Jump to content

What were people really wearing on evening chic nights before Covid?


njpln
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 3/18/2021 at 4:46 PM, TeeRick said:

 

 

I guess a Goalie Mask won't count.  Too many air holes?

 

 

 

 

franklin-hockey-accessories-mini-mask-ottawa-senators.jpg

Another Senators fan ???  Now we are 3 on CC. 

Lately the air holes have been between the goalie's legs , under their arms, or in their head .

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Just wear what I want and makes me feel comfortable, don't care what anyone else thinks.  Smart casual, whatever that means to you.  To me it is no jacket, suit coat etc

 

Same here. No jacket, suit, tie or tux. The way the majority dress on evening chic evenings. On evening chic nights I wear a long sleave button shirt. On the rest of the nights the smart casual nights I wear polo shirts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there any correlation between age and how you dress?  I am in my early 50s and haven’t worn a suit in 10 years.  Worked in Silicon Valley where I only dressed up for company Christmas party.  Now work as a contractor with USPS where it is business casual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is there any correlation between age and how you dress?  I am in my early 50s and haven’t worn a suit in 10 years.  Worked in Silicon Valley where I only dressed up for company Christmas party.  Now work as a contractor with USPS where it is business casual.

Looks like we will have pre-COVID dress code and post-COVID dress code, just please ALL be respectful and color coordinate your masks with each outfit!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

In matching Scottish plaid masks I hope!

No self-respecting Scot would ever wear a plaid kilt or matching mask. They would be wearing the clan tartan.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No self-respecting Scot would ever wear a plaid kilt or matching mask. They would be wearing the clan tartan.

They would be wearing the clan tartan.  Of which there are so very many.  No disrespect to the Scots or the Irish on this....Irish American here who does not know his tartan for his plaid!!!  ☺️

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

They would be wearing the clan tartan.  Of which there are so very many.  No disrespect to the Scots or the Irish on this....Irish American here who does not know his tartan for his plaid!!!  ☺️

 

Well, you could be from one of those Gaelic clans that start in Scotland, get their name Anglicized in Ireland, and end up in the US...

 

And there are apparently 11 different tartans associated with the various Anglicizations of the clan name, and some family crests say Scotland, and others say Ireland. The actual family name is apparently from Cork, but is generally considered an alternate Anglicization. So we're special!

 

Not that I'm likely to ever wear a kilt anyway...

 

(But maybe it explains the love for Speyside, Islay, and Irish whiskies...)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, markeb said:

 

Well, you could be from one of those Gaelic clans that start in Scotland, get their name Anglicized in Ireland, and end up in the US...

 

And there are apparently 11 different tartans associated with the various Anglicizations of the clan name, and some family crests say Scotland, and others say Ireland. The actual family name is apparently from Cork, but is generally considered an alternate Anglicization. So we're special!

 

Not that I'm likely to ever wear a kilt anyway...

 

(But maybe it explains the love for Speyside, Islay, and Irish whiskies...)

 

My mother's family (MURPHY) is supposedly one of those Scotland to Ireland families.  But I don't have research to prove it.  Fathers mother was a KIRK with ancestors from County Cork.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

 

My mother's family (MURPHY) is supposedly one of those Scotland to Ireland families.  But I don't have research to prove it.  Fathers mother was a KIRK with ancestors from County Cork.

On the Irish side, O'Leary and Pierce, county Cork all the way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

One could also wear ones regimental tartan. My dad never owed a family tartan kilt (Forbes), but he did have his Black Watch from WWII. A 27" waist!

I could haul it out to wear on a cruise but would def be improper dress for a woman.

 

I'll stick with my little sparkley numbers (cocktail and long) that fit in a zip lock bag - much easier to pack and take up way less room. 

 

The above get dragged along on most cruises,  easy wear, easy pack. The other half wears a dark suit for European, etc, but is more casual in the Caribbean. Smart shirt, usually no tie, and dress pants or similar.

 

We were just debating whether or not to invest in a tux when the dress code changed, whew.

 

Cheers, h.

(Aberdonian Mancunian)

 

Edited by middlehaitch
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2021 at 6:38 PM, njpln said:

Throwing a question out there about what people actually really wear on the so-called dressing nights.   We haven’t been on Celebrity since 2018.(how time flies…).  The last time we cruised hubby wore a blazer and trousers and I wore a nice dress on the dressy nights. Our previous cruises were all in the Caribbean with Celebrity...

