First Time

BSR

On 3/14/2021 at 12:50 PM, Mr. B said:

Not to hijack this thread, but another RSSC newbie booked this fall (Navigator, MS Suite -- Montreal:Miami) with some questions:

How difficult is it to get a table for 2 in Compass Rose arriving at 7pm? 
Recommendations for a QUIET lounge/bar (or even a particular place in a lounge) for pre-dinner cocktails?

One of my major complaints about Regent is that too often there is no "quiet" lounge.  Unfortunately Regent tends to amplify sound in all its entertainment venues. For my taste the sound is usually too loud and even sitting in far corners of one of the lounges is nowhere near what I would describe as "quiet".  This is an ongoing problem that has been mentioned in other CC threads.

Getting a table at 7 pm in Compass Rose is usually no problem.  Getting a window table may be more consistently likely a bit earlier.  Usually if a dining venue has a waitlist, you can add your name to the list and ask to be contacted at whatever lounge you would like to wait in.  Just be sure to let the lounge staff know you are expecting a notification of availability from the restaurant. 

15 hours ago, BSR said:

So you get a card each time you participate in a game?

In my somewhat limited experience, not everyone who participates received points. If I recall it was more a case of top 3 teams or individuals received points. After a 2 week TA we had enough for 2 t-shirts, and donated a few leftover points to people behind us in the redemption line.

How many and to who Regent point cards go to is kind of dependent on the crew member running the activity.  Some activities have more consistent points awarded.  Trivia points given for 1, 2 and 3 places.  If there are ties, both get the points.  Get points for completing Mensa Quiz based on how many correct answers.  Other events you could get something for showing up.  It is really a way to get people to activities which are enjoyable for the most part.  There is a nice variety of Regent gear for points. 

5 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

How many and to who Regent point cards go to is kind of dependent on the crew member running the activity.  Some activities have more consistent points awarded.  Trivia points given for 1, 2 and 3 places.  If there are ties, both get the points.  Get points for completing Mensa Quiz based on how many correct answers.  Other events you could get something for showing up.  It is really a way to get people to activities which are enjoyable for the most part.  There is a nice variety of Regent gear for points. 

Thanks for the information.  We enjoy playing trivia on other cruise lines and may try it on Regent.

On 3/16/2021 at 9:30 PM, BSR said:

Thanks for answering my question.  So you get a card each time you participate in a game?

In many cases yes, but in others you only get points for finishing in the top 3.  Those are frequently team activities rather than individual activities.  In any case, they are all fun and generally not very difficult.

3 hours ago, DarthCruiser said:

In many cases yes, but in others you only get points for finishing in the top 3.  Those are frequently team activities rather than individual activities.  In any case, they are all fun and generally not very difficult.

It's always fun to participate in some ship activities.  Thanks for answering my question.

Do you count embarkation as day 1 of your cruise?   If so, then day 2

(first full cruise day) is when the Captains Reception party is and special

menu in Compass Rose?

Edited by BSR

BSR:  This is a stretch for me, but will refrain from a longer response.  

Specific answer is:  

Yes.  

PS:  Mark Twain once-opined when offering a reason for penning an overly-effusive and lengthy letter to a friend in his follow-up missive:   

"Apology for my initial letter.  I did not take the time necessary to write a shorter one."

PPS:  In our experience--particularly over the last 10 years, every dinner at Compass Rose has a special quality due to offering specialty options from the other specialty (reservation required) restaurants in the Fleet.  

GOARMY!

To expand on how nice dinner is in Compass Rose. 

You can check out the menus ahead of time on your TV.  Also, if you see an appetizer you would like as a main entre, just ask for it.  The sherbet before the main dish is always nice and refreshing.  The "always available" are also really nice selections and include steak, lobster, salmon.  Since coming out with the new menu several years ago I have really enjoyed the nice selection of vegetables.  The first cruise we were on with this menu, it seemed cumbersome with bringing the vegetable in side dishes and crowded the table.  The last couple of times, the vegetables are usually now placed on the main dish and the table doesn't get as crowded.

