vaccine required?

delliemd

3 hours ago, caribill said:

If I remember correctly, that is just for passengers. Crew does not have to be vaccinated.

Correct. None vaccinated crew wouldn't worry me though. At my age I have the same chance of dying from Covid as falling out of my bed in the morning apparently!

I would like to see crew vaccinated first and foremost to protect those hardworking folks. Second, so that breakouts among the crew do not cause quarantines, stoppage of voyages, or delays of some sort that could end up in further upheavals and cancellations and false starts.  And third, so that caring for dozens of sick crew members in some instances does not cause financial issues that both increase the likelihood of increased costs passed on to the consumer and decrease the level of service available going forward. Again, most important is getting the crew protected from illness as those folks are likely to have repeated exposure.

Edited by medsed
  • Like 6

On 3/17/2021 at 5:52 AM, USCcruisecrazy said:

Not sure your number is very accurate.  The death rate in the USA without the vaccine stands at 1.8%, so I can't see your odds of death being the same (or a bit higher) after receiving the vaccination.  

2 completely different scenarios. One with vaccine and one without. The vaccine will provide 98% chance of recovery if contracted covid 19. That's it. You can add whatever you want but that's the reason for vaccine  to survive.

2 minutes ago, Fat Albert said:

2 completely different scenarios. One with vaccine and one without. The vaccine will provide 98% chance of recovery if contracted covid 19. That's it. You can add whatever you want but that's the reason for vaccine  to survive.

Yes, I understand that the reason you take the vaccine is because if you catch the virus your chances of surviving are greatly increased...in fact may be asymptomatic for most people.  But, you stated you have a 98% chance to survive if you've had the vaccine.  In reality, you have a 98.2% chance to survive without the vaccine based on the death rate.  Your chance of survival with the vaccine is much greater than that.  I would venture to say you have perhaps .5% or less chance to die with the vaccine. 

I think we agree that the vaccine is a benefit because it helps prevent death.  I was just questioning the actual numbers being better than you stated. 

On 3/17/2021 at 8:21 AM, Fat Albert said:

Everyone vaccinated can still get covid.The immunization is to allow your body to  build up a resistance level of protection from death. The vaccine will provide 98% chance of survival if you get covid. 

EVERYONE can still get covid, even when vaccinated??
On what data, reports, or studies are you basing this statement? 

34 minutes ago, D C said:

EVERYONE can still get covid, even when vaccinated??
On what data, reports, or studies are you basing this statement? 

CDC the vaccine does not kill or destroy the virus. It trains your body to fight the virus and for healthy bodies you will not get sick.

• Like 1

People, if there is any crew onboard that isn't vaccinated and comes down hard with covid, you will have a drifting ship without a port to dock in (remember just a year ago?). That isn't going to work this time so either the crew gets vaccinated (cheapest and best) or arrange with governments of all ports to have a covid medical evacuation plan (by far the most expensive and difficult). I can't think of any other alternatives??? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

People, if there is any crew onboard that isn't vaccinated and comes down hard with covid, you will have a drifting ship without a port to dock in (remember just a year ago?). That isn't going to work this time so either the crew gets vaccinated (cheapest and best) or arrange with governments of all ports to have a covid medical evacuation plan (by far the most expensive and difficult). I can't think of any other alternatives??? 

The medical and public health community's understanding of the virus is orders of magnitude better than it was a year ago when the lack of knowledge caused ships to be searching for a port. I personally don't think that today, a ship with a COVID-19 case on board will be cause for ships to be locked out of ports. There are now well-tested protocols in place to handle sick passengers.

That said, I do agree it's better to get the crew vaccinated as well as the passengers.

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Yes, I understand that the reason you take the vaccine is because if you catch the virus your chances of surviving are greatly increased...in fact may be asymptomatic for most people.  But, you stated you have a 98% chance to survive if you've had the vaccine.  In reality, you have a 98.2% chance to survive without the vaccine based on the death rate.  Your chance of survival with the vaccine is much greater than that.  I would venture to say you have perhaps .5% or less chance to die with the vaccine. 

I think we agree that the vaccine is a benefit because it helps prevent death.  I was just questioning the actual numbers being better than you stated. 

It is not only for surviving, it also protects against getting ill to the point of needing to be hospitalized.

I think the initial question of this thread is not whether the vaccine is effective but whether it will be required. From the preceding discussions I conclude that although the vaccine is not 100% guaranteed to either prevent you from contracting covid 19 or transmitting it, you and anyone you come in contact with are better protected with it than without it. What in life is 100% guaranteed? Almost daily more cruise lines are coming forward with an announcement that the vaccination will be required when they resume operations. The question of whether vaccination for the crew will be available is a good one. We are booked on a Mississippi River cruise in August with American Queen Steamboat Company. As of July 1 they require all crew and passengers to present proof of vaccination and their website has posted this in their Q&A:

1. "How can you be sure that every crew member will be vaccinated before July 1?

