Would you buy me a postcard? Hypothetical Question.

Esso11

21 hours ago, Philob said:

I'll add that if your internet or telephone lines are from overhead lines, in most homes the wires will be going to a central point. The bad guys could cut all the wires before going into your house.

We're in a new development, and our internet cables are underground. But  I'll readily admit that the state of tech in Florida is not at the forefront of innovative techniques.

6 hours ago, evandbob said:

We're in a new development, and our internet cables are underground. But  I'll readily admit that the state of tech in Florida is not at the forefront of innovative techniques.

We are also in a development with internet cables underground.

On 4/14/2021 at 5:16 AM, cruisemom42 said:

That's what my parents started saying about a quarter of a century ago, and they have missed out on a lot. They never learned to use a computer or had a cell phone, so missed out on a lot of opportunities to connect with their only grandchild. From microwaves to VCRs to digital cameras, they just said no. 

Now unfortunately they are getting old and less active, it would be nice if they had some of these items to ease life and entertain themselves, but it is a lot more difficult to learn their use when they are that old and have never used them.

One thing I took away from this is not ever to be that person who says "What do I need that for? I've gotten along with it so far..."

The restnt we went to the other day for Mrs Ldubs' B-day didn't have printed menus (because of COVID).   Instead you point your phone at the bar code thingy and the menu pops right up.  I had no idea how this worked.  Fortunately my phone knew what to do.  

46 minutes ago, ldubs said:

The restnt we went to the other day for Mrs Ldubs' B-day didn't have printed menus (because of COVID).   Instead you point your phone at the bar code thingy and the menu pops right up.  I had no idea how this worked.  Fortunately my phone knew what to do.  

What happens to people who do not have smart phones ?

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

What happens to people who do not have smart phones ?

That I honestly don't know.  I suspect they keep a few printed menus around for that purpose.   

To be sure, I'm not highly tech savvy.  But I do get a lot of utility out of the various Apps on my iPhone.  And, it syncs up with my MacBook so everything is up to date in both places.  I like that a lot.    

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

That I honestly don't know.  I suspect they keep a few printed menus around for that purpose.   

To be sure, I'm not highly tech savvy.  But I do get a lot of utility out of the various Apps on my iPhone.  And, it syncs up with my MacBook so everything is up to date in both places.  I like that a lot.    

We have restaurants in the town I live in that never use menus .They have a blackboard with food selections on there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I have the app but haven't been able to mess around with it.

24 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Where we went today they had paper menus that they could then toss.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

On at least one of the cruise lines that started up last year in Europe (limited to specific countries' passengers) they did something similar to this. They did have paper menus for those who needed them. I like the idea personally -- eliminates paper waste and minimizes chances of infection (not just from COVID; I'm also thinking norovirus...)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

On at least one of the cruise lines that started up last year in Europe (limited to specific countries' passengers) they did something similar to this. They did have paper menus for those who needed them. I like the idea personally -- eliminates paper waste and minimizes chances of infection (not just from COVID; I'm also thinking norovirus...)

I've got to mess around with mine rather than waiting til the QR thing is right in front of me.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Pre Covid-19 there were restaurants in Japan already doing this, even place your order through the app/website. So far one restaurant near me has started doing this but their interface is so clunky😖 compared to the Japanese ones. We gave up and asked for a paper menu. Hopefully as time goes on they improve the software😕

15 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Pre Covid-19 there were restaurants in Japan already doing this, even place your order through the app/website. So far one restaurant near me has started doing this but their interface is so clunky😖 compared to the Japanese ones. We gave up and asked for a paper menu. Hopefully as time goes on they improve the software😕

I'm not surprised. Japan seems so far above us in so many ways.

Back in 2017 when we where in China last, at a 3 tier city there's a restaurant famous for its goose dishes. No paper menus, under the glass top are pictures of each dish with a QR code. The waitperson was polite enough to show SWMBO the app she needed and how to use it. 

Edited by Philob

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have restaurants in the town I live in that never use menus .They have a blackboard with food selections on there 

That is stylish in a quaint sort of way.   "Stylishly quaint" -- I think I just made up an expression.  Haha.   

13 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

You reminded me of apps like GrubHub, DoorDash, and PostMates.  I have all three apps on my phone.  I started using them thanks to COVID, but expect to continue because it is just too convenient for a lazy take-out day. Haha

Edited by ldubs

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

That is stylish in a quaint sort of way.   "Stylishly quaint" -- I think I just made up an expression.  Haha.   

Either the menu is quite small or the board is super large. In Rio de Janeiro a lot of menus are on a board outside but probably maxes out at about eight items.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

You reminded me of apps like GrubHub, DoorDash, and PostMates.  I have all three apps on my phone.  I started using them thanks to COVID, but expect to continue because it is just too convenient for a lazy take-out day. Haha

I've never used them because I've read that the restaurants pay A LOT and figure they're in rough enough shape anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

One day instead of quoting Webster people may quote ldubs😀

Makes you think.  What if Webster made a mistake and my spelling was right all along!   Haha.   

20 hours ago, clo said:

Either the menu is quite small or the board is super large. In Rio de Janeiro a lot of menus are on a board outside but probably maxes out at about eight items.

I am inclined to go along with the notion that more is not always better.  A restaurant with dozens of "suggestions" rarely in my experience do many of them very well.   I seem to have better meals at places with perhaps a dozen shown on the board,  with perhaps three or four genuine "specials" which the server is able to explain. 

29 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am inclined to go along with the notion that more is not always better.  A restaurant with dozens of "suggestions" rarely in my experience do many of them very well.   I seem to have better meals at places with perhaps a dozen shown on the board,  with perhaps three or four genuine "specials" which the server is able to explain. 

There is a wine bar in Rome that serves a limited menu of light dinner options -- sometimes just the thing after many pasta-heavy meals. They have a limited printed menu, but pretty much everyone I've seen orders from the daily specials on the board. They are invariably delicious -- fresh, in season, locally sourced. 

They are also one of the few places where a solo traveler can order just a glass of a really good Brunello or Barolo without having to purchase a whole bottle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

We have a local restaurant whose menu is pretty large. But they make their own charcuterie, pasta, bread, sauces, sausages, wood fired pizza oven. What they don't make they source locally. But overall I agree with you.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:17 AM, ilikeanswers said:

I would love to say yes but I don't tend to go to any souvenir shops when travelling and usually my sightseeing takes up all the time so I'm not sure I would have any time left or I would even know where to purchase such an item😳. I think I would be more hinder than help😝.

We've seen them in many ports just off the ship as you go through terminals.

We've gotten several and mailed them to our adult kids in different ports. One of their favorites was from St Petersburg and signed it "From Russia With Love"