  And then we go to 2022- January for the next two cruises.

 

As long as people cooperate and get immunization when available, we have a good chance of cruising again- someday!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lifeisrealygood said:

even though the CDC has not done anything to help the cruise industry.  Shame on them.  

 

This again. What have the cruiselines done? After months of opportunity, they responded to the CDC with the RCG/NCL Healthy Sail Panel which rehashed obvious protocols and provided no plan. So now the CDC has been left to create something themselves. Fain's response last week was that they are watching vaccine numbers increase. I'm not convinced they have done much at all to help themselves other than sit and wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lifeisrealygood said:

People sure are bummed out.  There has been very little postings on any roll calls.  

 

Even though the spread of gloom and doom seems prevalent all over the media, it just feels that things are turning around.  Vaccinations are becoming more available every week.  And when two weeks ago, people I had been talking to were discussing how hard it is to get the vaccine, those same people all seem to have found a way to get vaccinated.    

 

I am booked on two caribbean cruises. One in November, and one in March, 2022.  I am still skeptical about the November cruise.  But, I just booked three catamaran excursions for the March, 2022 cruise. as I am looking at my glass being not just half full, but maybe three-quarters full.  I booked catamaran sailings in Antigua, Grenada, & St Kitts.  Come on people.  Are you not getting optimistic? even though the CDC has not done anything to help the cruise industry.  Shame on them.  I still believe in free enterprise, and the way things are turning around, I see cruising in the future, even though it seems government and bureaucracy are against us.  Positive things are just around the corner.  

 

Looking forward to drinking the champagne on those catamarans, without wearing a mask.

March 2022 in the Caribbean might just happen!  Keep the faith!

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many pieces that have to fall into place for cruising to resume with the variety of itineraries we were accustom to enjoying.  It is difficult to get optimistic about planning flights, hotels, &  excursions for itineraries with visits to6-8 countries.

 

Another question that remains unanswered is how long does the vaccine provide 

protection?   We received our 2nd shot 3 weeks ago, our next cruise is late October.  We are hoping the cruise sails and that the vaccination is still providing protection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lifeisrealygood said:

People sure are bummed out.  There has been very little postings on any roll calls.  

 

Even though the spread of gloom and doom seems prevalent all over the media, it just feels that things are turning around.  Vaccinations are becoming more available every week.  And when two weeks ago, people I had been talking to were discussing how hard it is to get the vaccine, those same people all seem to have found a way to get vaccinated.    

 

I am booked on two caribbean cruises. One in November, and one in March, 2022.  I am still skeptical about the November cruise.  But, I just booked three catamaran excursions for the March, 2022 cruise. as I am looking at my glass being not just half full, but maybe three-quarters full.  I booked catamaran sailings in Antigua, Grenada, & St Kitts.  Come on people.  Are you not getting optimistic? even though the CDC has not done anything to help the cruise industry.  Shame on them.  I still believe in free enterprise, and the way things are turning around, I see cruising in the future, even though it seems government and bureaucracy are against us.  Positive things are just around the corner.  

 

Looking forward to drinking the champagne on those catamarans, without wearing a mask.

I am not a pessimist either, though I did move an Aug 2021 Med cruise to April 2022 also have one booked Oct 2022.  Just to much uncertainty with flying into Barcelona this summer.  Happy to wait my turn for the vaccine and will happily get the shot.  Stay safe and look forward!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I consider myself a glass half full person, but also one who looks objectively at the facts vs through rose colored glasses. So maybe a pragmatist? 
My opinion is that there will be many factors involved with this issue, than simple vaccination of industrialized nations.  
Will cruising other than 7 days up and down be USA coast or to the Caribbean be possible? Will we be able to travel freely to all other ports and schedule private excursions, regardless of how much of their population is vaccinated?  Will foreign airports be open to all travel?
Maybe the vaccinated might only contract a minor case, but it can still be spread to others.  
Yes, things are moving forward, however there is a long way to go before something more definitive can be announced.  There are still large numbers in the USA who are not wanting to vaccinate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're booked on the same March 2022 cruise, and with a full year to go, I'm fairly optimistic that it will sail. We have come a very long way over the past year, and unless some unforeseen circumstances reverse the positive direction in which we are currently travelling, I think that March a 2022 cruise is a reasonable expectation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One year ago millions were hoarding toilet paper.  

 

A lot can change in a year.

 

Although my 2021 Cruise hopes have sailed off into oblivion; I remain hopeful that I will be sailing in January 2022 🚢🐳

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying extremely hard to be cautiously optimistic about cruising in the Fall 2021. I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. After having to cancel more than 8 weeks of cruising in 2020 and 2021 everything is planned for our October 2021 TA, although it was reduced from being a  B2B.