Per the CDC recommendations, Phase 1c vaccination rollout includes maritime transportation workers. We have no reason to believe that they will not have access to both doses of the vaccine by that time."

In the US many states are now or will soon be in Phase 1c. However, will the foreign crew  have access through this directive? The cruise lines that have mandated the vaccine must have reason to believe it is possible by the time they resume cruising.

1 hour ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I think the initial question of this thread is not whether the vaccine is effective but whether it will be required. From the preceding discussions I conclude that although the vaccine is not 100% guaranteed to either prevent you from contracting covid 19 or transmitting it, you and anyone you come in contact with are better protected with it than without it. What in life is 100% guaranteed? Almost daily more cruise lines are coming forward with an announcement that the vaccination will be required when they resume operations. The question of whether vaccination for the crew will be available is a good one. We are booked on a Mississippi River cruise in August with American Queen Steamboat Company. As of July 1 they require all crew and passengers to present proof of vaccination and their website has posted this in their Q&A:

1. "How can you be sure that every crew member will be vaccinated before July 1?

Per the CDC recommendations, Phase 1c vaccination rollout includes maritime transportation workers. We have no reason to believe that they will not have access to both doses of the vaccine by that time."

In the US many states are now or will soon be in Phase 1c. However, will the foreign crew  have access through this directive? The cruise lines that have mandated the vaccine must have reason to believe it is possible by the time they resume cruising.

By all accounts, the US will have an absolute glut of covid vaccines by June.  

There should be no reason why anyone wanting to have a vaccine won't have one by July. 

6 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Just kind of out of the blue here, but if everyone is vaccinated, it seems you're more likely to get Norovirus than COVID-19 ... and people do die from that too.

let’s hope hand washing etc will continue. Some of the measures taken by some of us in the past year  have kept us healthy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Just kind of out of the blue here, but if everyone is vaccinated, it seems you're more likely to get Norovirus than COVID-19 ... and people do die from that too.

Considering masks will most likely need to be worn in many common areas, I'n not concerned.

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Nothing different than cruising was pre-2020.

11 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Considering masks will most likely need to be worn in many common areas, I'n not concerned.

If vaccines actually are required to cruise, and the CDC says vaccinated people need not wear masks in the company of each other, then pray tell why masks would possibly be required anywhere on a ship. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

With American Queen Steamboat Company operating in USA waters, it must have an American crew.

4 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Surely Norovirus is normally transmitted through surface contact?  Not sure why mask wearing would have any bearing on reducing outbreaks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, D C said:

By all accounts, the US will have an absolute glut of covid vaccines by June.  

There should be no reason why anyone wanting to have a vaccine won't have one by July. 

And if we all  get vaccinated and continue to wear two masks, by July 4 we can gather in our backyards for a cookout.  That's the latest guidance from POTUS.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Surely Norovirus is normally transmitted through surface contact?  Not sure why mask wearing would have any bearing on reducing outbreaks.

May help people keep their fingers out of their mouths and noses.

• Like 3

I recall reading on several threads in prior years where posters were giving all kinds of reasons why they don't wash their hands before entering the buffet.  These people are allegedly adults complaining about washing their hands.  I wonder how many of the anti hand washing crowd are also in the anti vax crowd too.  Part of the Noro Virus problem was that the cruise lines were reluctant to enforce their own health rules.  No washy, washy - no eat at buffet, period.  I suspect the cruise lines will be much more attentive to all of their health rules going forward.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I recall reading on several threads in prior years where posters were giving all kinds of reasons why they don't wash their hands before entering the buffet.  These people are allegedly adults complaining about washing their hands.  I wonder how many of the anti hand washing crowd are also in the anti vax crowd too.  Part of the Noro Virus problem was that the cruise lines were reluctant to enforce their own health rules.  No washy, washy - no eat at buffet, period.  I suspect the cruise lines will be much more attentive to all of their health rules going forward.

I'd bet willing to bet that the staff won't be "cleaning" off the buffet tables with a used cloth napkin and then resetting the tables with juice glasses and coffee mugs placed upside down on the "clean" table.  I have complained about that practice on cruises for years.

We used to get sidelong glances from other passengers for carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer and using it after we have finished touching the buffet ladles, the chairs, etc and just before we eat.

It'll be a new cruising experience with everything "Sanitized For Your Protection" 

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

May help people keep their fingers out of their mouths and noses.

Very true, but unfortunately people tend to touch other "lower" parts of their bodies, and then don't wash their hands. 

• Like 1