Over a thousand dollars to add an extra passenger?

coaster

12 hours ago, jmhlin said:

When they have so many people took the 125% fcc offer, you kind of know they will jack up the price. I hope people will be like you and don't take the FCC offer because it is just highway robbery. If you compare the 4 perks to the so call all included deals now, the way they did it really make you think this company is running by con artists. NRD, basic drink, text wifi are what they offer now. If you want refundable, streaming wifi and premium drink, it is a totally different price. Just be careful when you book, it is NRD and FCC is also non refundable. I know, I know, all cruise lines want your money but the way they treat the customers now, RCL and celebrity are at different levels.

But they are not forcing any of us to make the booking, Celebrity presents the product and the price, and we get to make the best decision for ourselves, pretty simple concept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I have not, but that is irrelevant to your question.  You seem to have posted and wanted ONLY people who agreed with you to reply, this is CC, not going to happen, nor should it.  We all take a few lumps on here now and again, some self inflicted, speaking for only myself!

l - you playing Russian Roulette again here on CC??? LOL

😎

bon voyage

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

l - you playing Russian Roulette again here on CC??? LOL

😎

bon voyage

LOL, trying not to my friend, been there, done that...trying to stay "under the radar" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So your new reservation has two adults under the original terms and two teens as AI.  If the original reservation didn't include bev pkg as a perk see if your TA can switch the names so teens are #'s 1& 2 and the adults are 3 & 4.  That way adults get the bev pkg.

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

LOL, trying not to my friend, been there, done that...trying to stay "under the radar" 

Anyone with more than 500 posts here cannot and will not remain under the radar.... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, coaster said:

Booked a cruise on Constellation out of Tampa for last November which didn't happen. Lifted and shifted to Reflection as there were no cruises out of Tampa for 7 nights around the same dates. Called today to try to add 3rd and 4th passengers to our modest cabin with a window. Teenagers who can't drink. Quoted a price at over a thousand dollars for each. Insane! Cancelled our cruise all together. What is going on with Celebrity?

As mentioned in a few posts the financial paradigm has shifted, and all cruise lines are trying not to leave any $$ on the table.  They will continue to push the envelope and price their product until they see push back and then back off a little themselves.  Given the massive debt load cruise lines have had to assume to manage their way through the pandemic, there are probably some significant debt covenants attached to loans that they need to satisfy.  As well as the unknown as to how the resumption of sailing will unfold.  Yes prices are higher.

Since we only sail as a couple, and there have only been 2 exceptions once in 2015 and the other upcoming in 2020 where we sail with a third person, I was curious as to the actual difference in pricing.

Comparison is done on S1.  In 2015 the third person fare was 38% of primary.  Do not believe at that time suites were including the three perks- I can't remember.  For our upcoming 2020 the third person pricing is just above 50% of primary fare, this does include the perks prior to the new AI.  I added the third person back in November. at the prevailing rates; however, the original booking fare was not amended for the original booking, and since the original was booked onboard, they honoured the lower deposit.  To compare to the current AI pricing, the third person ratio is essentially the same at a shade over 50%.  So on this example yes the extra person pricing has increased from about 38% of full fare to 50%.

I did price out an Oceanview and the prices for the third and fourth passenger was ??? the third person pricing was 75% of the first person, and number four was 83%.....

Increasing the revenue per person is absolutely necessary if they are going to have to sail at reduced capacity, it didn't matter as much; now it does, because the revenue on two people in two rooms or 4 people in one room needs to hit the bottom line at the same amount.

15 hours ago, coaster said:

Quoted a price at over a thousand dollars for each. Insane! Cancelled our cruise all together. What is going on with Celebrity?

coaster:

I'm not surprised. We're a family of 4, and one of the reason why we shy away from Celebrity when traveling as a family is exactly because their 3rd/4th fare are consistently considerably more than other cruise lines. This is not new. From my experience, it's how their pricing structure works. There are times when booking two cabins is just as much as booking one cabin for 4. 

We've had luck finding cruises that offer "3rd/4th sail for free" promotions on cruise lines like Holland America and MSC. I was actually surprised that Holland America offers these promotions since they cater heavily to an adult (senior) clientele. But they still offered plenty to keep my kids entertained. We loved sailing on them as a family. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

So your new reservation has two adults under the original terms and two teens as AI.  If the original reservation didn't include bev pkg as a perk see if your TA can switch the names so teens are #'s 1& 2 and the adults are 3 & 4.  That way adults get the bev pkg.

I thought OP said they cancelled the booking.

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It was the L&S reservation that the OP cancelled when faced with the higher than expected price of adding the teenagers.

So is he booked or not?

Once you lift and shift I thought that was the end...unless they cancel you and offer same option,.. 

hoping our Jan 2022 cruise can go ahead so we do not have to deal with this again!

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

coaster:

I'm not surprised. We're a family of 4, and one of the reason why we shy away from Celebrity when traveling as a family is exactly because their 3rd/4th fare are consistently considerably more than other cruise lines. This is not new. From my experience, it's how their pricing structure works. There are times when booking two cabins is just as much as booking one cabin for 4. 

We've had luck finding cruises that offer "3rd/4th sail for free" promotions on cruise lines like Holland America and MSC. I was actually surprised that Holland America offers these promotions since they cater heavily to an adult (senior) clientele. But they still offered plenty to keep my kids entertained. We loved sailing on them as a family. 

last year I got the 50% off 3rd and 4th. Celebrity does not offer that anymore. I guess these promotions will resume once FCC are all used and we are truly back to normal.

1 minute ago, hcat said:

So is he booked or not?

Once you lift and shift I thought that was the end...unless they cancel you and offer same option,.. 

hoping our Jan 2022 cruise can go ahead so we do not have to deal with this again!

