Newest RCI ship to sail from Haifa instead of Rome

39august

Just announced this morning, instead of sailing the Med from Rome beginning May this year, the newest RCI ship will be sailing to the Greek islands from Israel with only vaccinated Israeli citizens on board. Crew will also be vaccinated. Not yet clear to me whether  unvaccinated children under 16 will be allowed, but I believe so.  Bookings are to begin March 9. 

• Like 1

Interesting , but that may be how more cruising restarts.  Limited itinerary with only citizens of specified countries allowed to cruise. I’ll support whatever gets some ships sailing.  

After cruising for 16 years looking to book a AI  Mexico just to get away and be pampered.

• Like 1

Months ago, when I predicted that the first cruises to sail will not be the sacred and beloved Caribbean cruises form Florida, I was chastized and cruisified...
Reality now... cruises in Europe, Asia, Israel... all first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

It's just wonderful to hear of a ship sailing anywhere!!

My DH and I were talking last night that it will be quite possible that cruising will start EVERYWHERE else before there are any sailings from USA ports.  The CDC requirements are so stringent and I suspect the lines will wait and wait and wait for approval to sail from here so if they can start generating revenue elsewhere then they will go for it and I wouldn't blame them. Somehow wouldn't be surprised if there are no sailings before mid-2022 in the USA.  Don't want that but could be true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

It's just wonderful to hear of a ship sailing anywhere!!

My DH and I were talking last night that it will be quite possible that cruising will start EVERYWHERE else before there are any sailings from USA ports.  The CDC requirements are so stringent and I suspect the lines will wait and wait and wait for approval to sail from here so if they can start generating revenue elsewhere then they will go for it and I wouldn't blame them. Somehow wouldn't be surprised if there are no sailings before mid-2022 in the USA.  Don't want that but could be true.

I think you will find that the restrictions to be in place in Israel for these sailings are very similar to the tentative CDC requirements. Masks and social distancing will be required, as well as other health and safety measures to be announced later.  Vaccination is required for all over age 16.  Negative test is required.  

The reason that Israel is first out of the gate is that more than half of the total population has had the first jab and a third has had both.  And those numbers are increasing daily, so with the first sailing over 2 months away, there will be a large pool of available pax.

The US rate of vaccination is going forward quickly.  Once the US is at those kind of rates (likely early summer at the latest) similar plans for sailing will take place.  The lack of sailings in the US isn't solely the fault of the CDC.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

The US rate of vaccination is going forward quickly.  Once the US is at those kind of rates (likely early summer at the latest) similar plans for sailing will take place.  The lack of sailings in the US isn't solely the fault of the CDC.

I worry about Covid lingering here a lot longer. Israel already has over a 93.5% vaccination rate. I don't think the United States will come anywhere close to that because so many people here are skeptical of science now. My guess is that the reintroduction of cruising in the US will have many setbacks before things finally get back to normal.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

I worry about Covid lingering here a lot longer. Israel already has over a 93.5% vaccination rate. I don't think the United States will come anywhere close to that because so many people here are skeptical of science now. My guess is that the reintroduction of cruising in the US will have many setbacks before things finally get back to normal.

I agree

56 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

Actually Israel has an estimated 93.5% efficacy rate.  The rate of vaccination is still incredible, but is 50+% for one jab and about 35% with both.  They expect to reach full vaccination by the end of this month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

On a side note, sailing from Israel with Israeli passengers, I was wondering if they will have a kosher kitchen...?  EM

Don't know about a dedicated kitchen, but Kosher for sure will be available. 

Here is a Kosher menu I found from a sailing to the Bahamas.

menu.jpg?resize=768%2C1024

Edited by ECCruise

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

menu.jpg?resize=768%2C1024

That must be a huge logistics nightmare having to set things up separately and making sure things aren't co-mingled and intermixed. 

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

On a side note, sailing from Israel with Israeli passengers, I was wondering if they will have a kosher kitchen...?  EM

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Since those cruises have been announced yesterday afternoon (local time), there is a huge interest in booking the Odyssey, and this is the recurring question:

Will there be a dedicated kosher kitchen, or just a kosher menu....

If there will be a dedicated kosher kitchen, I'll give this cruise a miss... I like to experiment new dishes.