So from the menu you can order as little or as much as you want,  appetizer, soup, salad, main entre with vegetables.  After you are finished with your entre, they will clear the table and bring you a small tiered dish with petit fours and a dessert menu.  There is a nice selection for desserts also.  No need to hurry through your dinner, you will not be rushed.  Every evening in the Compass Rose is always nice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GOARMY said:

In our experience--particularly over the last 10 years, every dinner at Compass Rose has a special quality

Agreed, we love the extensive, varied & delicious menu in Compass Rose, with the "always available" and the "daily specials😋

We try not to miss the Miso Sea Bass which is normally served on the evening of the Seven Seas Society party (not on the night of the Captain's Welcome Reception); but if we do miss it then we sometimes make a special request for it to be prepared for us on another night.

(If the ingredients are available on board the Chefs will prepare any dish you desire given 24-48 hours notice 🙂)

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

As a comparison, you can eat by the pool with no dress code and be in and out in 30 minutes.

PC - We really like that relatively new informal dining option as well!...And we also like those seemingly "rare times" (at least to me) when an evening party "breaks out" on the pool deck after dinner and there's a band, drinks, and some dancing going on!  Warm evenings, gentle breezes, smooth seas, and a "party atmosphere" onboard.  We are very much hoping for those exact "type of evenings" on our "Mariner" Panama Canal Cruise in December 2021.  Fingers Crossed! 

On 3/17/2021 at 12:16 AM, BSR said:

By participating in the daily activities aboard Regent (trivia, etc) do they give you points towards a prize?  How does it work?  Do you have a card that they sign? 

On 3/17/2021 at 1:16 AM, DarthCruiser said:

Participation and/or doing well in these games will reward you with points.  The points are given as laminated cards that can be redeemed for items with the Regent logo at the end of the cruise.

Here is an example of the points cards that can be collected:

470220454_RegentRewards0002.thumb.jpg.55ce82eddea317cc2d6dbba8ac4459e7.jpg

........ and the redemption values (this can change depending on voyage length, number of sea days, number of activities)

fullsizeoutput_4ea.thumb.jpeg.3d81665b0ba7e2c32db39ad03c076627.jpeg

The cards also make good book-marks (but not for a Kindle 😉)

15 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Smile at the girls handing them out - you get more that way.

The male members of the Entertainment Team also appreciate genial guests.

16 hours ago, BSR said:

It's always fun to participate in some ship activities.

The Officers versus Guests tournaments are usually good entertainment. Some of the ship's Officers are very competitive 😮

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flossie009 said:

The Officers versus Guests tournaments are usually good entertainment. Some of the ship's Officers are very competitive 😮

I've never seen the Officers participate in tournaments before.  Should be fun to play with them and to watch.

Thanks for all the comments regarding Compass Rose.   I was trying to figure out what night the Captains Reception party is held and if we should dine in Compass Rose after it or book a specialty restaurant.  Will I be missing anything special on the menu in CR for that particular night? GOARMY did reply and said it was the 2nd night of the cruise.

31 minutes ago, BSR said:

Thanks for all the comments regarding Compass Rose.   I was trying to figure out what night the Captains Reception party is held and if we should dine in Compass Rose after it or book a specialty restaurant.  Will I be missing anything special on the menu in CR for that particular night? GOARMY did reply and said it was the 2nd night of the cruise.

Yes, CR usually has a special menu that night, Beef Wellington comes to mind.  But it's also a good night to go to a specialty resto just because CR tends to be crowded that night.

I would add Lobster Thermidor to the special night's menu along with the Beef Wellington, but I remember this meal being near the end of each leg of the cruise, maybe following the Captain's farewell and Crew Capers.  

23 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Here is an example of the points cards that can be collected:

470220454_RegentRewards0002.thumb.jpg.55ce82eddea317cc2d6dbba8ac4459e7.jpg

........ and the redemption values (this can change depending on voyage length, number of sea days, number of activities)

fullsizeoutput_4ea.thumb.jpeg.3d81665b0ba7e2c32db39ad03c076627.jpeg

The cards also make good book-marks (but not for a Kindle 😉)

I like a good game of trivia now and then.  My husband will probably just go to the gift shop and purchase some swag after paying for the cruise. 😉

2 hours ago, Scout16 said:

I would add Lobster Thermidor to the special night's menu along with the Beef Wellington, but I remember this meal being near the end of each leg of the cruise, maybe following the Captain's farewell and Crew Capers.  

You are correct. It is next to last night for lobster thermidor. Mmmmm, I can still taste and savor it....

3 hours ago, Scout16 said:

Both items sounds good.

2 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

I like a good game of trivia now and then.  My husband will probably just go to the gift shop and purchase some swag after paying for the cruise. 😉

I agree, just purchase what you want when you see it in the gift shop.