 

Now we have rebooked and have three Celebrity cruises scheduled in 2022.  One is a Caribbean, and two are Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific. So I’m starting to wonder whether or not people dress up differently for Caribbean cruises versus the south pacific area cruises.  
 

There are so many threads about people not dressing up too much anymore, but I’d love to hear what people really see on the evening chic nights..

 

looking forward to your replies.
 

 

 

We typically dress up a bit more on “chic” nights though not like we once did.    My husband is quite handsome in his tux but I’m not about to ask him to wear it on a Caribbean cruise or take it to the other side of the world.  He does wear a jacket and dress shirt (no tie).   I usually wear a cocktail dress but definitely not formal.   Caribbean cruises are the most casual in our experience.   Although our 16 night Australia/NZ cruise in 2019 was very casual.   My impression is most people still put a little extra thought into their attire on “chic” nights.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

They would be wearing the clan tartan.  Of which there are so very many.  No disrespect to the Scots or the Irish on this....Irish American here who does not know his tartan for his plaid!!!  ☺️

I am originally part of the dreaded Picti tribe that immigrated from Scotland to Ireland.  My preference is for the Black Watch tartan.  But when I go to war (not chic night), I dress in the traditional Picti nudist garb to my wife's embarrassment.

 

Where's @Bo when I need a wee dram of Scotch with a touch of water?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

Where's @Bo when I need a wee dram of Scotch with a touch of water?


Don’t know about Bo, but a wee dram of Balvenie 12 seemed appropriate tonight...

 

Sláinte!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one part of the question I didn't see a reply to is re: Australia/NZ cruises and attire and if they tend to be more like European (a bit more dressy) or more like Caribbean (less dressy?)

 

(btw, my hubby likes to dress up, but since, in his mind, Tux means taking patent Tux shoes, he now doesn't take a tux, but does take suits for dressy nights. We get so few opportunities these days to "dress up" (we also live in Silicon Valley), we like dressing up on a cruise.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cookiersmom said:

The one part of the question I didn't see a reply to is re: Australia/NZ cruises and attire and if they tend to be more like European (a bit more dressy) or more like Caribbean (less dressy?)

 

(btw, my hubby likes to dress up, but since, in his mind, Tux means taking patent Tux shoes, he now doesn't take a tux, but does take suits for dressy nights. We get so few opportunities these days to "dress up" (we also live in Silicon Valley), we like dressing up on a cruise.)

 

Speaking only for us no matter the itinerary, we will dress within Celebrity's published suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR and not someone's interpretation based on the itinerary.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Speaking only for us no matter the itinerary, we will dress within Celebrity's published suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR and not someone's interpretation based on the itinerary.  

I am bringing two suits with me on my next cruise, birthday suit from when I was 27 and birthday suit from now, 61, guess which one I will be wearing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Speaking only for us no matter the itinerary, we will dress within Celebrity's published suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR and not someone's interpretation based on the itinerary.  

"within" suggested is a very very broad range, as others have said.  A tux, a suit, a collared shirt are all still in the guidelines. So, still tends to vary by location.  Which "end" of the guidelines?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LGW59 said:

I am bringing two suits with me on my next cruise, birthday suit from when I was 27 and birthday suit from now, 61, guess which one I will be wearing!

I'll bet the 61 year old suit has a few more wrinkles in it. 😉

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, davekathy said:

I'll bet the 61 year old suit has a few more wrinkles in it. 😉

It sure does, but as our national treasure, Dolly Parton says, if it is bagging, sagging or dragging, get it nipped, tucked and sucked, I am following her sage advice!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cookiersmom said:

"within" suggested is a very very broad range, as others have said.  A tux, a suit, a collared shirt are all still in the guidelines. So, still tends to vary by location.  Which "end" of the guidelines?

Thank you very much. You just made my point!  No it doesn't depend on location/itinerary. Celebrity doesn't define their suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR by itinerary.  Again, we'll only go by what Celebrity publishes not yours or others interpretation. Refer to Celebrity's website for clarification. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

It sure does, but as our national treasure, Dolly Parton says, if it is bagging, sagging or dragging, get it nipped, tucked and sucked, I am following her sage advice!

We're older than you. :classic_ohmy:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thank you very much. You just made my point!  No it doesn't depend on location/itinerary. Celebrity doesn't define their suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR by itinerary.  Again, we'll only go by what Celebrity publishes not yours or others interpretation. Refer to Celebrity's website for clarification. 

Yes, I am NOT asking for the guidelines, I am asking what more/most of the rest of the passengers wear.  ALL within guidelines, just curious the "feel" of the cruise.  More casual or more dressy? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...