Cunard cancellations update 11th March

Stu UK

I am very sorry for all of you with these recent cancellations.  We too have experienced multiple cancellations during 2020 and the deep disappointment is still with me.  We are booked on the QM2 for a Dec. 3 NY departure, after the still-scheduled Caribbean trip.  Sadly I am not optimistic,

58 minutes ago, philsuarez said:

Here in UK the resumption date is 17/05/21 although Cunard are saying it will be weeks after this due to repositioning and getting crew onboard. You'd think they have enough notice now to be ready for late May?

Dont forget majority of staff are from Far East and will not have ben vaccinated also getting ships sea ready as well as staff trained especially if new staff takes time. Also the ships might have to undergo some sort of safety inspection. I dont think its unrealistic and even though government has given approval from May 17th it is not set in stone and if the 4 steps set out by government change that date could be pushed back.

7 hours ago, Ray66 said:

For Queen Mary 2 there are a number of factors affecting her current programme and after careful consideration, we are cancelling all departures up to and including 12 November this year.

4 hours ago, FennoExpress said:

Could this mean that she will be dry-docked before re-entry to service?

The last I heard (in a webcast last August), QM2's previously-planned November 2020 drydock was being moved out to "fall or maybe November 2021". Now a lot has happened since August, but it would seem reasonable that a QM2 drydock prior to a November restart is a distinct possibility.

Since it will be five years since QM2's last drydock during her remastering in June 2016, she may be required to undergo a drydock before resuming service in November. @chengkp75 may be able to offer his expertise about whether that's the case.

After much consideration, I transferred my 2021 QM2 a few weeks' ago - mainly because I wanted to transfer to a specific cabin for 2022, but with the knowledge I would lose the extra 25% FCC by instigating the process myself.   I'm still glad I made the decision, and may look at a short coastal float late summer on either QE, P&O or Princess.

Like everyone else, disappointed and sad for all associated with Cunard, but for the wonderful QM2 in particular.

9 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

This makes seven cancellations thus far (8, if you count these 2 one-way bookings separately) but this one is the first that has really affected me.

I've re-re-re-rebooked for an Eastbound crossing on Dec 3, PG.
I will NOT be dissuaded!

• Like 4

There was no surprise that our Quebec - NY voyage of 8 Oct. was cancelled. It had been removed from the booking site several weeks ago.

One concern I had was the future cruise deposit which had been accepted as full deposit. This was set to expire the day after this voyage was due to commence. Our TA re-booked us on the equivalent voyage for next year and Cunard extended the validity of this FCD. Although the FCD is fully refundable,  it was a better deal for us to let it be extended and keep the OBC that comes with it.

The fare for next year is slightly higher than it was for this year, but there was extra OBC for booking early so I am not complaining.

15 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

We're booked on that trip, too.  I had been holding my breath, because I was afraid that when the next batch of cruises got cancelled Cunard would just drop everything in 2021.  That they've only cancelled through mid-November (for the QM2) is a hopeful sign.  And, because at least one ship will be doing round-UK cruises, they'll have had some experience in re-crewing and getting restarted. Bot of which bode well for us.

Both of us just got our first shots, which makes  me even more optimistic.

P.S.  If that trip does go, it's going to be the Roaring Twenties all over again. I can't wait.

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

I will NOT be dissuaded!

Good for you Mark. I found out officially today that my 22July 2021 was canceled. I only had the original $300 credit as they move the final payment date to 22 June. I called my gem of a T/A and with an offer. If the would move all of my OBC (and it was a chunk of cash) from this year to my August next year, I would pay in full today. They agreed, so they are happy, I am happy. Gee, only 16 months to go. 

• Like 1

I am booked on the QM2 for 3 Jan 2022. I've heard about the cancellations by Cunard through November.  I really dont have much hope for 6 weeks later.  I read all the options people have but everytime it says anything about refund or FCC it adds " does not apply to nonrefundable deposits".  That would be me. We're not talking about a lot of money ($214)  but if Cunard cancels this voyage does that mean I lose my deposit?  I understand that if I cancel for any reason (Covid included) I lose it. Is it the same the other way around?  If so, that is ludicrous.   Also, they said something like expect occupancy to be way down on the first few voyages after resuming our schedule.  Does that mean some people will be bumped?  Or have they held back taking reservations in anticipation of this modification due to Covid?   

@Smitheroo, I think I'm going to need some help on where you are seeing that refunds or FCC issued for voyages cancelled by Cunard does not apply to non-refundable deposits. I'm probably not looking in the right places, but the only context where I've been able to find that restriction mentioned on the Cunard US website is under their "Flexible transfer policy" where it states:

Flexible transfer policy.
Before your balance due date, you can transfer your booking as many times as you like^, to a wider range of voyages, free of charge.

^Does not apply to non-refundable deposits.

Just been informed by Cunard that our 14th June '21 cruise out of Southampton has now been cancelled. Our deposit of £345 (for two people) has been increased by 25% to £431 as a FCC.

The June cruise was a good price at Approx £1000 per person over 10 days for a balcony or £100 pp per day. I wouldn't be surprised if the coming round-britain summer cruises are reduced to 7 days but still charged at £1000 pp. 

