Looking for feedback on folding mobility scooters

dreamer320

I'm deciding between a standard travel scooter (disassembles in 5 parts) or a folding travel scooter. I keep coming back to the Go-Go Elite and the Go-Go folding, so it will likely between those two. I'd much rather get a folding scooter, but my main concern is that there isn't a basket, or seemingly any way to add a basket, and it doesn't seem like a seat backpack will work either. Having something for storage seems pretty important, since I'll mainly be using it just while traveling, cruise and land, and will need to keep a water bottle, small bags while shopping, etc. I don't want to burden my dh with carrying everything, since we generally split the load.

Does anyone who has a scooter similar to these two have any advice? I've been mulling so many scooters for a few months, and I really want to pull the trigger and order one now that vaccinations are near. TIA.

11 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Have you checked with any of the sellers of the Go-Go Elite and Folding?    I think you can get a basket as an add-on accessory.    But doesn't the Go-Go Elite Traveler come with a basket?

The Elite Traveler does come with a basket. The folding one does not, and doesn't even have anything available as a separate accessory. The design of the tiller doesn't make it possible to attached a generic basket, and it looks as though even attaching a bag wouldn't work terribly well, as the curve of it looks like any bag couldn't be attached tightly. I was hoping someone might have the folding Go-Go and has successfully rigged up something for storage. I've spoken with a couple of sellers and they just said there's nothing can be added. Guess I'll have to take it out of consideration. Thanks.

I have had a Travelscoot for about 5 years and purchased a basket when I bought it.   I can also put bags on the fabric on the bottom (between my feet).   I have been shopping numerous times and have carried up to about 6 bags with my purse as well.    I bring it every year to Mexico for the winter and buy lots of stuff there.   I have also used it for about 10 cruises over the years.   I highly recommend it.   

You can also fold it down quite easily and it's very sturdy.

I got my husband a lightweight Pride Gigi  folding travel scooter in February 2021. You are correct in that there is no place to attach a basket. However,  we frequently stuffed bags with things in them kind of between the battery and the seat, or set a bag on the floor of the scooter,  just in front of the seat. My husband is 6‘3“ tall and even though it isn’t a real large scooter, he Is easily able to use it and it is really pretty steady. Didn’t ever tip over on a turn or anything. It moves along somewhat like a rolling suitcase and is easy to fold and unfold. You’ve probably seen the video of them in use online. I remove the lithium battery and put it in sort of a little zipper cooler case with a shoulder strap to carry it on board a plane as the lithium battery must be stored in the cabin, The scooter itself is put in the cargo hold. When we land and they bring the scooter back,  it is easy for me to pop the battery back into the floor of the scooter. Without the battery in it, it weighs about 50 pounds and I am able to get it in and out of a car trunk. The lithium weighs 5 pounds.  It would be nice if there were some type of way a basket could be attached to put things in. However, it would add more bulk and make it less compact. Good luck with whatever you choose.

We have a Luggie foldable scooter.  We have traveled all over the world with it.  You can buy a bag that attaches under the seat.  We take our own tote bag and just put it under the seat.  My mom used this scooter on a cruise to Hawaii.  She had a portable oxygen concentrator that fit nicely under the seat.  The Luggie folds easily and weighs about 50 lbs.  I put it in and out of the car.  My husband drives it to the door of the plane, I take the battery out and fold it down, and leave it for the ramp agent.  It is a great little scooter.  My husband has carried many many packages with it.  I tease him he’s the pack mule, but he loves it and makes him feel helpful.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:24 AM, Id rather be diving said:

We have a Luggie foldable scooter.  We have traveled all over the world with it.  You can buy a bag that attaches under the seat.  We take our own tote bag and just put it under the seat.  My mom used this scooter on a cruise to Hawaii.  She had a portable oxygen concentrator that fit nicely under the seat.  The Luggie folds easily and weighs about 50 lbs.  I put it in and out of the car.  My husband drives it to the door of the plane, I take the battery out and fold it down, and leave it for the ramp agent.  It is a great little scooter.  My husband has carried many many packages with it.  I tease him he’s the pack mule, but he loves it and makes him feel helpful.

Do you carry the battery on the plane or leave it with the scooter?   (I have to take mine on the plane with me).

I take  it on the plane.  I have a fireproof bag that I purchased on Amazon that I put the battery in.  I also take a spare battery in a fireproof bag.  I have the information regarding the watts, etc from the battery company that I have laminated and carry in our medical bag.  I whip it out when we get the gate check tag from the gate agent.  I had one gate agent tell me she wished everyone carried their info like that.  It made her job much easier.  The only airline I’ve ever had problems with it is Luftansana.  Had to get a supervisor but eventually we were allowed to board.

