Typical Sydney hotels

lovetocruise1953

Are you asking about booking the hotel package through the cruise line? 

To be honest any answers here are subject to change from what they were pre-pandemic.  When we went to Sydney in 2018 we stayed at the Sydney Harbour Marriott.   Not through the cruise line. Very very nice and very close to the area the ship docks, the restaurants and Opera House and Ferry lines.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sydmc-sydney-harbour-marriott-hotel-at-circular-quay/

1 minute ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

The hotel will be one supplied by Celebrity as it is in the package, so I just wondered which ones they used.

OK.  Maybe post this question on the Australia board too?

25 minutes ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

As our trip isn't till Feb 2023 I obviously can't access any information on it. We have 3 nights in Sydney pre cruise, what hotels do they usually allocate for this type of stay?

What actually happened

They gave us Sydney Harbour Marriott cheapest rooms (X deal with Marriott is for deals on junk view rooms).  Not the greatest choice.

On booking asked X to arrange for an upgrade to OH Executive.  Confirmed, but X don’t send your details for a booking until 3/6 weeks prior to arrival. By then all best rooms had gone leaving junk views only.

Interesting the junk view rooms were available to book direct at half the X rates.

X comment was refer one to T&C’s quoting the mantra “subject to availability”.

So if you want a decent view, book direct and take a taxi. Don’t rely on X to be kind to you.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for the Sydney Harbor Marriott.  Very convenient location.  You can literally walk from there to the ship.  We did that with two large (26") suitcases and 2 roll-on size suitcases.  Also, lots of good shopping/dining in the area.  A short walk to Circular Cay for boat excuser ions around Sydney harbor.  Close to Botanical Gardens and the Opera House.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Expect Celebrity to be cutting deals with hotels, so if you get Marriott you might be lucky. There are lots of worse hotels out there and they may be offering celebrity discounts that would be too good for the cruise line to turn down.

If you are doing the City Stay through Celebrity, the hotel is identified on the Celebrity site as the Sydney Harbor Marriott. We did this a few years ago while they were transitioning partner hotels. They put us in a nice room at the Four Seasons. We woke up on departure day with a view of the Solstice and Opera House from our room. I expect they would put you in a nice room at an excellent hotel. However, our City Stay was over New Year's and Celebrity made absolutely no provision for this event in Sydney! We made our own arrangements to observe the spectacular celebration in the harbo(u)r. The City Stay program was otherwise very good. Not cheap but very enjoyable. For the days before and after the cruise, we chose the Pier One Sydney Harbour and would do so again.

IMG_1360.JPG

On 3/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, lovetocruise1953 said:

As our trip isn't till Feb 2023 I obviously can't access any information on it. We have 3 nights in Sydney pre cruise, what hotels do they usually allocate for this type of stay?

Hi lovetocruise,

We have stayed in Sydney pre and post cruise on a couple of occasions and on both chosen and priced hotel rooms carefully. We did want a view and were willing to pay a bit more for the privilege...Sydney isn’t exactly around the corner so we wanted to make the most of every minute. We did look at Celebrity’s options but decided we wanted more flexibility and choice and found that we could get a much better room for not that much more extra cost.

First time we booked the Intercontinental and upgraded to a suite room with a harbour view. The Intercontinental is set back a bit but the views are still wonderful. Included breakfast and evening snacks and cocktails in the concierge lounge took the edge off the price. The lounge offered great evening views.

Second time we booked the Pullman Quay in Sydney harbour. These are apartment style rooms with full kitchen (including washer and dryer) and balcony with table and seating overlooking the harbour. We loved the flexibility of being able to eat and drink on our own balcony, great in an evening if you have had a busy day. Lots of restaurants nearby but we realised that few restaurants had views quite as spectacular as from our own balcony. Buskers on the quayside provided evening entertainment as we watched the ferries pass by....steps away from the opera house, ferries and buses. As this was our second visit we had more time to simply enjoy being in Sydney and its ambiance rather than rushing around trying to do everything. 

I recount our experiences not in any way to detract from the Marriott which is well respected but to simply add that for most of us who come from the U.K. this is a holiday of a lifetime and by spending a bit more you can add to the pleasure of a Sydney stay with a hotel upgrade...

