Greek islands cruise

Gertie17

Can anyone tell me if there is a particular favored direction on a Greek islands cruise?  Like start and end port.  Not sure which port we are starting out at yet. Probably Athens or Istanbul.

Thanks

]Pam

Your question isn’t clear, but if you are asking whether it is best to do Athens to Istanbul or Istanbul to Athens then my very slight preference would be to start from Istanbul so that you sail them rough the Dardanelles in daylight, rather than the middle of the night. Other than that I can’t think of much difference.

My preference would be Venice. As well as getting that sail away, you will also visit the likes of Split, Dubrovnik of Kotor, which are in my opinion much nicer than most of the Greek Islands you visit.

The only issue with Venice is that you have less time at the Greek Islands themselves. If sailing from there then you really need more than 7 days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gertie17 said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a particular favored direction on a Greek islands cruise?  Like start and end port.  Not sure which port we are starting out at yet. Probably Athens or Istanbul.

Thanks

]Pam

Yes there is.  The best direction is the one that YOU think is best - it doesn't matter a hoot what others think.  My preference is to end up in Venice for a few days extra vacation; YOU may have totally different desires.  I'm not sure YOU can decide if YOU don't even know where you are embarking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Yes there is.  The best direction is the one that YOU think is best - it doesn't matter a hoot what others think.  My preference is to end up in Venice for a few days extra vacation; YOU may have totally different desires.  I'm not sure YOU can decide if YOU don't even know where you are embarking.

Wow. Didn’t have your coffee yet?  Clearly the OP is interested in others’ opinions.... 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, OzCanuck said:

Wow. Didn’t have your coffee yet?  Clearly the OP is interested in others’ opinions.... 

Well first of all, it's not a coffee issue - fully alert and lucid here.  But it strikes me as silly to ask people to opine on a direction to cruise when even the OP is "Not sure which port we are starting out at yet. Probably Athens or Istanbul," or for that matter where they are disembarking.  There is a world of difference between Athens and Istanbul, and any other potential embarkation ports for a Greek Isles cruise.  Nonetheless, I did offer an opinion that you and the OP are free to accept or reject as you will.  Moreover, I believe in 'self reliance', i.e., reliance on one's own efforts and abilities, interests and disinterests, to determine where they want to go in all of life.  Now, there is another opinion that you can use as you will.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

Well first of all, it's not a coffee issue - fully alert and lucid here.  But it strikes me as silly to ask people to opine on a direction to cruise when even the OP is "Not sure which port we are starting out at yet. Probably Athens or Istanbul," or for that matter where they are disembarking.  There is a world of difference between Athens and Istanbul, and any other potential embarkation ports for a Greek Isles cruise.  Nonetheless, I did offer an opinion that you and the OP are free to accept or reject as you will.  Moreover, I believe in 'self reliance', i.e., reliance on one's own efforts and abilities, interests and disinterests, to determine where they want to go in all of life.  Now, there is another opinion that you can use as you will.

Way to add more value. 🙄

Nothing to see here Gertie17.  Hopefully you’ll get some helpful advice. 

17 hours ago, Gertie17 said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a particular favored direction on a Greek islands cruise?  Like start and end port.  Not sure which port we are starting out at yet.

Try to study this question bottom up rather than top down at a distance. View the detailed port arrival and departure times of day and duration in either direction. There likely will be weird pitfalls that you can trade off once educated. For example the most important issue to me was to reach Mykonos before the last ferry excursion to the archeological isle of Delos left around noon. I also put a lot of time studying routes thru Croatia and Norway and benefited a lot from exploiting the variations.

I'm doing a 7 night Greek isles in August 2022 out of Venice on the Gem.  I've sailed out of Venice before, and while pricey, is utterly gorgeous.  In looking at Greek isle itineraries I also paid attention to the size of the ships on offer.  The bigger the ship could mean more ports that require tendering, and longer waits to disembark.  With the Gem being on the smaller side, my only tender port will be Santorini.  I hope this helps.