I have the Pride Go GO Elite Traveler Plus and also the Luggie. Not sure if it's just me or I'm just used to the Pride scooter, but I like the Pride scooter better than the Luggie. I can't seem to get the opening and closing of the Luggie. Each time I go to open, then close it, I have to pull out the instructions. Maybe it comes with practice.

I've taken my Pride scooter on 7 cruises so far. I have it down to a science now. We usually book a traditional balcony cabin. I don't need a handicapped cabin as I use the cane in the cabin. I can drive into the cabin and actually turn it around for when we go to leave again. I have the 3-wheeled model. DH removes the armrests when we cruise; it's easier if the armrests are off. I was against the idea of a scooter, but it's one of the best purchases we've ever made.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:57 PM, Id rather be diving said:

I take  it on the plane.  I have a fireproof bag that I purchased on Amazon that I put the battery in.  I also take a spare battery in a fireproof bag.  I have the information regarding the watts, etc from the battery company that I have laminated and carry in our medical bag.  I whip it out when we get the gate check tag from the gate agent.  I had one gate agent tell me she wished everyone carried their info like that.  It made her job much easier.  The only airline I’ve ever had problems with it is Luftansana.  Had to get a supervisor but eventually we were allowed to board.

We have travelled extensively with the Travelscoot and the only problems we ever had was in China.    They didn't want to allow my battery but after much discussion at the airport  they did let me take it on the plane with me.

We did have some issues trying to book a flight to India because of the scooter but they did allow it after all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:38 AM, mexico8 said:

We have travelled extensively with the Travelscoot and the only problems we ever had was in China.    They didn't want to allow my battery but after much discussion at the airport  they did let me take it on the plane with me.

We did have some issues trying to book a flight to India because of the scooter but they did allow it after all.

I use a Tzora foldable scooter.  First time in China...with a different scooter, they outright told us, no scooters allowed period to the gate. Go back to airline counter.  (This is their version of TSA not the airline).  We went back....and airline said, we do this all the time.  Supervisor actually walked with us to the agent and after an heated exchange, they let us pass.   Second time, I had a Lithium batter, and a regular battery.  We checked the folding scooter at the gate.  Carried the batteries.  They did not want us to have the batteries carried.  2 hours and approvals, they finally let us go.  Airline said we were well withing the limit.

The limits are much lower in China than the rest of the world for watt hours etc. 

Good news, everyplace else was fine.  I do have a basket but we don't bring it.  A bag between the feet works just fine.  Back pack on the seat also works.   

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2021 at 12:03 PM, Joseph2017China said:

I use a Tzora foldable scooter.  First time in China...with a different scooter, they outright told us, no scooters allowed period to the gate. Go back to airline counter.  (This is their version of TSA not the airline).  We went back....and airline said, we do this all the time.  Supervisor actually walked with us to the agent and after an heated exchange, they let us pass.   Second time, I had a Lithium batter, and a regular battery.  We checked the folding scooter at the gate.  Carried the batteries.  They did not want us to have the batteries carried.  2 hours and approvals, they finally let us go.  Airline said we were well withing the limit.

The limits are much lower in China than the rest of the world for watt hours etc. 

Good news, everyplace else was fine.  I do have a basket but we don't bring it.  A bag between the feet works just fine.  Back pack on the seat also works.   

I have a Tzora Lexis Light that I have used for years.  Very happy with it and it does separate into easily manageable pieces or is foldable.  It has a carrying basket underneath and I place a backpack over the back of the seat for all the extras.  I have never exhausted the optional lithium battery in a single days use and the battery only weighs 7#.

No desire to ever go back to China, so I won't face those problems.

Definitely check out the Travel Scoot. It weighs on 34 pounds (less without the battery), goes 13 miles on a charge, and fold down to fit in a carrier the size of a golf bag.

travelscootusa.com

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 3:28 PM, kokopelli-az said:

Have you checked with any of the sellers of the Go-Go Elite and Folding?    I think you can get a basket as an add-on accessory.    But doesn't the Go-Go Elite Traveler come with a basket?

the go go elite comes with a basket you can also get a basket for in the back for about $85.  ihave a scooter and for on a cruise I take the arm rests off and leave them at home.  makes it easier to get in the doorway.  I also put a large bag on the floor of my scooter to put things in , works best if you have a 4 wheel.  measure your scooter at the bottom 2 back wheels or check your mannual for width . I have taken my 4 wheel on Holland America and Carnival ships in inside and balcony cabins and have not had a problem.  although on one cruise I removed my arm rests after I was on the ship and put them under the bed so they would be out of the way and they are probably there still today.  

• Haha 1