Odds of 7/31 NY to Iceland actually sailing

Tn gal

Alaska cruises have to be canceled if no Canada port stop, your cruise can skip the Canadian ports. I have no idea what O will do, but if I was in charge I would add an overnight or another port stop in Iceland and the cruise would go. Cruise lines often cancel or add ports, it's not a big deal IMO.

Steven

aka tampatramp from San Francisco 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bob brown said:

St. Pierre and Miquelon would make an interesting substitute for one day.  They are the last French Overseas Territory left in North America....

If they are allowing  tourists  by then

There is  still the big unknown if ships will even sail from the USA by summer

3 hours ago, JRIH said:

The 6/21 cruises are all suddenly wait listed.  So, it looks like O is getting ready to cancel all of the June cruises.

not surprised  😷

Almost every sailing in June and July shows waitlisted.  Only a few available.  Looks like summer cruises are the next to be canceled. Once one major line cancels, most of the rest do too.  Yesterday P & O, owned by Carnival canceled most cruises in Europe until Sept or Oct. instead they doing short Britain only cruises for Brits.  Last week MSC had a problem on a Italy sailing.  Even if you have a vaccine, the world needs to be vaccinated to be safe.  Looking toward 2022 or later.  Some estimates push safety out even longer.  Not exactly an exact science. The virus is in charge. We just go along and hope for the best.

Also, Iceland may not allow the cruise.  I think that at the moment they do not allow visitors from the US.  I might be wrong.

I believe that at the moment Iceland requires visitors to have either proof of the vaccine or proof of prior infection (I think proof of prior infection only works for EU/EFTA countries) before they will let you travel around the country.

So, even if the US allows a cruise ship to dock here Iceland may not let it dock there.

I assume that the cruise ship could divert to the Caribbean to complete a cruise. 

By July 31 proof of vaccination should be easy for US passengers to provide.  This may open up places like Iceland to us.  The problem is Canada, since they have published a date-certain ban.

33 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

By July 31 proof of vaccination should be easy for US passengers to provide.

Indeed.

The interesting development will be in what format(s) and how it will be accessed by multiple countries around the world.

Also, if and when a booster is required, and where people will be able to get one of those.

Israel are currently operating their 'Green Pass' system internally for vaccinated residents.

I guess that was a major factor in Royal Caribbean's decision to send their newest ship to commence cruises from Haifa in May.

Edited by Tranquility Base

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Indeed.

The interesting development will be in what format(s) and how it will be accessed by multiple countries around the world.

Also, if and when a booster is required, and where people will be able to get one of those.

Israel are currently operating their 'Green Pass' system internally for vaccinated residents.

I guess that was a major factor in Royal Caribbean's decision to send their newest ship to commence cruises from Haifa in May.

This is where The WHO can step up.  Such a Passport needs to be universally accepted, and only an international organization is in a position to create that.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is where The WHO can step up.  Such a Passport needs to be universally accepted, and only an international organization is in a position to create that.

Timing is the issue though.

Systems are being worked through now, as implementation dates will be needed in only a few months.

IATA is working on an airline system.

Edited by Tranquility Base

I am so pessimistic about July 2021, I booked July 2022 Iceland itinerary a few months ago, and I am only 80% confident that my ship will sail next year.  On the other hand, not booking now will make your chances of snagging a  booking next year very low with hundreds of thousands trying to line up reservations for all cruises.  I see the rush the same as trying to get an appointment for a vaccine, at present.    One herd movement begets another herd movement. 

You all will have first choice on the 22 NY-NY which excludes Amsterdam and somewhere else   .O agent today confided they will wait until the almost 60 day prior final payment date to let us know their plans. Its called a free loan to O.

Just read that Iceland is opening up to UK & US tourists that have an approved proof of vaccination and it was an approved vaccine. Reading some of the detailed fine print, this should not be too tough for UK residents, but a real challenge for those in the US. 
Iceland will not be impressed with my vaccine record from Walgreens.

IMHO until there is a standard, not easily forged uniform certificate, ships will be sitting on the beach as they can’t confidently impose vaccination requirements on pax. This is where the feds need to step in and lead. I know I am dreaming-too much cool-ade.

24 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

IMHO until there is a standard, not easily forged uniform certificate, ships will be sitting on the beach as they can’t confidently impose vaccination requirements on pax. This is where the feds need to step in and lead.

I still believe the proof required will be via various approved digital apps on a phone.

Certainly this would appear to be the best system if we want systems up and running in the next couple of months.

Other systems may evolve eg: card & chip but these will take time.