First Time

BSR

I’m planning to book my first Regent cruise in a Concierge Suite on the Mariner.  I have some questions: 

Cabins choices are wide open, is there any cabin numbers or decks preferences that I should be looking at? 

Can I get water bottles stocked in the mini-bar?  Is there a list of wine and bottles of alcohol you can pre order for your cabin?

I will be celebrating my birthday on board, do they do anything special?  Do I notify them ahead of time?

Any advice/information on the concierge suites would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi.  I think you have to be Penthouse or higher to pre-order your liquor.  But no problem, your steward will get you set up shortly after you board.

Yes, there is water everywhere.  Whether it's bottled or not depends on what the future brings--Regent had just replaced plastic water bottles with refillable personal bottles, and a high-tech filtration system.  Not sure what will happen post-pandemic, but you'll get your water, yes.

Are you doing Concierge because you're a first-time Regent cruiser and are looking at the benefits?  If so, fine, but look closely at the benefits to see if they are worth it--if not, don't bother, the cabins are all the same.  Mariner is a very stable ship, so your choice should be based on whether you want to be close to an elevator, for instance, or if you are extremely prone to seasickness you might want to be mid-ship, and low, or if you're worried about being under a pool deck or restaurant, then you can study the deck plans.  There's also a thread here at the top of the main Regent forum that has reviews of specific cabins.

Oh, and as for your birthday, there is space I believe on the Guest Information Form to alert the staff to a special occasion.  They'll give you a little cake, and probably some bubbly.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 3

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Doesn't the Concierge Suite give you early booking for specialty dinning and shore excursions?

The cruise is 10 days.  How many specialty dinning do you get?  Which dining venues need to be pre booked?

Not specifically to Regent but try to get a cabin on a deck with cabins above and below you. We just booked our first Regent cruise on Voyager and picked deck 9 because 10 had the pool deck above it. We have been on Celebrity suite class ships where almost all the suites are on the deck right below the pool deck and had many noise problems. And we also booked concierge and it did include early reservations for both dining rooms and shore excursions.

• Like 1

You will be able to reserve in advance 1 night in Prime 7 and 1 night in Chartreuse. You might be able to make additional reservations in those restaurants once on board.

None of the other restaurants require reservations.

BTW, there is a wealth of knowledge in the FAQ’s on the Regent website. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the home page and look for FAQ’s.

1 hour ago, Trunkabella said:

BSR, certain cabins on Mariner have combination bath/showers, while others have walk in showers.  Most people prefer the walk in showers.  The cabins with the shower only are marked on the deck plans.

Thanks.  I will look at the deck plans.  Any reason why people prefer the showers over the bath tubs?

1 hour ago, Brownie54 said:

You will be able to reserve in advance 1 night in Prime 7 and 1 night in Chartreuse. You might be able to make additional reservations in those restaurants once on board.

None of the other restaurants require reservations.

BTW, there is a wealth of knowledge in the FAQ’s on the Regent website. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the home page and look for FAQ’s.

Thanks.  I wasn't sure what restaurants needed reservations and how many you got.  I didn't notice any FAQ's, but I will take a look at the bottom of the page.

5 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Bathtubs are high and a bit difficult to step into. 

I don't have a problem getting in or out of a bathtub.  Do either of them have a rain shower or is it a hand held device?

12 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Bathtubs are high and a bit difficult to step into. 

They also are awkwardly placed next to the sink. If you have no problems bending your knees, you should be fine. But because of the proximity of the sink, you can't sit on the edge and swing in or out.

Last I was on Mariner, it was a hand-held device, but I haven't been on since the last dry dock, so that may have changed. Though I doubt it.

• Like 1

As Wendy said, Penthouse and higher have a way you can order your cabin set up (wine, liquor and soda) on line.  (This is what I have heard, not stayed in one of these.) For other cabins you can call Regent 2-3 months prior to sailing and let them know your request.  When we have done this, our cabin is already stocked when we arrive.

3 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

As Wendy said, Penthouse and higher have a way you can order your cabin set up (wine, liquor and soda) on line.  (This is what I have heard, not stayed in one of these.) For other cabins you can call Regent 2-3 months prior to sailing and let them know your request.  When we have done this, our cabin is already stocked when we arrive.

Thanks.  Is there a limit to what you can order?  Could I get a bottle of wine and a bottle of alcohol?

2 hours ago, HonTri said:

Also you can email the concierge " Exp_ExeConcierge@rssc.com" change the first three letters to your ships. This has worked for us!

