Which is the better port to leave from ? Civitavecchia (Rome) or Barcelona

Okay, I think I can see us doing 3 nights in Rome,  what area is best to get a hotel in, not the cheapest and not the most expensive one or should we go for an AirBnB?

Since just one day in Barcelona, what excursion or tour or private tour guide is best to reserve there? to see most of the important(most interesting) sights?

Edit: Have never been to either city, first Europe Cruise. 🙂

Edited by Jimbo

If you have visted Rome in the past spending several days there with your main concern going on a cruise and not spending any time before or after in the city of embarkation then Barcelona, given the short distance from the airport to the port. Otherwise, Rome is not to be missed and would be worth the extra distance to port in combination of staying there a few days before or after the cruise.

We’ve had 3 Mediterranean cruises canceled so far but the only requirement we had when rebooking was to sail from Rome so we’d have a few days in the city before sailing. I’ve cruised all over the world and Rome is by far my favorite city.  On a side note, I am sailing from Barcelona next year.

2 hours ago, deepcman said:

I've done both multiple times but would suggest Rome as there's so much to see. Find a hotel near Roma Termini which is the main train station in Rome and you can walk to the Forum from there or hop on one of the tour busses.

You take the train from the airport to Rome Termini and then take the train to Civitavecchia the day of the cruise. If I remember right they were both direct trains. From there you can walk to the port or take the short cab ride if you have too much luggage. Easy peasy. Just be brave and do some research.

ROME:
Completely agree
4 block walk from Civitvechia station to port entrance. Direct trains are cheap and frequent from major Roma stations, including Termini (main station)

BARCELONA:

2 block walk from "Drassenes" metro station (green line) to (blue) port bus, and quick ride on the port bus

Both cities are amazing, spend a couple of days before your cruise and enjoy

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Okay, I think I can see us doing 3 nights in Rome,  what area is best to get a hotel in, not the cheapest and not the most expensive one or should we go for an AirBnB?

Since just one day in Barcelona, what excursion or tour or private tour guide is best to reserve there? to see most of the important(most interesting) sights?

We had an Airb2b about 3 blocks from the Vatican. It was a little cheaper than most hotels I looked at that seemed "decent" by American standards, plus it had a washer & dryer (and A/C) since we were there a week. It was also about 2 blocks from 2 Metro stations. We felt like we could get anywhere in about 20-30 minutes using the Metro. It also seemed like we were in "normal" Rome, outside of the real touristy spots. A bit slower, and more quiet. I would totally stay there again, and I've recommended it to a friend of a friend who was going there. So while there could be safety or nightlife or other things to take into consideration, if you are just looking for a decent place to sleep after a day of sight seeing, convenient to metro would be one of my main considerations. The Airb2b company even arranged private transfer from the airport and to port for us. Super convenient. I don't know what the rules are about posting businesses, but I'd be happy share in a private msg. Same for tour companies, I would totally recommend the one that we booked for our Rome tours. 

For Barcelona, as I've previously mentioned, not nearly the fan others are, but for a single day highlight tour, we were good with the Gaudi one that RC does. At the very least, I'd say it's a good default or starter. 

We chose Rome because we wanted to stay there for a few days before getting on the ship. We took private transportation to the port from Rome. People we ran into on the ship that said they took the train said never again. Your mileage may vary.

The bonus of embarking in Civitavecchia is that 90% of the passengers board in Barcelona. When you get on the ship, it is empty because everyone is off on their tours.  Getting on and off in Rome was less than 5 minutes.  

In Barcelona, we loved our tour to Montserrat. It was a half day morning tour.  On the way back the bus driver stopped in town and told us that if we wanted to get off and take a taxi later on to the ship, we could. We had a great afternoon exploring Barcelona.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

We loved cruising out of Barcelona but do have 2 regrets. We didn't stay long enough pre cruise and we didn't stay long enough post cruise. 