Whatever hotel you choose hope you have a fantastic stay in Sydney....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

Thanks all, we will look into upgrading when we know our hotel, like I said we don't go till 2023 but I do like planning.

We have been to Sydney before but didn't get to the Blue Mountains as there were fires so that is on the list...1 Day Blue Mountains Deluxe Tour $145 looking at this one.

When considering room upgrade in you hotel of choice, always go for the Club/Executive rooms, as the benefits are worth the little extra money.  And if not already a member, join the hotel loyalty scheme prior to arrival. 

Loads of great hotels in Sydney and many very close or on Circular Quay - The transport hub of Sydney and one of the two cruise terminals.  A quick glance at Celebrity indicates they are looking to charge significantly more than other reputable on line agencies - I think they wanted about £300 a night for an unnamed 4 star hotel.

Top of the tree - Money no object is the Park Hyatt, location is fab but the prices are extremely high - pretty much always twice the price of anything else.  The entry level rooms don't even have a view - but 90% of the other rooms do

Around the Rocks and Circular Quay 5-10 minutes walk from the port you have The Four Seasons, Shangri La, Pullman. Langham, Intercontinental (not one of my favourites), Marriott, and Sir Stamford (used to be The Ritz Carlton), to name  a few.

Slightly further a field you have a plethora of Hiltons, Sheratons, Sofitels in the CBD and Darling Harbour.  

Public transport / connectivity in Sydney is excellent - regular buses, trams, trains and ferries run pretty much everywhere regularly. 

We too will be in Sydney again in Feb 2023 for a Celebrity Cruise (all being well), we were going to book the Shangri La or Four Seasons nearer the time but may cash in some Hilton Honours points as we have about a Million and the Hilton in Sydney usually has a good exchange rate.

• Thanks 1

As others have said there are many nice hotels by the cruise port where you can book whichever hotel you want and drag your bags or get a very short taxi ride over.

As for the blue mountains we rented a car and drove over.  It is definitely worth seeing.  If you have not been to Manly beach it is also a short boat ride over.

when we were last in Sydney prior to a cruise, we stayed at the Sydney Harbour Marriot for several days.

We took the train out to the Blue Mountains and then used the HoHo bus to get around the area.  We did some hiking, had a meal & a snack, and stopped in a few museums.  It was a wonderful day, not very expensive, and very easy to get around.

The hotels mentioned on here are all ok but having lived in Sydney for 30 years I now always stay at Rydges Circular Quay if departing on a cruise. Probably the closest hotel to the cruise terminal, a nice hotel with plenty of decent eating places close by. A flat walk to luggage drop off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, leck57 said:

Probably the closest hotel to the cruise terminal, a nice hotel with plenty of decent eating places close by.

Another good hotel in walking distance to the cruise terminal is Holiday Inn Old Sydney in the Rocks.

If you go left from the hotel's entrance, you'll go right down to the terminal without steps involved.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Another good hotel in walking distance to the cruise terminal is Holiday Inn Old Sydney in the Rocks.

If you go left from the hotel's entrance, you'll go right down to the terminal without steps involved.

This Holiday Inn is now Rydges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Our travel agent booked us the Four Seasons. We told her we wanted higher level trip all around, I mean how many times am I going to get over there? Location was spot on and truly a great hotel. Yes, it is not a cheap stay, but I think it was worth the price. Here's is a pic from our room X pulling out.

Four Seasons Room View 2020.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

Yeah, and try to get them to answer your email.  Their booking website sucks, also.  Should have stayed a Holiday Inn.

That is disappointing, but helpful, information. Thanks for saving me a bit of time by reducing the number of hotels I consider. 

3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

That is disappointing, but helpful, information. Thanks for saving me a bit of time by reducing the number of hotels I consider. 

It is.

I’ve booked the [then] Holiday Inn a year before the cruise, then monitored the rates, there were several drops along the way, and every time I emailed them directly, their reply was prompt and curteous, the drop honored.

I’ve asked also for a very early check in after the long flight, they said “mentioned” in the booking, and indeed, when we got there at 8am, a room was ready for us.

Their service was exceptional pre and during our stay.

I’ve recommended HI to friends for October 2019, same satisfaction.

I gather the change in ownership happened after this date.

A pity.

😥

• Like 1