This would be an increase of 40% for a balcony cabin for two. This is what happened to our P&O Aug '21 Arcadia 23 day cruise, when it got reduced to 14 days in '22. There is an increase of 40%.

Obviously new covid regs, plus reduced cabin capacity and the increase in demand for balconies, may be one of the reasons for this increase. I'll wait for the round britain prices and update this post.

19 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

if Cunard cancels this voyage does that mean I lose my deposit

No, it's always been my understanding that if Cunard cancels, you'll have the option of a refund or a credit to be applied to a future trip. And, usually, the credit is for 125% of your deposit rather than 100%.

1 hour ago, ighten said:

How long does it normally take for the 125% to appear on your account?

Hopefully things will go much more quickly this time around since the processes ought to be better automated by now. But here's what I can report from one of the early rounds of cancellations last year. It took much longer than I would have expected for our FCC to be applied to our accounts after Cunard cancelled our voyage last April.

Voyage departure date: June 14, 2020 (QM2 voyage M018A)

Voyage cancelled by Cunard: April 23, 2020

FCC applied to our account: September 28, 2020

That took over 5 months for the FCC to appear on our accounts last year. Hopefully someone whose voyage was included in one of the more recent rounds of cancellations can report a much quicker timeframe for the receipt of their FCC.

53 minutes ago, schattenfell71 said:

Where can I see my FCC?

In theory, your FCC amount should appear on the Cunard website in the banner at the top of the voyage search results after you log in to your "My Account" via the "Login" link on the Cunard website and then perform a voyage search.

@Host Hattie has verified that's how it works on the Cunard UK website. I don't have any FCC, so I'm waiting to hear from anyone else in the US if that functionality is working now on the Cunard US website. Since you are in Germany, perhaps you will be able to verify if that functionality is working on the Cunard Germany website (assuming you have been issued FCC).

On 3/13/2021 at 9:42 AM, bluemarble said:

@Smitheroo, I think I'm going to need some help on where you are seeing that refunds or FCC issued for voyages cancelled by Cunard does not apply to non-refundable deposits.

I'm not sure. I saw the *does not apply to nonrefundable deposits in many places and was having trouble following.  Which is why I asked. I didnt think I would lose my deposit from a cancellation by Cunard but wanted to be sure. 

Paid in full for 16 June, no. Chance to rebooked til ????? . RQ full refund: very sad. Despite our progress, it’s clear that Europe isn’t ready for us vaccinated....and my destination, France, is averaging 30,000 cases a day.

If the westbound Dec Sailing goes, we’ll sign up anew.sad.

11 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I'm not sure. I saw the *does not apply to nonrefundable deposits in many places and was having trouble following.  Which is why I asked. I didnt think I would lose my deposit from a cancellation by Cunard but wanted to be sure. 

Just to recap, 4 days ago Cunard wrote to cancel our Q123N 14th June '21 cruise on QE.

We were offered 125% of all monies paid as a FCC valid it end of December or a 100% refund  now.

For what it's worth: I just logged in and started a search. This message appeared at the top of the screen:

"If you are expecting to see Future Cruise Credit (FCC) associated with your account and, once you've selected your desired stateroom, none has been applied, please call Cunard Customer Service at (800) 728-6273."

I'm in the US. And I'm not planning any real voyages beyond the one I've got (re)booked, so I didn't look further. I earlier confirmed by phone that the FCC from a cancelled voyage had been applied to the rebooked one.

4 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

For what it's worth: I just logged in and started a search. This message appeared at the top of the screen:

"If you are expecting to see Future Cruise Credit (FCC) associated with your account and, once you've selected your desired stateroom, none has been applied, please call Cunard Customer Service at (800) 728-6273."

I'm in the US. And I'm not planning any real voyages beyond the one I've got (re)booked, so I didn't look further. I earlier confirmed by phone that the FCC from a cancelled voyage had been applied to the rebooked one.

Yes indeed, that is the voyage search banner message I would expect to see for someone who either has not yet received their FCC, or in your case someone who has applied their FCC to another booking.

Is anyone in North America seeing a voyage search banner message such as the following, indicating they have FCC to use?

"Good news John you can use your Cruise Credit of $1234.56 against hundreds of cruises. Don't forget to book by 31 Dec 2021. Details about your Cruise Credit can be found here".

This is based on what Host Hattie reported she was seeing in the UK after she logged in and started a voyage search.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Yes indeed, that is the voyage search banner message I would expect to see for someone who either has not yet received their FCC, or in your case someone who has applied their FCC to another booking.

Is anyone in North America seeing a voyage search banner message such as the following, indicating they have FCC to use?

"Good news John you can use your Cruise Credit of $1234.56 against hundreds of cruises. Don't forget to book by 31 Dec 2021. Details about your Cruise Credit can be found here".

This is based on what Host Hattie reported she was seeing in the UK after she logged in and started a voyage search.

I'll wait a bit for the dust to settle - but I will check with $UNNAMED_TRAVEL_AGENT next week to verify that my 125% deposit was applied to my balance [plenty of time, final payment date is in May 2022].