Ending Tour in Rio de Janeiro

We are looking at a cruise tour that will end in the morning in Rio de Janeiro.  However, our flight will  not leave out till 9:30 that evening.  We will have toured Rio the previous day and gone to Sugarloaf and seen the Christ the Redeemer statue.   Any suggestions on how to fill that day?  Suggestions on companies that might do a tour and transfer to airport that afternoon?   Since we are ending the tour portion in Rio (and not the cruise), I cannot find any ship excursions that will work for us.  Thank you for any suggestions. 

Posted (edited)

Had this same situation in December 2016:  NCL cruise ended in early AM but flight back to USA not until late PM.  As this was my 2nd visit to Rio, I had already seen all the "usual" tourist sights.

I booked Julio C. from Tours By Locals.com for a $300 8 hour tour (current price is $350).  He picked me up at the cruise terminal, stored my luggage in his vehicle and we went to lots of places in Rio that were new to me.  Had a nice lunch, visited the park/forest that's within the city limits (don't recall the name), Copacabana Beach, etc. and he dropped me off at the airport in plenty of time to check-in for my flight (and, if you happen to fly 1st/Business Class, you can take a shower in the lounge and change into clothes from your carry-on).

Was my first experience with TBL and have booked many, many tours with them since.

Hope this helps you in your planning.  Bon Voyage! 

Edited by LBCABob
tried to add link to ToursbyLocals.com; worked, I think
4 hours ago, LBCABob said:

Had this same situation in December 2016:  NCL cruise ended in early AM but flight back to USA not until late PM.  As this was my 2nd visit to Rio, I had already seen all the "usual" tourist sights.

I booked Julio C. from Tours By Locals.com for a $300 8 hour tour (current price is $350).  He picked me up at the cruise terminal, stored my luggage in his vehicle and we went to lots of places in Rio that were new to me.  Had a nice lunch, visited the park/forest that's within the city limits (don't recall the name), Copacabana Beach, etc. and he dropped me off at the airport in plenty of time to check-in for my flight (and, if you happen to fly 1st/Business Class, you can take a shower in the lounge and change into clothes from your carry-on).

Was my first experience with TBL and have booked many, many tours with them since.

Hope this helps you in your planning.  Bon Voyage! 

Wonderful idea!  Thank you!

Our Oceania cruise in December 2019 ended in Rio. Same thing. Flight didn't leave till 11 pm.  We used the most  wonderful tour guide...Augusto Guimares.....he goes by TOUR GUIDE GUS if you look him up.   gusguide@hotmail.com

I had booked him for2 of us but then he mentioned there was room for another couple in his car. That was maybe $50 more. I went to our roll call and found 2 delightful  ladies travelling  together, who joined us.  

Gus picked us up with our luggage...stopped briefly to a badge where he knew they would hold our luggage (A friend probably) and we spent the day touring. Gud told us how to book our Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer tickets.  We wanted to end with a Brazilian dinner that Locals, not tourists, might go go. Ended by picking up luggage and he dropped us at airport.....note if you have any mobility  issues, ask for a wheelchair. I got talked into one and it was the best thing I did.  Very long walk to our gate. Wheelchair also got us across very long line to check our papers or whatever.

We have been in communication  with Gus several times during covid. Brazil is doing badly. All the guides can use any jobs that will come their way.

3 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Our Oceania cruise in December 2019 ended in Rio. Same thing. Flight didn't leave till 11 pm.  We used the most  wonderful tour guide...Augusto Guimares.....he goes by TOUR GUIDE GUS if you look him up.   gusguide@hotmail.com

I had booked him for2 of us but then he mentioned there was room for another couple in his car. That was maybe $50 more. I went to our roll call and found 2 delightful  ladies travelling  together, who joined us.  

Gus picked us up with our luggage...stopped briefly to a badge where he knew they would hold our luggage (A friend probably) and we spent the day touring. Gud told us how to book our Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer tickets.  We wanted to end with a Brazilian dinner that Locals, not tourists, might go go. Ended by picking up luggage and he dropped us at airport.....note if you have any mobility  issues, ask for a wheelchair. I got talked into one and it was the best thing I did.  Very long walk to our gate. Wheelchair also got us across very long line to check our papers or whatever.

We have been in communication  with Gus several times during covid. Brazil is doing badly. All the guides can use any jobs that will come their way.

Thank you!