I'm a Glass Half Full Kind of Guy

lifeisrealygood

17 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Cachecara mentioned the large number of Americans who refuse to vaccinate.  Is that just an American thing, or are they large number of people in other countries who are unlikely to get the vaccine?

Uptake in UK in groups vaccinated so far is above 90% which is encouraging. Hope it continues with the younger age groups now being vaccinated.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Cachecara mentioned the large number of Americans who refuse to vaccinate.  Is that just an American thing, or are they large number of people in other countries who are unlikely to get the vaccine?

Personally, as a lifelong health professional, I hope and pray(JMO) most will choose vax. Just wanted to clarify. 
At this point in time, I don’t believe the issue with other countries is vaccine refusal, but vaccine availability.  
Be safe and healthy, friends. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Normally I work hard to do the glass half full thing but after a year of chasing refunds, arguing with insurers, searching for toilet paper and waiting on cruise lines to make real decisions it gets hard to keep it going. Last year we celebrated our 50th and had great plans to travel, Ireland and Iceland, Alaska with the whole family, the Med from Rome to Venice with good friends, some National Parks here in the SW....of course none of that happened. The fall Med cruise was moved to 2021 and is already canceled so the only thing left on the table  for the moment is a 16 night Panama Canal cruise in Sept that is not likely to happen  since it is beyond current CDC guidelines but Celebrity is still selling it and won't allow us to do a L&S so we sit and wait...but I am not booking any excursions, not even thinking about them now.    I am thankful that we have not been sick, we got a real break and were able to get our vaccines quickly and easily (I guess there is some benefit in being old and having underlying conditions..), toilet paper is plentiful and hopefully some day I will get to use my thousands of $$$ of United ETCs and our hundreds of thousands of UA miles but for now...yes, the glass is still half full but it is staying put in Las Vegas for now.  

Congrats and Mazel Tov on your 50th.  Such a blessing. 

12 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

So cruising will start in at least one country, Israel, but how will all the crew get their vaccines? Has that been revealed yet?  And how will the crew all get to Haifa?

RCCL has confirmed that all crew will be vaxxed, but have not released details on the procedure.  Nor have they disclosed how they will get the crew in place (and likely won't get into specifics).  Chartering aircraft from, say Manila and Goa, would get a large number of crew to Ben Gurion airport, which is only an hour or so from Haifa. 

17 hours ago, Cachecara said:

Congrats and Mazel Tov on your 50th.  Such a blessing. 

Thanks. It has been quite an adventure.  If you had told me 50 years ago that we would be living in the desert I would have laughed at you....Man plans, God laughs so we keep on going and adjusting.

4 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

So cruising will start in at least one country, Israel, but how will all the crew get their vaccines? Has that been revealed yet?  And how will the crew all get to Haifa?

They haven't said and I doubt we hear specifics. Keep in mind it's one single ship. I think the crew equates to about 1,600 people. If the Israeli government wanted to shift ~3,200 vaccines their way in order to get the ship and make this happen, that would be pretty easily done. 

Israel is currently closed to non-citizens and non-residents so some coordination and exception to get crew into the country has already been granted.

34 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

They haven't said and I doubt we hear specifics. Keep in mind it's one single ship. I think the crew equates to about 1,600 people. If the Israeli government wanted to shift ~3,200 vaccines their way in order to get the ship and make this happen, that would be pretty easily done. 

Israel is currently closed to non-citizens and non-residents so some coordination and exception to get crew into the country has already been granted.

RCL Odyssey is showing it's capacity will be 4284 passengers and 1551 crew. If they are starting to sail with 50%, or so passengers, the crew demand will be several hundred less. You can't just cut the crew number in half as there is a certain number of crew needed no matter how many passengers are aboard.