We are planning flying out of Florida on a Friday arrives in Barcelona Saturday morning cruise leaves Monday. Ship returns on a Saturday we will fly home Sunday. That gives us 3 days to explore Barcelona. Do you think that is enough? 

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Give all the pro and cons of each?

Flights, Transportation, Port Acess, Tours availability in each City, cost) Hotels Costs, security in and around each city? etc......

Start Day of Cruises, Thursday or Sunday, I would assume hotel costs pre or post would be more for a Friday and Saturday Nights? But I guess either start date may include those nights no matter which cruise day start date you select?

I've cruised out of both and Barcelona is far more convenient in terms of transportation.  As others have mentioned, it's a short distance between the airport/city/port. 

Hotel costs are the same.  Both are large cities that offer a variety of accomodations to meet a variety of budgets.

Personally, I would choose based on the itinerary and what port appeals to you more for a pre/post cruise stay.  Both are wonderful and you really can't go wrong with either.

• Like 1

If you've never been to Rome to see all of the sites... then I'd say Rome. But Barcelona is just absolutely beautiful. Here's my experience...but first on a side note... this happened. 

My wife & I booked our 7 day Med cruise on the Liberty out of Barcelona. Son & DIL booked the same cruise out of Rome. Neither of us knew we did this until I called to tell them the great news of our reservation. He questioned me pretty heavy about our dates and our ship as he was on the same ship ship within the same week. Neither of us knew that the Liberty had or offered 'interporting'. So when we got on the ship on Sunday in Barcelona, and they got on the ship on Wednesday when we docked for Rome. When we made it back to Barcelona, they continued the cruise back to Rome. Crazy, but it was really surprising and so fun too.  We spent some wonderful time w/ them and also had some time alone too. It was a great cruise. 

We spent three days & enjoyed Barcelona very much, having said this, we were very very rushed to take in all of the wonderful sites that Rome offered in one day of ship porting. Luckliy, we hired a wonderful guides for Rome and a great guide for the Vatican. Both were private small 8 person tours. Because of this, the van was able to go places where a bus could not. This saved time & we did well in Rome but it was still busy. If you've already seen Rome and/or you plan to re-visit another trip, you'll be good. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, kidless said:

We are planning flying out of Florida on a Friday arrives in Barcelona Saturday morning cruise leaves Monday. Ship returns on a Saturday we will fly home Sunday. That gives us 3 days to explore Barcelona. Do you think that is enough? 

At the minimum yes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We stayed at the Hotel Golden which is in a quiet area near the Borghese Gardens.  It wasn't centrally located to the Coliseum but we were happy with it.  It was a small family run place.  You might want to visit the Italy ports of call board.  I seem to recall the Hotel Campo De Fiore was often recommended there.

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

This past February I took my daughter to Rome for a couple days after we spent a couple days in Paris.

We rented a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, kitchen and living room apartment in Ottaviano.  Our apartment was literally 10 steps from the metro and 3 blocks from the Vatican.  Lots of good restaurants within walking distance.   The subway was great, a quick ride to the termini, very easy to get around.  The best thing was it was less than $100 a night.  It was clean, modern and perfect for what we wanted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RobInMN said:

We had an Airb2b about 3 blocks from the Vatican. It was a little cheaper than most hotels I looked at that seemed "decent" by American standards, plus it had a washer & dryer (and A/C) since we were there a week. It was also about 2 blocks from 2 Metro stations. We felt like we could get anywhere in about 20-30 minutes using the Metro. It also seemed like we were in "normal" Rome, outside of the real touristy spots. A bit slower, and more quiet. I would totally stay there again, and I've recommended it to a friend of a friend who was going there. So while there could be safety or nightlife or other things to take into consideration, if you are just looking for a decent place to sleep after a day of sight seeing, convenient to metro would be one of my main considerations. The Airb2b company even arranged private transfer from the airport and to port for us. Super convenient. I don't know what the rules are about posting businesses, but I'd be happy share in a private msg. Same for tour companies, I would totally recommend the one that we booked for our Rome tours. 

