I wonder what the crew are doing tonight?

WestLakeGirl

There was a song in the musical Camelot, I wonder what the king is doing tonight? But I wonder what the crew is doing tonight. Each ship still has some crewmembers on, right? Some minimal staff?  Did they get to eat all the steaks in the freezer?    There can’t be much work for them to do, so I imagine they are watching a lot of movies, I hope that the cruise line is giving them all plenty of Internet so they can keep in touch with family.  I wonder what daily life is like for them.

The crew on the Edge is around 130.  There is a fair amount of work to do.  One thing I would not have thought of was that every faucet, toilet, shower etc must turned on and run.  I can’t remember the frequency but it was pretty frequent.  

All the equipment has to be inspected and maintained, regular cleaning has to occur,  the live plants have to be maintained.  All crew are eating in the buffet and the food looks great.

• Like 1

With the limited crew onboard I wouldn't think they would be working any more or less than normal.  A small galley crew is still preparing 3 meals a day for the crew.  Engineering needs staffed.  Bridge still needs spotters when not in port.  Crew cabins need cleaned by stewards.  The food that was laded on last January and February is long gone. 

Although I've seen some examples of special activities (bingo, movies and such) I really don't think the remaining crew is lounging around watching movies or surfing the internet any more than normal. 

I assume that just like in the past, there are times when crew are off duty.  They used to have “crew parties” in the area in the bow under the helipad.  They had crew shows put on by the entertainers.  And they had time off to go to town.  This can’t be all work and no play for the crew who remain on board, can it?

9 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I assume that just like in the past, there are times when crew are off duty.  They used to have “crew parties” in the area in the bow under the helipad.  They had crew shows put on by the entertainers.  And they had time off to go to town.  This can’t be all work and no play for the crew who remain on board, can it?

As a couple posts have said, I think their schedule is very similar to what it is like when the ships are sailing with pax.  Still work full days, still have off time, still have time in the crew bar and special functions in other parts of the ship.

Probably something like this a couple months ago on Azamara, crew Bingo with prizes.

But no going outside and into town.  Especially when their time in port is short to refuel and reprovision. 

Edited by ECCruise

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

I wonder how many of the crew that have returned home have gotten other jobs and will actually return to their ships?

I was wondering the same thing.  We had become friendly with one of the bartenders that we got to know on 2 cruises.  He was in contact with us between cruises but we have not heard from him since cruising stopped.  DH and I wanted to make sure he was ok and we asked if we could help him with anything but got no response to the 3 e-mails sent.   

5 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

I was wondering the same thing.  We had become friendly with one of the bartenders that we got to know on 2 cruises.  He was in contact with us between cruises but we have not heard from him since cruising stopped.  DH and I wanted to make sure he was ok and we asked if we could help him with anything but got no response to the 3 e-mails sent.   

I have heard from a member that there is no unemployment compensation in the Philippines for those laid off in the private sector.  Must be tough on many families.  I am not sure if the cruise lines are continuing to pay salaries for non management personnel....

On 2/28/2021 at 10:38 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

There was a song in the musical Camelot, I wonder what the king is doing tonight? But I wonder what the crew is doing tonight. Each ship still has some crewmembers on, right? Some minimal staff?  Did they get to eat all the steaks in the freezer?    There can’t be much work for them to do, so I imagine they are watching a lot of movies, I hope that the cruise line is giving them all plenty of Internet so they can keep in touch with family.  I wonder what daily life is like for them.

I wonder if the crew is wondering what you are doing tonight and why you are wondering about them?😀  Say that 3 times fast.