Fly into Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

imola

I have flown into both for cruises from PortMiami, and all things being equal, I'm happiest if the flight configurations point me to flying into Miami.  As for cost, it all seems to become a wash for me.  As others have said, it's really all about the times and directness of the flights.  Sometimes I'll even fly into the one and out of the other if it seems more convenient.  I will pay more for convenience, especially when I'm on vacation.

10 hours ago, naxer said:

Sometimes I'll even fly into the one and out of the other if it seems more convenient.  I will pay more for convenience, especially when I'm on vacation.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but with some airlines (e.g. Southwest) there is no cost difference.  We're scheduled to fly into FLL and out of MIA this October.  Non-stop in and direct out.  I hate changing planes and making (missing) connections.

On 4/8/2021 at 1:23 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

I know people who have and I know how bad south FL is for driving. A lot of people do not have rental insurance on their auto policy.

It is hard to say what "a lot" of or "most" people have. I have always carried comprehensive and liability insurance and I've had it through GEICO, State Farm, Allstate, Farmer's and AAA. In all cases with all those companies, my insurance covered rental cars.

If there are gaps in my coverage, the gold card credit cards I use to pay for the rental cover them.

I had to turn a car back into Avis at HNL to get a new one because there was a coconut halfway in, halfway of of my windshield. The crew at Avis didn't blink (they did laugh) and gave me a new car and that was the end of it.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:22 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

That's not true. You must have the rental car insurance added to the policy. It is not automatic and I know this for a fact. It is part of the reason we dumped State Farm. It is not difficult to verify with your insurance company. A quick call or verify the policy yourself.

I've never had to add rental car protection at any insurance company. I know that for a fact.

I am on a repo from NYC to Fll in November. I booked an early evening flight back to Newark from MIA be cause it was $55 total for two cheaper than from Fll.  I am hoping to take the cruise lines excursion that will drop you off at the airport.  There is one excursion for each.  I'm just worried that not enough people will sign up to go to MIA and they will cancel it.  In that case is it feasible to rent a car with pickup at Fll port and then drop off in MIA?

8 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I am on a repo from NYC to Fll in November. I booked an early evening flight back to Newark from MIA be cause it was $55 total for two cheaper than from Fll.  I am hoping to take the cruise lines excursion that will drop you off at the airport.  There is one excursion for each.  I'm just worried that not enough people will sign up to go to MIA and they will cancel it.  In that case is it feasible to rent a car with pickup at Fll port and then drop off in MIA?

You could rent a car FLL-MIA, but it would be easier to use Uber or Lyft for about $40+, a cab for about $75+, or the Tri-Rail train for about $5.  Your call. 😊

On 4/8/2021 at 7:48 PM, CaptainHazelwood said:

There's no such thing.  All normal auto insurance policies cover the insured while using a rental car.

I think the poster is talking about the fact that so many South Floridians do not have car insurance at all.  Probably more than one in ten cars here are not insured.

On 4/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, CaptainHazelwood said:

I priced an Avis recently for $26.  If you don't create one of their rewards accounts, it priced out much higher.

Correction.  I posted some inaccurate info here.  I tried to book this today and discovered that the low price (now $30 rate) was because I still had a Megacorp corporate rate tied to my account.  What would have been about $47 after taxes, etc. is closer to $150.  I quit Megacorp years ago, so it wouldn't be honest to still claim that discount.