Will X Cancel All Europe Cruises For 2021?

Aloha 1

On 3/15/2021 at 12:43 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

Is the UK allowing international cruises?  Where do you think the Reflection will sail?  Have you seen any evidence Norway, Denmark, Russia or any other countries in the region are ready to open their ports to cruise ships?

No they are not and considering extending the ban on travel for UK residents 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/21/uk-minister-hints-covid-rules-on-foreign-travel-could-extend-to-summer

• Like 1

My view is Europe 21 is gone with one possible exception.   Infinity is in the med and most of her summer cruises are 7 days round trip Italy 

Unfortunately Italy is going back into lockdown but we all know how things can change very quickly 

To bring another ship over empty makes no sense but to adapt and change infinity might just work.  

time will tell

2 hours ago, york survey said:

My view is Europe 21 is gone with one possible exception.   Infinity is in the med and most of her summer cruises are 7 days round trip Italy 

We are on the Infinity Aug. 9 from Venice to Aug. 20 to Barcelona.  11-day cruise.  Originally we were on the Connie (almost the same itin but 10 days) Oct. 2020 and Oct. 2021.  Both were canceled by X so we opted for this Aug. 2021 cruise.  Hopefully, this Aug. 2021 cruise will be canceled by X before final payment in May.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:12 AM, sandancer said:

Right now the UK is not allowing any cruising at all. Or any other international travel. Even domestic travel is strictly for essential journeys. Mid May this situation will reviewed and I sincerely hope we may at least be able to travel round the UK freely. Spain and Greece are saying they will welcome UK tourists who have been vaccinated (maybe either a negative covid test, I’m not sure) Whether this will include cruise ship passengers is yet to be seen. I have not heard anything about the other three countries you mention. I doubt they will do so for this summer season. 

The UK can resume cruising on May 17th.  MSC are first off the blocks with their Southampton cruises starting on the 20th.  
Fred Olsen, Viking, P&O and Princess have also announced UK cruises, for Brits.  Some are cruise only; some will call into UK ports only. 

I have no idea why RCI/X are taking so long to throw their hat in the ring.  

The vaccine rollout in the UK has been superb with 50% having had their first injection so far. The EU on the other hand has been pitiful, playing  political games with supplies. 
It looks like the Brits will be the only ones going on holiday this year.

Edited by little britain
  • Like 3

You are right Brits will be going on holiday this year but according to the news tonight we won’t be going anywhere abroad. Our vaccination programme is amazing but we would be reluctant to go anywhere with low vaccination rates and the threat of a third wave. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, little britain said:

The UK can resume cruising on May 17th.  MSC are first off the blocks with their Southampton cruises starting on the 20th.  
Fred Olsen, Viking, P&O and Princess have also announced UK cruises, for Brits.  Some are cruise only; some will call into UK ports only. 

The vaccine rollout in the UK has been superb with 50% having had their first injection so far. The EU on the other hand has been pitiful, playing  political games with supplies. 
It looks like the Brits will be the only ones going on holiday this year.

U.K. broke there record again yesterday with 873784 people vaccinated in just one day.

Although that figure is superb I still have grave doubts about any cruises to Mediterranean ports taking place.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

U.K. broke there record again yesterday with 873784 people vaccinated in just one day.

Although that figure is superb I still have grave doubts about any cruises to Mediterranean ports taking place.

With a few exceptions, Royal in Bahamas for one, seems that most countries (Israel, UK, Italy) will be limiting their excursions to their citizens only, which makes total sense!  Hope that they require EVERYONE to be vaccinated or not allowed on board.  Got to start somewhere and IMO opinion this seems a very positive step in the right direction.  2021 will be limited as it should, with the hopes that it will change the outlook for 2022.  Safe travels to all who are able to do so this year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

That is great, the UK is moving right along.  The USA vaccinated 3 million in one day (that was yesterday), so with 68% of all Americans 65 or older having at least one dose.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, little britain said:

I took part in a cafe royal meet hosted by Ben Boudin on Friday morning. it  was quite informative, they as others have been working with government departments & CLIA  regards 're commencing but want to carefully assess the situation before jumping. He also mentioned a possibility of X that came up as someone asked about test cruises each cruise group has to conduct one test cruise to pass all the guide lines this he said could in their case be a RC or X ship. They will operate with an all vaccinated crew as in Singapore & Israel, but do not want to operate only with vaccinated pax as that would restrict the age range possible, in RC case they do not want to exclude children.

