Would you buy me a postcard? Hypothetical Question.

Esso11

18 hours ago, ldubs said:

Yeah, I remember folks who used to collect the matchbooks from different places.   Probably they still do.  I wonder what is considered a rare match book cover.  

Since they aren't being used any more they all are kind of rare but I would expect the larger and more famous the hotel the more in demand memorabilia from it would be, and the older the better. When my mother passed on she had about 50 wooden nickels in her stuff. As I recall I sold them for about $200 and I believe that a couple were for hotels.

On 3/2/2021 at 5:28 AM, Esso11 said:

Hi, thanks everyone again! Hi Noreen, I tried to thank you personally but your email link isn't available.  By all means drop me an email, I'd like to exchange notes on our cruising experiences.  Essoblue2001@yahoo.co.uk.   Regards,  Sharon.  

Hi Sharon

I tried to email you and it’s coming back as undeliverable.

My email is noreenchin@yahoo.com

Hope to hear from you soon

Noreen

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Since they aren't being used any more they all are kind of rare but I would expect the larger and more famous the hotel the more in demand memorabilia from it would be, and the older the better. When my mother passed on she had about 50 wooden nickels in her stuff. As I recall I sold them for about $200 and I believe that a couple were for hotels.

There's a pub where we frequently have lunch. They have a good-sized bowl of matchbooks which I rarely see elsewhere.

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Out of curiosity I did a quick search (nothing exhaustive).   Record is a 1927 matchbook created specially for a gala dinner event with Charles Lindberg.  It was sold in 2015 for $6,000.  Four of the matches were missing.  This knowledge might get us that first place keychain in the next cruise trivia contest! 😀

I have one of those wooden nickels from my Mom's stuff.  Also some of those paper 3d glasses we got from the movies as kids.    

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2021 at 1:37 PM, ldubs said:

Out of curiosity I did a quick search (nothing exhaustive).   Record is a 1927 matchbook created specially for a gala dinner event with Charles Lindberg.  It was sold in 2015 for $6,000.  Four of the matches were missing.  This knowledge might get us that first place keychain in the next cruise trivia contest! 😀

I have one of those wooden nickels from my Mom's stuff.  Also some of those paper 3d glasses we got from the movies as kids.    

I was just cleaning out my dresser drawers and found a wooden nickel

I remembered seeing a reference on CC.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cleaning out? Does that mean that YOU actually threw somethings out?

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You have a good memory.  Better hang onto that wooden nickel.  Might be worth a fortune some day!  Well, probably not, but it won't be long before people don't even know what a wooden nickel is, or was.      

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

You have a good memory.  Better hang onto that wooden nickel.  Might be worth a fortune some day!  Well, probably not, but it won't be long before people don't even know what a wooden nickel is, or was.      

All I remember is that I'm not supposed to take any.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A little off subject, but I bought quite a few postcards on Curacao at the Curacao factory.  I wanted to mail them home.  The sweet clerk said if I gave her the money she would buy the postage and mail them for me.

Guess what?  Nobody ever saw a single postcard.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

A little off subject, but I bought quite a few postcards on Curacao at the Curacao factory.  I wanted to mail them home.  The sweet clerk said if I gave her the money she would buy the postage and mail them for me.

I was in "Hell" and the post office was selling a 12 pack that included postage to the States. 

Sent a bunch "Wish you where here." including one to myself and work.

None of them arrived.

Edited by Philob

57 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

I have heard that in foreign post offices you should watch the clerk affix the stamps.

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

Reminds me of my island lesson on this topic- on a flight from Norfolk VA to Port Lyautey in Morocco on the way to join my first ship, we landed at Santa Maria in the Azores to refuel. (Yes, it was a turbo-prop, paddling its way across.)

Recalling that I had forgotten to do anything about my mother’s upcoming birthday, I bought a lovely black lace mantilla - the lovely woman at the counter swore on the miraculous medal she was wearing that she would mail it. 

Yeah, right!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

No,I rarely throw things out.

We're going to do major downsizing in the next couple of months. Because we love our kids so much we're getting rid of tons of stuff. And have long since instructed them to get rid of anything they wish. No guilt trips 🙂

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

My short term memory is not that great but my memory of things from my childhood is great.A few days ago I had a phone conversation with a childhood friend who I reconnected with last year.He could not believe all the things I remembered from our childhood.

My grandkids thought that wooden nickel was only an expression.

I look forward to showing them mine.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, clo said:

We're going to do major downsizing in the next couple of months. Because we love our kids so much we're getting rid of tons of stuff. And have long since instructed them to get rid of anything they wish. No guilt trips 🙂

I have thrown things away that I regret now.I went to a high school that was sort of like a futuristic school .The liberal arts classes were in a circular building .Every classroom was painted in a different color or a different shade.The industrial arts and physical education classes were in a rectangular building.I had kept several newspapers describing the school which I threw out .I wish I had saved them.The school has been closed for quite some time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have thrown things away that I regret now.I went to a high school that was sort of like a futuristic school .The liberal arts classes were in a circular building .Every classroom was painted in a different color or a different shade.The industrial arts and physical education classes were in a rectangular building.I had kept several newspapers describing the school which I threw out .I wish I had saved them.The school has been closed for quite some time.

Some months ago I tossed close to 50 years of newspapers and magazines.

• Like 2

Just now, clo said:

Some months ago I tossed close to 50 years of newspapers and magazines.

I had newspapers from the 1860’s which I threw away because they were crumbling in my hands.However,I still have a newspaper from the days after the assassinations of the 1960’s,National Geographic magazines from the 1940’s ,sports magazines from the 1960’s and several copies of a now defunct magazine that had a story about people who posted on internet message boards.The magazine Editor chose a message board that I was posting on ,this was 1999.The owner of the board was asked for the names of 3 people to be interviewed for a story.I was one of the three and I am keeping that magazine .I am also keeping a magazine that featured me in a story and a magazine that one of my published short stories appeared in.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 9:51 AM, Esso11 said:

😀 Hi! Hypothetical question.  If I was a solo cruiser on board your cruise and due to disability I found it difficult or impossible to disembark at ports of call,  would you do me a favour and buy me a few postcards as a souvenir of my trip? I'd pay for them and I wouldn't want them posted, they're for taking home. 

Thanks for your replies.  Sharon  🌻🌻🌻

It would be my pleasure to make your cruise a memorable one.