Thanks for the information.

1 minute ago, BSR said:

Thanks.  Is there a limit to what you can order?  Could I get a bottle of wine and a bottle of alcohol?

I don't think there is a limit per se but I don't think they will give you a fully stocked bar with a variety of alcohol. There is the potential for too much wastage.  Once the bottle is open in your cabin they have to throw it out if you don't finish it or take it home with you. You can easily get a bottle or 2 of wine and a bottle of alcohol. They will be replaced automatically when you finish them.

After our first cruise where i ordered extra champagne, every cruise after that had an extra bottle of champagne waiting in the cabin.  There is a welcome bottle of champagne on ice when you get into the cabin.  On our first couple of cruises the bottles were opened but now i noticed they don't open them so they are not wasted if you don't like to drink champagne.

1 minute ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I don't think there is a limit per se but I don't think they will give you a fully stocked bar with a variety of alcohol. There is the potential for too much wastage.  Once the bottle is open in your cabin they have to throw it out if you don't finish it or take it home with you. You can easily get a bottle or 2 of wine and a bottle of alcohol. They will be replaced automatically when you finish them.

After our first cruise where i ordered extra champagne, every cruise after that had an extra bottle of champagne waiting in the cabin.  There is a welcome bottle of champagne on ice when you get into the cabin.  On our first couple of cruises the bottles were opened but now i noticed they don't open them so they are not wasted if you don't like to drink champagne.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I would not want to waste anything.  I think one bottle of wine and a bottle of alcohol to make some mix drinks in my suite would be plenty.  We enjoy sitting out in our balcony with a drink.  I like to have a glass of champagne and then the rest mixed with orange juice.  I'm assuming you can get a bottle of oj for the mini bar?

I read someplace (don't remember where) that you can have 2 bottles at a time, but they will replace when one is empty.  We usually order a red wine and a bottle of an after dinner liquor.  I then specify what beer and soft drinks we want.  Any soft drinks in the set up we don't want I just take and put them on a shelf next the the refrigerator.  The beer is limited in that if there isn't any of a brand in a can (like Grolsch) the bottles take up alot of space in the refrigerator.  When we need something else, we either tell our steward or leave a note.

You really will be well taken care of.

The evening dress recommendation were made (IMO) before evening capris were popular.  This has been much discussed on this thread, with nothing determined.  I don't think you will have a problem with them.  You can pretty much tell after your first night onboard (not the Captains reception - that will be a dressy evening for some ) that nice slacks (or capris) and a sweater or blouse etc are just fine.

10 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

The evening dress recommendation were made (IMO) before evening capris were popular.  This has been much discussed on this thread, with nothing determined.  I don't think you will have a problem with them.  You can pretty much tell after your first night onboard (not the Captains reception - that will be a dressy evening for some ) that nice slacks (or capris) and a sweater or blouse etc are just fine.

As "MJ" says.....A "Much Discussed" topic in past months/years!  Exhaustively, So! Excruciatingly, So!....It's "right up there" with "Tipping on Regent"....😜 If you're new to Regent, I completely agree with the advice of taking the first day/evening or so, to "look around" and see "what's happening".  You will certainly not "go wrong" if you err on the "dressy side" (but certainly no need for "formal") to begin with, rather than on "the casual side".  For men...dress slacks and collared shirt...for ladies, a nice pair of slacks and a sweater/blouse/top and "a bit of bling".  Regent is not Cunard....and it's not Carnival, either...you'll be fine with something "in between"....Have fun!

19 hours ago, BSR said:

Thanks.  I wasn't sure what restaurants needed reservations and how many you got.  I didn't notice any FAQ's, but I will take a look at the bottom of the page.

I wouldn't book Concierge just for the early dining and excursion booking.  But then again, I'm Gold status, so we get those things earlier than some.  Everyone is supposed to be guaranteed one visit to each specialty restaurant per cruise.  It's just a matter of getting desirable times and dates.

It used to be that it was recommended to stick to Compass Rose the second night of the cruise, since that's Captain's Welcome night and the menu is extra special.

1 hour ago, BSR said:

I read the dress code recommendations.  Can I wear long capris with dress sandals at night in the dining rooms?  How dressy is Regent?

As others have said, you can be as dressy or not-dressy as you like.  I almost always wear sandals to dinner, dressy ones.  If the capris are dressy and not too s hort, you should be fine.

As for the shower versus tub controversy, if you don't mind a tub, go for it.  But I can't attest to their features since it wouldn't work for us.