Royal Cancels MAY sailings in US

16 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

We had a cruised booked for last April, booked through an online travel agency. We got the cancellation e-mail directly from the cruise line, with our options.

That's great.   I wasn't sure if the email goes to the customer when they use a TA.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Why is it every time one month of cruising is cancelled people start asking when the following month will be cancelled?     

Because it has been that way for the last 12 months........I can see the same thing happening for the next 6 months for US departing cruises.

5 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Watching for the next announcement in mid April announcing cruises being cancelled for June and July, unfortunately, that seems to be the pattern on how announcements have been coming down. Let me go one step further asking those who booked through RCI or a TA where they had cruises booked prior to April and May as well as in those two months. Have you received a notification that your cruise has been cancelled and what were your options.

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

I have an Alaskan cruise - May 28, 2021  departure- that I booked directly through RCI.  No emails ... but I just checked my cruise planner page and it says "Voyage Cancelled".   not surprised but don't officially know what my options are.

I haven't received an email from Royal Caribbean yet, but this afternoon I saw that May was cancelled and called them up.  48 minutes later, I was off the phone, successfully having lifted and shifted from May 9 2021 Mediterranean cruise to May 8 2022 Mediterranean cruise.  When I saw that May was cancelled, I just started dialing.   My assumption is that emails will go out tomorrow and then their phone lines will be deluged.  Now, when I go on the Royal website I'm greeted with "425 days" until my next cruise!

Edited by ladychater

14 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

All this lift and shift and FCC is massively distorting the market. Rolling over demand will push the prices and margins way up for Royal. If half a ship is 125% FCC then the other half ends up paying 25% above market price for nothing other than fake demand.  This is going to mess cruising up for years one way or another. 

It seems like they are trying to discourage L&S by reducing the time period that the cruise can be Lifted and shifted and only offering it to select sailings. I guess they caught on that people were booking lower rate cruises knowing that they wouldn't sail just so they could get ahead of the inflated prices. Until they can operate at full capacity and all of those FCCs are burned they are going to still be struggling to make a profit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

It seems like they are trying to discourage L&S

I think this is about the 5th version of L&S since they started - if they wanted to discourage L&S they would have just discontinued it.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I think is about the 5th version of L&S since they started - if they wanted to discourage L&S they would have just discontinued it.

They have to wean people off while they still try to keep their money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

I think is about the 5th version of L&S since they started - if they wanted to discourage L&S they would have just discontinued it.

Its preferable to giving a refund of 5 grand on a cruise which has passed final payment. 

Im in a pretty crap place because i wanted to cruise on an Amped Allure, now im on Harmony which may or may not sail. If i L&S then ill be back on Allure and no idea if its amped or not. 

If it turns out that in 2022 the ship still isnt amped by the time im on it then they will be paying me a chunk of money back after the cruise. 

Just annoyed at Royal.  They wait until the last minute to cancel.  Perhaps in an attempt to increase revenue because so many people pay in full and "wait" for a 125% voucher for another cruise.  We were bumped from our end of may cruise, and have another booked for August.  I told my husband, we should cancel that also, but he insists on getting the voucher for an August cruise.  It will be to the Bahamas and Caribbean- but I do not think August is going to happen either. Maybe January.

While we do book in advance with a deposit, hope that we are all well next year to sail. As we age- who knows! 

1 minute ago, Pandamonia said:

If it turns out that in 2022 the ship still isnt amped by the time im on it then they will be paying me a chunk of money back after the cruise. 

Why would you book knowing (not if) it won't be Amped? Good luck getting any money back for that reason.

2 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

There are no breaks in Allures schedule that would suggest that she will be getting amped.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Its preferable to giving a refund of 5 grand on a cruise which has passed final payment. 

Im in a pretty crap place because i wanted to cruise on an Amped Allure, now im on Harmony which may or may not sail. If i L&S then ill be back on Allure and no idea if its amped or not. 

Are you going to cancel 2022 or are you going to sail and if it's not amped ask for a refund? It seems to me that you would know before you sailed whether it was amped or not.

Edited by Iamcruzin

33 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Why would you book knowing (not if) it won't be Amped? Good luck getting any money back for that reason.

Well actually i was never informed anything about the Amp. No communication was ever sent to the customers who bought those cruises and the 2022 season was being sold as Amped since it went on sale. 

In typical Royal fashion communication is zero. 

The cruise fare is still based on an Amped ship and not a rough condition ship that was due to be amped 2 years prior. 

Fact is that they wouldnt even fight it they would just make an offer to get rid of the issue. Their lack of communication on cruises and constant cancellations also make them liable for loss of money on the flights i had. Again its not relevant if they are right or wrong. they will just settle the dispute as fighting it will be time consuming and expensive. 

We did the same to Tui about a covid ski trip they refused to refund. they didnt even respond to the claim and ended up paying 50% more than the original cost of the holiday. 

they do this because 99% of people will never take action against them. Royals behavior has been shocking since the crisis started. They are constantly last to cancel and offer no guidance what so ever and even sell cruises the day before they cancel. 

10 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Maybe stop booking? I get once or twice, but 13 times. 🤷‍♂️

Yup first cancellation was march 2020.  As I keep switching or rebooking cancelled cruises from 2020 to 2021 they get cancelled too.   Now have 8 booked cruises between august 2021 and march 2022.   

1 hour ago, Pandamonia said:

Mai I ask what will the amp of allure mean to you?  The ship is beautiful when I sailed on her jan 2020.  Why is it so important to you?

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Mai I ask what will the amp of allure mean to you?  The ship is beautiful when I sailed on her jan 2020.  Why is it so important to you?

All of the upgraded features, the restaurants and experiences on board. This was supposed to be the intro to cruising for my brother and my nephew who will now miss out on all the upgraded kids features. Instead they are sitting on a Lift and shift to a cruise which wont sale and if it does could end up being a terrible first experience to cruising with masks and other restrictions. 

30 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

All of the upgraded features, the restaurants and experiences on board. This was supposed to be the intro to cruising for my brother and my nephew who will now miss out on all the upgraded kids features. Instead they are sitting on a Lift and shift to a cruise which wont sale and if it does could end up being a terrible first experience to cruising with masks and other restrictions. 

Why would you subject a new cruiser to these conditions?  I won't even book and I have been cruising since 1986.  I would take a refund and wait until the dust settles.  It seems like cruising won't happen for a while yet.  I suspect even with the restart there are going to be many changes and cancellations. 

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Why would you subject a new cruiser to these conditions?  I won't even book and I have been cruising since 1986.  I would take a refund and wait until the dust settles.  It seems like cruising won't happen for a while yet.  I suspect even with the restart there are going to be many changes and cancellations. 

It may get cancelled. Problem is they have flights they have to use or lose a huge sum of money. Its a right mess to be honest and royals lack of commitment to a start date or cancelling until the 11th hour has caused extra costs and losses. 

They are not due to sail till August so maybe summer will change things with the vaccine roll out in the UK being so fast.