Once you have done an L&S, you still can cancel if you so choose. That's what the OP did when adding the teens was judged too expensive.

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

So is he booked or not?

I did cancel. I had booked when there was a reduced deposit of $25 per person, so I was ok to lose that amount. Think they said it was being credited as FCC. Doesn't really matter as the amount is so low. Found a cruise on Royal for 5 nights this November out of Tampa on Brilliance. $218 pp for each third and fourth.

Was looking forward to trying Celebrity again after not sailing with them since 2002 on Zenith.  Oh well, I am glad I found an alternative at a price I can stomach.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fouremco said:

Once you have done an L&S, you still can cancel if you so choose. That's what the OP did when adding the teens was judged too expensive.

Ah  i did not know that... With our lift and shift , we  got a great  price for an entry level  suite with full perks on Ref, a much newer ship than Connie  orig booking. Would hate to lose this booking!

Personally .. we would find 4 in a cabin  a bit crowded esp with no balcony and 1 bathroom,  limited closet/ drawer space... Maybe they should have priced a small suite...?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coaster said:

I did cancel. I had booked when there was a reduced deposit of $25 per person, so I was ok to lose that amount. Think they said it was being credited as FCC. Doesn't really matter as the amount is so low. Found a cruise on Royal for 5 nights this November out of Tampa on Brilliance. $218 each for each third and fourth.

Was looking forward to trying Celebrity again after not sailing with them since 2002 on Zenith.  Oh well, I am glad I found an alternative at a price I can stomach.

Glad you did well with an alternative.  We enjoyed Brilliance as did  dd and sil.  We hope to cruise out of Tampa....eventually.   so much to do there pre or post cruuse

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

Glad you did well with an alternative.  We enjoyed Brilliance as did  dd and sil.  We hope to cruise out of Tampa....eventually.   so much to do there pre or post cruuse

Thank you. I have done a 5 nighter on Radiance years ago out of Tampa and loved all the glass windows that this class of ships have. Hope you make it here someday. I have found the port workers in Tampa and Port Canaveral to be so friendly compared to the other Florida ports.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

coaster:

Have sailed HAL in the past mainly for that reason. We have been to take my nephew a couple of times as the third and fourth rates were good. We are now taking his younger sisters with us in November to share the cruising experience with them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coaster said:

I did cancel. I had booked when there was a reduced deposit of $25 per person, so I was ok to lose that amount. Think they said it was being credited as FCC. Doesn't really matter as the amount is so low. Found a cruise on Royal for 5 nights this November out of Tampa on Brilliance. $218 pp for each third and fourth.

glad you found something that worked for you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Found a cruise on Royal for 5 nights this November out of Tampa on Brilliance. $218 pp for each third and fourth.

That's great! you already sound happier and I think your teenagers will be much happier too on Royal.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, coaster said:

You ever book a third and fourth passenger in the same cabin before? Tell me if you did and what you paid.

Sometimes I've found it cheaper to book the 3rd and 4th passengers their own cabin. More room too.

4 hours ago, coaster said:

Thank you. I have done a 5 nighter on Radiance years ago out of Tampa and loved all the glass windows that this class of ships have. Hope you make it here someday. I have found the port workers in Tampa and Port Canaveral to be so friendly compared to the other Florida ports.

We  enjoyed the  Radiance on Mex Riviera cruise.. Radiance Class are .great ships..hopefully kept up to date.  Even though we can drive to Tampa from our  place in Fl, we would  hope to visit a few nights to take in  the aquarium, Bush Gardens or Tampa Zoo, restaurants and maybe  a few museums in St  petersburg along the way!  If cruising opens we may get that chance! 5 days  would be perfect combined withe a Tampa visit

Enjoy your cruise...hope it goes!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, coaster said:

Lots of folks here who just want adult only cruises. Will see how that works out for Celebrity in the long run. Don't think it is sustainable.

Have been on some 30 Celebrity cruises.  Those to Alaska usually had a few (under 10 children).  A week long Caribbean cruise maybe 20.  Cruises that were longer including TAs never more than a handful.

Suggesting Celebrity or posters here "hate" children is unfair at best.  Really simple that the RCI brand has Royal Caribbean with lots of children.  Celebrity with few and the more upscale brands almost none.  Actually successful.

PS I like children.  Miss the classroom and enjoy my 5 grandsons.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, pl281 said:

@coaster

Generally speaking the 3rd & 4th passenages are at 50% of the pp rate - On the cruise we have booked for December 22 for a 15 night holiday sailing in a suite it is 80% of the pp rate (for a 9 year old)

We've taken our son on 4 or 5 Celebrity Cruises and it has always been in that price range. I can't speak to other lines but I believe that it is fairly standard for that amount.

As others have said it may have something to do with the current rate for the cabin as a new booking to add the additional passenger(s) - I'm not sure we've always booked the cabin as 3 people to start with vs adding a person.

The only advise I can offer is if you decide to book it - watch for any specials Celebrity might run and then call about getting re-priced

If you are talking about the holiday Panama Canal sailing, I did notice that the 3rd/4th passenger fare was extremely, eye-popping high.  $5,300 pp for 1st/2nd in a veranda cabin and $4,400 pp for 3rd/4th!

After having taken my family of four on 14 Celebrity cruises including several holiday sailings (all in one cabin), I had never seen anything like it!

I don’t think X is really interested in being the family cruise line, that’s Royal’s thing.  They do have a very good kids program, but it is more educational vs water sports/ games.   They aren’t shutting that door but that isn’t the target market. 

Royal is for the family with younger kids.  Celebrity is good for  couples traveling with no kids or families going to Europe, Asia, etc as a learning experience. Pre Sale Azamara was for adults (nothing for kids) who wanted a more port intensive cruise and Silver Seas is the luxury adult line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2