Diamond Lounge

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

There is more to the DL than drinks. What about the specialty coffee machine? How about the morning continental breakfast and the evening snacks? Come on three drinks .... a coffee or two at breakfast and then what do you have .... one drink ( and what if you want a soda after a day off the ship?) Then no drinks.

Doesn't seem like much for D and D+ loyalty.

Good point! We may have one adult beverage in the DL and many times dw drinks water and I will have a diet soda. To us the DL is more about socializing with fellow cruisers than getting a drink. We have met several friends that we keep in contact with after the cruise. To us the DL is the major perk, not the "free" drinks.

Edited by airbusdrvr
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

See post 20.

Ok, you made your point.  I responded before reading past that point.in the thread.  I had been in the DL in Quantum and decided to comment.  I did see post 20 after I replied, but thank you for asking me to see it again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Ok, you made your point.  I responded before reading past that point.in the thread.  I had been in the DL in Quantum and decided to comment.  I did see post 20 after I replied, but thank you for asking me to see it again.

That happens all the time but many don't feel the need to refer you back to their post #.

Many times you're the first reply to an easy question then other's feel the need to basically post the same thing 20 more times...sometimes changing a word sometimes not  :classic_wink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the mistral wind said:

Because of covvid 19 we haven't gone anywhere for a while. We are Diamond and planning a trip on the vision of the seas. Do they still have the Diamond lounge in 2021 dec.? We love those perks and yes it is a deciding factor for us to book this ship. Thank You for your replies.

It was only a small Diamond lounge on Vision on the side of a bigger lounge that hardly got used when we were on Vision or Splendour which was a vision class ship before being sold to Marella.

Hopefully it will be used and the bigger hardly used lounge it is part of could be incorporated into an overflow or socially distanced Diamond Lounge.

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Well if pinnacle can go to diamond lounge, then that to me says there is a diamond lounge to go to.

They could always make the diamond lounge only for pinnacles so then there wouldn’t really be a diamond lounge.

28 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I think the space will go away all together. They were created during a time when Royal was experimenting with how to best optimized spaces on their ships. Now they came up with a system that greatly reduces the need for the lounge. We will see them slowly start disappearing from ships in the 20s.

Just more speculation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Now they came up with a system that greatly reduces the need for the lounge. We will see them slowly start disappearing from ships in the 20s.

Disagree.  The three drinks on your card system has now been around for years.  While some bought into it, the D Lounges remained crowded because people voted with their feet for the lounges.  Closing them would anger the majority of D and D+ just when the company needs customer loyalty to sell cabins.

As far as you statement that they will disappear, I see no factual evidence.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Nobody knows. Royal let go the C&A Ambassador shorty after cruise stopped. That should tell you a lot. I always say, you want certain amenities, book the Appropriate cabin. 😎

M8

Seriously though, what would she have been doing these past 12 months

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Empehi said:

There is more to the DL than drinks. What about the specialty coffee machine? How about the morning continental breakfast and the evening snacks? Come on three drinks .... a coffee or two at breakfast and then what do you have .... one drink ( and what if you want a soda after a day off the ship?) Then no drinks.

No free soda during day in the DL

Singapore cruises also got one free specialty coffee per day as well.

FWIW, D+ got 4 vouchers and Pinnacle got 5.

Good all day. Pretty much any drink you wanted.

I'd take that over current scheme any day

• Like 5

7 hours ago, airbusdrvr said:

Good point! We may have one adult beverage in the DL and many times dw drinks water and I will have a diet soda. To us the DL is more about socializing with fellow cruisers than getting a drink. We have met several friends that we keep in contact with after the cruise. To us the DL is the major perk, not the "free" drinks.

Yep, that's where we hook up with Like Minded Peeples 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, yogimax said:

I assume you mean that they will be renamed D+ Lounge.

Loyalty Lounge or Crown & Anchor Lounge.

Gives them flexibility

D+ Lounge just doesn't sound right 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Disagree.  The three drinks on your card system has now been around for years.  While some bought into it, the D Lounges remained crowded because people voted with their feet for the lounges.  Closing them would anger the majority of D and D+ just when the company needs customer loyalty to sell cabins.

As far as you statement that they will disappear, I see no factual evidence.

But you can agree things were changing in January 2020.