I think they are not in a great hurry as any ship that sails ex UK between 17May and 21June may only carry 1000 pax max, he used Anthem as an example "which is in UK waters & can be turned around quite quickly"  but at that loading would mean less than 25% capacity. My guess is maybe beginning July by which time although sailing at reduced numbers it would make it more viable.

Later in the the day we then had the announcement of X out of St Martin & RC so  with the Israel commencement too they have 3 ships to return crew and more importantly organise vaccinations for.

Hope that may answer some of your questions. 

23 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are on a 10 day Infinity cruise leaving from Barcelona Sept. 9th that does Spain and Portugal, keeping our fingers crossed.

We have a b2b we would board as you disembark, Portugal round trip, 20 days. This was booked when they cancelled Connie, I’m also keeping fingers crossed!Dianne

53 minutes ago, di T said:

We have a b2b we would board as you disembark, Portugal round trip, 20 days. This was booked when they cancelled Connie, I’m also keeping fingers crossed! Dianne

My sister and BIL are getting off as we board in Barcelona they are departing from Lisbon we will be in cabin 1130. We do our best to leave the Infinity in good shape for you guys, LOL

When we get off in Lisbon we have 6 days on land in Lisbon, Rome and Athens, where we will do a 12 day HAL cruise of the Greek Islands and end up in Venice. This HAL cruise was a rebooking when our Connie Greek cruise got canceled. We will end up being gone for 32 days for these two cruises. After no traveling over a year we are ready, We had 3 cruises canceled and rebooked a couple of times since the pandemic started.

Edited by terrydtx

11 hours ago, di T said:

We have a b2b we would board as you disembark, Portugal round trip, 20 days. This was booked when they cancelled Connie, I’m also keeping fingers crossed!Dianne

We're on the Sept 29th Barcelona to Lisbon cruise if it goes & thus will see you on your return trip. We originally were on an August , 2020 cruise with same it itinerary but of course, it was cancelled. For our cruise, it will be a close call if it's not cancelled or Spain ports remain closed. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Celebrity Apex today was listed in the official 2021 cruise schedule at the port of Piraeus Athens.

From the 9th of July 2021 until early September will be homeported in Piraeus offering 7-night itineraries.

Where is this information from? The Apex is meant to be going from Barcelona in late August for 12 nights.

1 hour ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Celebrity Apex today was listed in the official 2021 cruise schedule at the port of Piraeus Athens.

From the 9th of July 2021 until early September will be homeported in Piraeus offering 7-night itineraries.

6 minutes ago, FionaL91 said:

Where is this information from? The Apex is meant to be going from Barcelona in late August for 12 nights.

And, all the cruises listed on Celebrity's web site involves Rome and/or Barcelona.  Also, the flights by Celebrity all show Barcelona and/or Rome as destinations.

I wonder if the schedule from Piraeus is an old schedule.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, 4774Papa said:

That is great, the UK is moving right along.

But, the news today is not good for Foreign holidays. I just wish Celebrity would announce their intentions:

A £5,000 fine for anyone in England trying to travel abroad without good reason is due to come into force next week as part of new coronavirus laws.

The penalty is included in legislation that will be voted on by MPs on Thursday. 

Foreign holidays are currently not allowed under the "stay at home" rule which ends on Monday.

From next week the ban on leaving the UK will become a specific law, backed up by the threat of the fine.

Under the current plan for easing restrictions, the earliest date people in England could go abroad for a holiday would be 17 May.

However, another surge in Covid cases in continental Europe, as well as the slow rollout of vaccines across Europe, has cast doubt on the resumption of foreign travel.”

2 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Where are you seeing this please?

www.olp.gr/cruise-greece/cruise-programme

And then bring up the latest PDF of cruise ship visits. It was uploaded today. Not easy to follow as it's in Greek but I'm sure you will work it out

• Like 1

Thank you very much, found the information.

Now the question is - when will X announce these? Hopefully before the 31st March as I was going to book a Cunard seacation to replace our cancelled TA as I have an FCC with them. 
Still could do both 😂. I cashed in all our cancelled 2020 X sailings and L&S our one for this year to 2022, so no FCCs to worry about with X.

Edited by downsmead

2 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

59 minutes ago, york survey said:

www.olp.gr/cruise-greece/cruise-programme

And then bring up the latest PDF of cruise ship visits. It was uploaded today. Not easy to follow as it's in Greek but I'm sure you will work it out

Thanks for this! We are booked on the Apex TA from Barcelona back to Ft Lauderdale leaving Oct 19. It will be interesting to see where Celebrity sends the Apex after it leaves Athens for the last time on Oct 3, if they do in fact change the existing itineraries from Barcelona to Athens this summer.