Virgin Voyages to require all crew, passengers to be vaccinated for COVID-19 on all cruises

70KToM

12 hours ago, thymegirl08 said:

What about those of us who have had Covid? I was not planning on getting a vaccine since I’ve already had the virus. And I have an October cruise booked (actually for the 3rd time). Thoughts?

I suspect past infection won't count for being vaccinated. Also, keep in mind, your body might not have developed the proper antibodies for the new variants. The current vaccines are designed to trigger the immune response to the part of the virus that is more stable.

• Like 3

Too many unknowns now on whether antibodies from past infection last for any length of time so health officials are recommending that even those with past COVID get vaccinated for now. As this ramps up and studies can be done I expect this could be amended. But, as always, consult YOUR physician.

• Like 1

Anyone know they will give a refund to anyone who had a deposit for a cruise based on this? I have a deposit down for a cruise in late 2021 that was transferred from a cruise I canceled previously in 2020. I have no problem getting the vaccine but would prefer to get my money back if I can use this as an excuse. 

3 hours ago, westguy99 said:

Anyone know they will give a refund to anyone who had a deposit for a cruise based on this? I have a deposit down for a cruise in late 2021 that was transferred from a cruise I canceled previously in 2020. I have no problem getting the vaccine but would prefer to get my money back if I can use this as an excuse. 

Yes they will. I was on chatting with them today and they offered refunds.

11 hours ago, drewdawg199 said:

There is no justification based on science and the data to extend it through November.....

• Like 1

The current CDC rulse prohibit cruising until November. Obvisouly VV believes it will start sooner.. With the CDC shouting doom and gloom and the end of the world, I wonder if we will see earlier cruising?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc-chief-warns-us-headed-for-impending-doom-as-covid-cases-rise-again-right-now-im-scared-.html

On 3/25/2021 at 8:19 AM, garymfreedman said:

There is no justification based on science and the data to extend it through November.....

My understanding is that CDCs current focus is framework Phase 1 requirements of testing all crew (there have been test result problems here) and setting up onboard labs as part of a step-by-step approach for the return of passenger cruising. Cruise lines have been waiting for technical instructions from CDC, which will allow them to prepare their ships for Phase 2- simulation voyages, designed to test whether they can safely sail. Miami is pushing the C.D.C. to issue missing technical requirements to help cruise lines prepare ships for sailings. They must then give the C.D.C. 30 days notice before starting test cruises with volunteer crew and passengers and will have to apply for a conditional sailing certificate 60 days before a planned regular voyage.
Show less

On 3/29/2021 at 3:56 PM, garymfreedman said:

The current CDC rulse prohibit cruising until November. Obvisouly VV believes it will start sooner.. With the CDC shouting doom and gloom and the end of the world, I wonder if we will see earlier cruising?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc-chief-warns-us-headed-for-impending-doom-as-covid-cases-rise-again-right-now-im-scared-.html

My understanding is that CDCs current focus is framework Phase 1 requirements of testing all crew (there have been test result problems here) and setting up onboard labs as part of a step-by-step approach for the return of passenger cruising. Cruise lines have been waiting for technical instructions from CDC, which will allow them to prepare their ships for Phase 2- simulation voyages, designed to test whether they can safely sail. Miami is pushing the C.D.C. to issue missing technical requirements to help cruise lines prepare ships for sailings. They must then give the C.D.C. 30 days notice before starting test cruises with volunteer crew and passengers and will have to apply for a conditional sailing certificate 60 days before a planned regular voyage.
Show less

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, garymfreedman said:

VV should have an edge in getting cruising--No kids. Everyone is 18 or older, and will have been vaccinated-  Virgin already has no buffets, is doing everything contact less, and has superior air filtration..

I tend to agree with that. Whilst I booked, it wasn't a condition for me doing so (it was to replace one just cancelled the CL didn't need require), I'm happy it is. Doesn't mean you can't catch it, but it should mean generally its less likely people will to end in a hospital or very ill. People can make an informed choice. If they have chosen to be vaccinated, they can sail, if they haven't then an alternative is needed and there will still be plenty I'm sure. i know people will be thinking they are being discriminated against. I tend to look at it in reverse. VV are reducing their client base and its them who is the ones taking the gamble and applaud the stance on safety first.

• Like 4