Suite noise from Lido Deck Above?

MarkBearSF

One of my rules of cabin selection is to avoid cabins with a pool deck above. To avoid the bumping and scraping as they unstack the chairs and drag them to location after cleaning the deck early in the morning (and the reverse in the evening).

I was looking at the midship suites on the Ruby Princess and I see that they are right in the center, where the lounges are likely stored. (I assume other ships in the fleet have a similar design)

Has this been a problem for you?

Edited by MarkBearSF

3 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

One of my rules of cabin selection is to avoid cabins with a pool deck above. To avoid the bumping and scraping as they unstack the chairs and drag them to location after cleaning the deck early in the morning (and the reverse in the evening).

I was looking at the midship suites on the Ruby Princess and I see that they are right in the center, where the lounges are likely stored. (I assume other ships in the fleet have a similar design)

My simple rule when booking a cabin is that there must be cabins above and below mine. I don't get any cabin that cannot meet this requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, leck57 said:

My simple rule when booking a cabin is that there must be cabins above and below mine. I don't get any cabin that cannot meet this requirement.

In general, that's my preference as well. I have, on occasion, done OK with spaces like the Library, Beauty Salon, or Future Cruise Office above or below. 

It was surprising seeing that their top suites were under the Deck, so I wondered if there was extra soundproofing or procedures to minimize any noise.

5 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

We did a cruise from Sydney October 2019 on the Ruby and had suite R412. Would not recommend it if you like sitting on your balcony as we did with the mother-in-law who had the balcony cabin next door. All day there was a constant scrapping of the chairs from above and then the pounding when anybody ran (it was in school time but there was still a few children on the ship). Of course the noise level varied depending on what was happening above. I can honestly say though it didn't affect our sleeping.  Can only hope they have fixed all the rust on the balconies - the whole overhang deck was more brown in colour than white and did not make sitting out there a pleasant experience. We actually got a free day in the Sanctuary as they were wanting to start scrapping the rust - mammoth job - no excuse really now for it not to be fixed over the last year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

In general, that's my preference as well. I have, on occasion, done OK with spaces like the Library, Beauty Salon, or Future Cruise Office above or below. 

It was surprising seeing that their top suites were under the Deck, so I wondered if there was extra soundproofing or procedures to minimize any noise.

If by "top" you mean most expensive, Princess believes the higher you are and the closer to center you are the better the location is and thus a higher price.

This definition of "better" does not at all consider noise levels, what is above the cabin or any other factor other that higher and closer to center.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

This definition of "better" does not at all consider noise levels, what is above the cabin or any other factor other that higher and closer to center.

Yes, I'm familiar with Princess category pricing. And by "top" I mean the most expensive suites. 

It appears that Princess has, indeed, saddled those suites with a poor location beneath the pool deck. Which is a surprisingly poor bit of ship design. It appears that they started this placement with the Caribbean Princess or so, but in the classes before and after, they had the suites isolated from Lido Deck sounds. 

Not the same ship but... We sailed 14 days on Star Princess in a balcony directly below the main pool area. I know everybody says that is a horrible location but we never heard a sound from chair scraping, pool equipment, or MUTS. Your mileage may vary.

we took an upsell to a PH on the CB and ended up under the Ice Cream Station on the Lido deck

Chair scraping noise during the day when we happened to be in the cabin, but nothing so bad that prevented me from taking a nap on the balcony ... and nothing early morning or late night that we noticed

On 3/8/2021 at 2:23 PM, MarkBearSF said:

We sailed in R404 on Crown for a two week Med cruise a few years back.  It was an upgrade from a MA (pre club class) mini booked for our 30th anniversary.  I took the upgrade - FULL SUITE - who says no!  But then fretted over the room location for the many weeks before the voyage.

In reality deck noise was a total non event.  Did we ever hear noise from above, yes a couple of times we heard chairs being dragged.  But that was it, nothing more, no jogging, no footsteps, no music.  Nothing intrusive every happened that lasted more than 5 seconds.  Really.  We ended up loving the central location, the ease of popping up a deck for a slice of pizza or a drink from the bar, the positives most definitely outweighed any small negatives.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 5:23 PM, MarkBearSF said:

I'd say you can check deck plans right on CC. Try to match your cabin & go from there. We should have done that on the QV years back. Loved the sound of trollies going back & forth at breakfast.

We always book either Lido deck or one deck below and usually a mini suite, but have sailed in the deluxe balconies on Royal class ships.  We like easy access to Lido deck without having to bother with an elevator.  We haven’t really experienced noise that was unbearable or a deal breaker for us.  We’re booked on Enchanted in 2022 on Marina deck, mini suite with the angled extended balcony very close to the main elevators.  Perfect location for us!