I was just discussing this morning with my husband that I go from being excited and hopeful this will be a go to being told by all,  that cruising will not resume until sometime in 2022.
A lot of concerns need to be addressed in order for cruise lines to resume. For example, if European countries open their ports to cruise lines and people, such as us, take a TA back to the States. If the CDC mandates negative Covid 19 tests in order for us to re-enter, we will be on the ship for the final 8 days of a 15-night cruise. How will we get a Covid test? Will the cruise line be giving every passenger on board a test? Will they be offering a Rapid Covid test in the terminal on disembarkation day, and if so, that will impact flight and departures as well as impact the terminal for oncoming passengers.

Secondly, will passengers be allowed to be on their own in the ports or have to be on an ship excursion?

I am sure that everyone is coming up with these type of questions. I hope we have some answers before our Final Payment is due in July.

I miss cruising.......my passion!
Thanks for listening.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cachecara mentioned the large number of Americans who refuse to vaccinate.  Is that just an American thing, or are they large number of people in other countries who are unlikely to get the vaccine?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Cachecara mentioned the large number of Americans who refuse to vaccinate.  Is that just an American thing, or are they large number of people in other countries who are unlikely to get the vaccine?

As more and more are getting the vaccine, the numbers willing to get the vaccine in US are increasing.  I have not seen much information on other countries though, at least on willingness.  I do know Israel is doing a fantastic job! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We too have a March 2022 cruise booked (there are a number of responses to this thread that seem to have something that month, We're on Reflection departing on the 19th and on the role call) and I'm always a glass half full person so I'm keeping the faith it will go.  I'll accept the facts if it doesn't, but I'm always hopeful,, planning and envisioning myself onboard enjoying the trip!  I'm even hopeful enough that I booked a RCL cruise for September of 2021 for  my daughter's honeymoon!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, garyl62 said:

We too have a March 2022 cruise booked (there are a number of responses to this thread that seem to have something that month, We're on Reflection departing on the 19th and on the role call) and I'm always a glass half full person so I'm keeping the faith it will go.  I'll accept the facts if it doesn't, but I'm always hopeful,, planning and envisioning myself onboard enjoying the trip!  I'm even hopeful enough that I booked a RCL cruise for September of 2021 for  my daughter's honeymoon!  

I am optimistic that some sort of Caribbean island cruising will happen in Winter 2022.  There will be enough vaccinated in the US (and UK and parts of the EU) to get limited international travel and cruising going even with some restrictions.  I am less hopeful about early months of 2022 for summer cruises in the southern hemisphere.  South America, Australia and NZ.  Perhaps by mid year 2022 there will be some open ports in Europe.  All depends on the speed and coverage of the vaccine rollouts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I am less hopeful about early months of 2022 for summer cruises in the southern hemisphere.  South America, Australia and NZ.  Perhaps by mid year 2022 there will be some open ports in Europe.  All depends on the speed and coverage of the vaccine rollouts.

 

We have been watching the roll outs in the Southern hemisphere as we are booked for the Antarctica in early 2022.   Argentina had a slow start due to access, but now they are rolling out the “Sputnik” vaccine from Russia and also Uruguay has started their vaccination protocols.  Falkland Islands (UK) is rolling along quite well with their program.


Remaining hopeful 💫

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hvbaskey said:

 

We have been watching the roll outs in the Southern hemisphere as we are booked for the Antarctica in early 2022.   Argentina had a slow start due to access, but now they are rolling out the “Sputnik” vaccine from Russia and also Uruguay has started their vaccination protocols.  Falkland Islands (UK) is rolling along quite well with their program.


Remaining hopeful 💫

Sputnik V is hopeful and is much like the J&J vaccine but two shots.  

The country of Brazil is still a mess.  But for a limited Antarctica cruise you just might have a chance in early 2022.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Sputnik V is hopeful and is much like the J&J vaccine but two shots.  

The country of Brazil is still a mess.  But for a limited Antarctica cruise you just might have a chance in early 2022.  

 

Yes, right now still cautiously optimistic, but have to keep the glass half full 🐳

Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally I work hard to do the glass half full thing but after a year of chasing refunds, arguing with insurers, searching for toilet paper and waiting on cruise lines to make real decisions it gets hard to keep it going. Last year we celebrated our 50th and had great plans to travel, Ireland and Iceland, Alaska with the whole family, the Med from Rome to Venice with good friends, some National Parks here in the SW....of course none of that happened. The fall Med cruise was moved to 2021 and is already canceled so the only thing left on the table  for the moment is a 16 night Panama Canal cruise in Sept that is not likely to happen  since it is beyond current CDC guidelines but Celebrity is still selling it and won't allow us to do a L&S so we sit and wait...but I am not booking any excursions, not even thinking about them now.    I am thankful that we have not been sick, we got a real break and were able to get our vaccines quickly and easily (I guess there is some benefit in being old and having underlying conditions..), toilet paper is plentiful and hopefully some day I will get to use my thousands of $$$ of United ETCs and our hundreds of thousands of UA miles but for now...yes, the glass is still half full but it is staying put in Las Vegas for now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...