Cruises Restarting for Vaccinated Only, Will You Go...?

NavyCruiser

Definitely! BUT...what about the ports/countries visited?  Will those places accept cruisers?  What about their protocols? Will cruises only stop at ports that have vaccinated the majority of their citizens? Most Caribbean islands haven't started vaccinations yet. Europe is on it's way, but not anywhere near the numbers vaccinated in the USA. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/international

• Like 1

Only if the places the cruise visited are also mostly vaccinated and there are no limits on the cruise (i.e. masks on board, social distancing, cruise sponsored excursions, etc.). I'm not that desperate to go on a cruise. I want to, but it's not necessary.

• Like 2

Yes, definitely!  In fact, I would prefer if the cruise lines required everyone to be vaccinated against COVID.  It would make me feel more at ease knowing that everyone around me has received the most protection available.

• Like 3

Problem is, it's not known how long the vaccine is effective for.  Is it 3 months, 6 months, a year???

If it turns out to be a relatively short period of protection, that could be a problem.

Maybe offer booster shots on board the ship if less than a month left to unprotected date? 

• Like 2

As of later this afternoon, we will be the two weeks after our second Moderna vaccines. Still hesitant to cruise (even if there were any available) until what we know the experience would be like. Being able to leave the ship at the ports without having to do the cruise line bubble excursions would be a requirement for me. 

I think there is a pent up demand for the first cruises, but there are also lots of us who want to see how the experience has changed before we are ready to commit to going on a cruise.

• Like 4

Yes, assuming this would replace the current proposed guidelines for mask wearing, social distancing, etc. on the ships - those that involve what I can do and how I can do it onboard.  Daily temperature checks, limiting the number of people onboard, having the crew dish out food at the buffet and those sort of things are fine.  As far as the ports, this would be up to the individual local governments to decide and I can just adjust for each port.  My next scheduled cruise is February 2022 in the Caribbean and I have been to all these ports multiple times, so in my case an island being dropped or limited is not a big deal.  Thursday will be 2 weeks since DW and my second Pfizer shot.

• Like 1

I understand the topic is for “100% vaccinated cruises”. It seems that people are forgetting that no vaccines are yet approved for children below the age of 16 and that vaccine efficacy testing has just begun for those age groups. Since we cruise with grandchildren who are 12 and 15, I ask this question - would you cruise with children below 16 for whom no vaccine is yet available? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HamOp said:

Problem is, it's not known how long the vaccine is effective for.  Is it 3 months, 6 months, a year???

If it turns out to be a relatively short period of protection, that could be a problem.

Maybe offer booster shots on board the ship if less than a month left to unprotected date? 

Absolutely what I realised too (but do not wish to take that into account....yet). Boosters before embarkation  seems simpler. 

4 minutes ago, pschweig said:

I understand the topic is for “100% vaccinated cruises”. It seems that people are forgetting that no vaccines are yet approved for children below the age of 16 and that vaccine efficacy testing has just begun for those age groups. Since we cruise with grandchildren who are 12 and 15, I ask this question - would you cruise with children below 16 for whom no vaccine is yet available? 

You are right and I didnot forget this.  Our booking for 2022 (original booking for 2020) is with children and 2 grandchildren  who will be almost 15 and 12 1/2 years in 2022.  In my opinion I cannot do otherwise than "wait and see".

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Being able to leave the ship at the ports without having to do the cruise line bubble excursions would be a requirement for me. 

I agree. I'd go on a cruise even if masks and social distancing are required, but not being able to get off the ship to walk around or take a private tour is a deal breaker.

• Like 5

We are vaccinated and ready to go. First booked cruise is an 11-day Rotterdam cruise on Dec. 1, 2021. If we still have to wear masks by that time, so be it. Having to take ship-sponsored excursions only is okay. After 55 cruises to the Caribbean, Central and northern South America, I usually don't get off the ships anymore. DH likes to get off and walk around, but if he has to do ship-sponsored excursions to do that he's okay with it. We are hoping only vaccinated passengers are allowed to cruise when things open up again.

• Like 3

I guess that is my question - how comfortable would you be on a cruise with children below 16 who obviously have not been vaccinated? I am trying to be considerate of other passengers on the cruise.   

We have a Med cruise booked for Aug 2021 with children and grandchildren. Of course, odds are it will be cancelled!

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: I'm personally comfortable cruising right now without any kind of vaccination requirement; I'm simply not that afraid of COVID-19.  And I will *not* cruise if masks, social distancing, restrictions on dining, etc. are in place--only want to cruise if it's really close to the "old" style of cruising that we love.

But since my family will be getting vaccines once we're eligible, making that a requirement to cruise won't impact us one way or the other.  The one exception to that would be how they handle children, as we do have a 7 year-old who can't be vaccinated yet.  If they really mean everyone must be vaccinated (not just those who are eligible), then we obviously won't be cruising under those rules.

• Like 4

Here’s a quote from a recent Arnold Donald interview on vaccinations.

“The company probably won't require vaccinations against COVID-19 as a general prerequisite for boarding, he said, but may make the jab mandatory for those cruises favored by seniors.”

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/03/15/carnival-ceo-sees-2-troubled-years-coming-for-crui/?source=eptyholnk0000202&utm_source=yahoo-host&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article&yptr=yahoo