Which direction it goes is unknown.

Either one of you could be right

Edited by John&LaLa

38 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

But you can agree things were changing in January 2020.

Which direction it goes is unknown.

Either one of you could be right

Good point.  The removal of D+ from the CL happened just before cruises were suspended.  This is the memory still in our minds.  I doubt if they would further offend D+ by taking the lounges totally away.

I also agree with your point that one of the main points of the lounges is socialization.  That's probably where we first met you!  LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Empehi said:

Nothing New. When I became Diamond over 20yrs ago was Top Tier, was no Diamond+ or Pineapple. We had access to CL and was no SL, was first on/off Ship(except Wedding Parties). Got Formal meets with all Senior Staff.  Of course back then 8-10 Diamonds at most on a Cruise, this on newest ships sailing popular routes. And now on a Radiance Class might have 1000+ Upper Tier Members on a Repo/TA. Oh and back then Soda Pop was free for all with all Main Meals. One thing liked about Cruises on NCL, they had Pop Vending Machine with 20oz Mt Dew Bottles, sure was $2 but beats Fountain Drinks

27 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Good point.  The removal of D+ from the CL happened just before cruises were suspended.  This is the memory still in our minds.  I doubt if they would further offend D+ by taking the lounges totally away.

I also agree with your point that one of the main points of the lounges is socialization.  That's probably where we first met you!  LOL

I was going to meet @Oxo in December on Oasis. 

Whatever happened to him?

30 minutes ago, yogimax said:

We sailed 2 or 3 times in 2020, but all on ships without CL's so didn't notice it

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We sailed 2 or 3 times in 2020, but all on ships without CL's so didn't notice it

It was most noticeable on Anthem out of Bayonne.  One of the best CLs in the fleet... never overcrowded.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, airbusdrvr said:

It is definitely nice to meet up with other folks who have cruised enough to earn the status.  Almost always managed to learn some interesting fact about travel that way.  Enjoying the drinks has always been a nice touch as well. On some of our recent sailings we also made a meal more or less out of the snacks served with the drinks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Empehi said:

The continental breakfast and snacks may be a thing of the past in a post Covid environment.  There seems to be a trend away from any buffet style service.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It was only a small Diamond lounge on Vision on the side of a bigger lounge that hardly got used when we were on Vision or Splendour which was a vision class ship before being sold to Marella.

Hopefully it will be used and the bigger hardly used lounge it is part of could be incorporated into an overflow or socially distanced Diamond Lounge.

On Vision class that lounge (South Pacific on GR) is used for art auctions, Quest and karaoke  outside of DL happy hour.   On both ships, the (SP on GR) lounge is used as overflow.   On GR, the DL is in the back of the lounge, on Vision, it's on the left side.   So, it's already used as overflow (at least a portion of it is).  During HH, the portion that isn't used for overflow is open to all, but there is no bar.  They make the DL drinks in a space that sits off the lounge up not far from the stage.

37 minutes ago, BND said:

On Vision class that lounge (South Pacific on GR) is used for art auctions, Quest and karaoke  outside of DL happy hour.   On both ships, the (SP on GR) lounge is used as overflow.   On GR, the DL is in the back of the lounge, on Vision, it's on the left side.   So, it's already used as overflow (at least a portion of it is).  During HH, the portion that isn't used for overflow is open to all, but there is no bar.  They make the DL drinks in a space that sits off the lounge up not far from the stage.

I'm pleased the lounge is now being utilised since our cruises.

Our last time on Vision was February 2017 out of Dubai.

Our 3 cruises on Splendour out of Venice were June 2012, November 2013 and October 2014 when the lounge was under utilised and the DLs were rarely full.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

• 1 month later...

We only just attained Diamond level before Covid struck and so have not enjoyed any of the benefits as yet. I do hope most are not removed for our October 2021 cruise (if it sales). I will be really disappointed if that was the case. I was looking forward to a few free drinks in a lounge, 

• Like 2

I am enjoying all of the different opinions expressed here. Let's hope we get back to cruising soon and find out what the reality is. If we look at what Celebrity is doing, it might give us some clues as to where RCL is headed.

I thought that prior to Covid, D+ members were allowed in the CL. On the RCL website it looks like that is no longer the case. Am I wrong, or has this changed?

Cheers!!