For Barcelona, as I've previously mentioned, not nearly the fan others are, but for a single day highlight tour, we were good with the Gaudi one that RC does. At the very least, I'd say it's a good default or starter. 

From the sounds of it we stayed pretty close to you.  We loved it as well. 

Each location is great! We’ve done both. Barcelona is much closer to the cruise port. 
Fun city! What can you say about Rome. We’ve been to Rome several times, so much to see. The city to the port is about 11/2 hours away. 

I love Barcelona partly because I can drive there from home but you can easily see the highlights in a day from a cruise ship whereas you can only do that in Rome if you have a tour like Rome in Limo offer. In your position I would fly to Rome have a few days there and "do" Barcelona from the ship

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Following this thread as my husband, myself and two teenaged daughters are going on the Allure next July from Civi but are planning 6 days/5 nights in Rome. Would love to get your recommendations for the airbnb you used and any tours you felt would recommend. 

Many thanks! 

K

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This past February I took my daughter to Rome for a couple days after we spent a couple days in Paris.

We rented a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, kitchen and living room apartment in Ottaviano.  Our apartment was literally 10 steps from the metro and 3 blocks from the Vatican.  Lots of good restaurants within walking distance.   The subway was great, a quick ride to the termini, very easy to get around.  The best thing was it was less than $100 a night.  It was clean, modern and perfect for what we wanted.

Yes! Ottaviano! That was our Metro stop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JillK said:

Following this thread as my husband, myself and two teenaged daughters are going on the Allure next July from Civi but are planning 6 days/5 nights in Rome. Would love to get your recommendations for the airbnb you used and any tours you felt would recommend. 

Many thanks! 

K

Hmm. Apparently CruiseCritic doesn't allow direct messages.😡

Pre-pandy, I sent an email to a friend of a friend with our recommendations, thoughts and reviews. I have made a few adjustments to make it more general and just attached that to this message. And this way I am not posting direct links to specific companies & listings (links are in the attached file). Looks like Ourusualbeach stayed in the same neighborhood and loved the place they found also. 

Rome Recommendations.txt

• Like 2

On 3/1/2021 at 1:30 PM, Billy Baltic said:

Barcelona is a lot easier and shorter to get from the city to the port. Depending where you stay in Barcelona you maybe able to see the ship. 
It’s around 45 - 60 minutes from Rome to Civitavecchia. Rome will be more expensive for hotels. 
For me, Rome is very special. It’s got a wow factor that very few places I’ve been can match. Barcelona is very nice but that’s competition it can’t match 😊 

Rome itself deserves 10-14 days to properly visit!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Hmm. Apparently CruiseCritic doesn't allow direct messages.😡

Pre-pandy, I sent an email to a friend of a friend with our recommendations, thoughts and reviews. I have made a few adjustments to make it more general and just attached that to this message. And this way I am not posting direct links to specific companies & listings (links are in the attached file). Looks like Ourusualbeach stayed in the same neighborhood and loved the place they found also. 

Rome Recommendations.txt 6.73 kB · 6 downloads

Thanks so much! We have lots of research to do in advance but I love that part of the planning. I feel more comfortable with recommendations from people who have personally experienced it so I appreciate your help.

We know that we won't have time to see everything Rome has to offer but wanted to devote enough days to get in plenty. Will just have to plan another trip down the line without the kiddos in the future. 

20 hours ago, kidless said:

Depends on your level of interest.  We've been to Barcelona 20+ times and still have plenty to occupy our time, either directly in town or a short distance away.

You could spend 1 full day just doing Gaudi.  Another full day with art museums.  Another full day with food tours.  A day to Montserrat.  A day to Girona.  You easily could fill 3 days.  Or you could leave things for another trip.  😀

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JillK said:

Many thanks! 

K

We stayed here.  It was just my daughter and I in the 7 person family suite. 
http://vaticanluxurysuites.com/

• Like 1