Something we don’t like to think about

sjde

Here’s a question for you -how much weight have you gained on a world  cruise ? 😊

At home we don’t have pastries  with breakfast, we usually have toast or cereal.  I love pancakes,  waffles , eggs, etc - it’s just not an every day thing. And  we don’t have salad and bread and dessert with every dinner either.  When it’s all there , it’s hard to resist! I gain weight on a 1-2 week cruise. I’m one of those people who likes to try everything. 

So far only done 3 week cruises but never gained weight,try to keep up with gymn workouts but i eat and drink more or less what i want. Thinking of strategies for upcoming 2022 world cruise, ive always been slim and intend to stay that way.(i hope)

• Like 1

Lost several pounds on 180-day world cruise.  Yes, all those things are available, but you also know they will be available more than once, so the pressure to eat them, if you will, is manageable.  I love pasta, and ate it regularly, but always asked for a 1/2 portion.  Plus active days in port.  In our case, we always take the stairs on the ship and rarely use the elevators, walk the outside decks on days at sea ... or the inside hallways, if the weather is bad.

• Like 4

Same here, I usually lose weight on World Cruises, using the stairs and having more time to be active. I walk 1 to 2 hrs every morning at sea before breakfast.

As 2552phxcrzr mentioned, on a WC, the ship is your new home, so it really isn't a holiday. No need to try everything on a menu, as many of the best dishes will be repeated on future menus. On our preferred Line, you can also request specific dishes and within 48 the Chef will accommodate, if the ingredients are available.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

Yes, all those things are available, but you also know they will be available more than once, so the pressure to eat them, if you will, is manageable.

At the start of every cruise, the desire to "try everything" is and always has been strong for me.  Eventually, regardless of the cruise's length (unless it is a really short one, i.e. 4 days), I become satiated with rich, gourmet food.  (Time for a good Cheeseburger and Fries or a visit to the Salad Bar!)  That's particularly true for me on a long cruise.  After a few days, I began to realize, be patient.  That desirable item on the menu may appear again.  If not, so what?  The other choices will be more than acceptable.  

The one exception to this is when a Chef is preparing food that is specifically oriented to that particular region where the ship is sailing.  Filet of Kangaroo, John Dory:  these are entrees that I have seen on menus when I have sailed in Australian waters.  One is not going to find either of these two examples on the menu during a Baltic cruise, for example.  

When I embark a long cruise, my pants fit.  When I disembark, they still fit (unless the laundry shrunk them--which did happen once).  Using the stairs, all of the walking that one does on a ship (and the bigger the better for that, I suppose), and one's activities during port visits usually help me keep my weight in check.  

• Like 1

Our longest cruise so far has been 18 days, but I’ve always left the ship with looser pants than when I got on.  

After the first couple days, I start to self regulate really without thinking about it.  I do manage to hit the gym on all sea days, 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sjde said:

I suppose I gain because I'm usually more active at home. I walk a lot on ships and at port but not at the speed I do at home 

After I became a patient of cardiac rehab, I "discovered" the enjoyment of gyms.  Never patronized any ship's gyms before that.  But, I started using them and actually found them to be a pleasant addition to my shipboard routine.  All that I have used had the same type of machines that I had been using in rehab; staff were as helpful and pleasant as the medical professionals at my hospital; met other guests that were nicely "different" than those I came to know during other activities on the ship.  Using the gyms also helped me keep weight in check as well, I am sure.  

• Like 1

On World and longer cruises, I tend to lose a bit of weight in the course of the cruise, for the reasons several people above mention, but then gain most or all of it back the last week or so. That's when I realize I'm not going to have access to those treats soon, so over-indulge in "one last taste" of the rich goodies.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I weighed the same returning home as I did when I left. I never used an elevator the entire cruise. I rarely had dessert during dinner and only had something light in the evening. I’m also a diabetic and kept it in check by diet and exercise and had no issues. 

• Like 1

I always put on weight on a short cruise, a cruise of 10 days or less. I generally eat everything that appeals to me including rich desserts. On a World cruise, I have never gained weight. I am careful to avoid desserts and calorie rich foods because of the fear of no longer fitting into my clothes. Also, on long cruises, I am involved with more activities on board and am generally running from one thing to another; lectures, chorus, bridge games, etc. Another activity includes running to the laundry room at least two or three times a week, back and forth from my cabin which is usually quite a distance away. Putting laundry in machines, coming back to take it out and putting it into the dryers, then coming back to fold it and bring it back to my cabin. The laundry room on board the ship is a great social meeting place; you catch up on all the gossip aboard.