Who goes sailing? Thoughts on how Princess (and CCL) will decide?

PaperSniper4

I suspect that when cruising resumes, there will be limits on the number of passengers....somehow. Either by total ship, or deck, or category or something else. I have no idea how they will decide who gets to go.....does anyone have any insight on that? I booked our future cruises with the guess than "earlier booked" will have priority over "later booked". But that might not be the line's criteria. I am also assuming that cruise lines are filling ships, and not limiting future bookings. Why would they? They get a feel for the demand, which I think is high, and of course they have your deposit for a period of time. I do not fault the cruise lines for their rational since they, like us, have little idea of what is to come when cruising resumes from USA ports.

Doug

"Thoughts and insights on how Princess will decide"

I'll just be happy Princess and other Carnival brands are in business. If a cruise I want to go on is booked out, then I'll pick another. 

• Like 1

I understand the thinking behind see how many bookings a cruise line can get, but not all passengers are going to be happy with another set back.  Overall, I expect people who enjoy cruising will be excited when the news hits that lines will begin resuming sailing.  You also have many passengers who have been annoyed, insert whatever word you like, with the long delays in getting the credit or refund from their cancelled cruises.  Now, imagine how those passengers will react when the cruise line gives them the news about  being "bumped" from a particular cruise because of capacity control.  I wouldn't want to be a PVP or customer rep when the "your cabin is not active for the cruise you selected" messages start rolling out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Believe if there are capacity limits it would be first booked, first choice. But no one really knows right now. Just because we have booked a 2022 cruise very early when it was initially available does not mean we will want to be on board if cruising hasn't returned to normal. We would cancel before final payment date. Just remain flexible in mind. Normal cruising should return someday.

That's a pretty tough question to answer!  I'm going to go with this as most likely:  I will assume the cruise lines require passengers to be vaccinated to board.  They will also ensure their employees are vaccinated or, at a minimum, test negative and then must remain on board.  If these criteria are met, I see no reason that the cruise line can't fill the ships to capacity.  That being said, if capacity is dictated by outside agencies (i.e. the CDC) then it will likely be based on first come first served.  I see no other equitable way to proceed.  In fact, Princess could set that stage by posting a set of potential conditions that would dictate who sails.  At least then people would be aware when they book a room.  Just a few random thoughts!  I'm not sure anyone really knows yet.

20 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

.... Now, imagine how those passengers will react when the cruise line gives them the news about  being "bumped" from a particular cruise because of capacity control.  I wouldn't want to be a PVP or customer rep when the "your cabin is not active for the cruise you selected" messages start rolling out. 

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Unfortunately I do think there will be some unhappy folks who were booked that will not be able to sail. Hopefully the cruise lines will use some criteria that appears to at least most cruisers to be "fair"....and that the lines sweeten the news with something....OBC?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I think capacity limits have already been placed.

I don't think the cruise lines have limits in place yet. Why would they with so many unknows right now? I can't blame the cruise lines for not having self imposed limits. I'd do the same thing. Hopefully their rational for "bumping" passengers will be first booked, first confirmed......but then that benefits me since I tend to book a year in advance.😎

4 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Why would they with so many unknowns right now?

So they don't have to bump people, causing further upset.

It's my belief that they won't book more than 60% of occupancy.

If they are later allowed to sail full, they will have no problem filling the ships. The demand is there.

Filling the ship with eager customers is a lot more appealing than pissing off folks by bumping them based on some sort of seniority.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

I think capacity limits have already been placed.

Had that exact question for PVP last week.  She said as far as she knows Princess has not put capacity limits on any US cruises and has no idea how they will decide who sails if limits are required by the CDC.  She had asked her boss and was told just keep on booking.

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

If they are later allowed to sail full, they will have no problem filling the ships. The demand is there.

Filling the ship with eager customers is a lot more appealing than pissing off folks by bumping them based on some sort of seniority.

You may be right, it just doesn't seem that way to me. Who know....if I get bumped from my cruises below I'll return to this thread and update it!😉

3 hours ago, franktown said:

Had that exact question for PVP last week.  She said as far as she knows Princess has not put capacity limits on any US cruises and has no idea how they will decide who sails if limits are required by the CDC.  She had asked her boss and was told just keep on booking.

Well, that's something from one person at Princess, but I noticed she said "as far as she knows....". Hopefully we will find out something this summer.

9 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Logically...

I tend to agree, I'm pretty sure like most of us, the cruise lines have been aware for a long time that the resumption will be at reduced capacity, and have planed accordingly in their future bookings.

As you said, I'm pretty sure they don't want re-start with entire new group of additionally  pis##ed off customer's and all the additional bad press that would garner.

16 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

If they are later allowed to sail full, they will have no problem filling the ships.

Bookings for cruises still scheduled for later this year were started long before the pandemic began. By last March they were probably already booked above 60% capacity and Princess has continued selling these cruises during the pandemic.

As far as 2022 cruises, I am sure Princess believes any government imposed capacity limits will be gone by next January and are not limiting any sales for those voyages.

So my gut feeling is that so far Princess has not limited sales.

If Princess is forced to cut back on capacity, I think they will do just as they have in the past when cruises were overbooked, make move-over offers until enough passengers accept them. That way nobody is denied boarding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that priority boarding will be given to Suites and more expensive cabins first.  Then gamblers.  Then top tier frequent cruisers.  And for sure there will be lots of offers to shift sailing dates for those facing the possibility of being bumped 

3 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

I read that some cruiselines are using the inside cabins for crew members, so they won't be as cramped as in the regular cabins they get on deck 0

I too read that somewhere, can't remember where or how good the information was. I think it's a good idea though, as I understand inside cabins were becoming less popular even before the pandemic. Now just about everyone wants at least a porthole (aka window) in their cabin.....in case they get quarantined there! Can't blame them.

Doug

4 hours ago, freedom750 said:

I think that priority boarding will be given to Suites and more expensive cabins first.  Then gamblers.  Then top tier frequent cruisers.  And for sure there will be lots of offers to shift sailing dates for those facing the possibility of being bumped 

Oh oh, I'm booked in a mini-suite, and we are not gamblers, and I don't suppose we are considered top tier frequent cruisers as we are only a "high platinum" status. 😲 Time will tell, eh? Maybe those who think Princess has been booking to less than capacity are correct, and those of us booked now are okay.....but I just don't think so. I could be wrong....happens quite often... actually..........☺️

Doug

Still can't stop folks from over guessing what might happen.  I guess it's one way to pass the time until the real facts come out.

I can't blame the industry from forging ahead and booking as many passengers as willing to cruise again.  If there is mandatory reduction in capacity to maintain some sort of semblance of social distancing, then they can always to some creative shuffling like "move over" offers.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Grego said:

Still can't stop folks from over guessing what might happen.  I guess it's one way to pass the time until the real facts come out.

I can't blame the industry from forging ahead and booking as many passengers as willing to cruise again.  If there is mandatory reduction in capacity to maintain some sort of semblance of social distancing, then they can always to some creative shuffling like "move over" offers.  

Some great photos you  have at that link........................😎

Doug

• Like 1

In terms of passenger limits, my opinions are as follows:

1. First cruises to sail will undoubtedly be capacity limited.  

2.  If the U.S. follows recent announcements for the UK, first cruises will be cruises to no where.  And as such, are not represented in current bookings.  When they are announced, bookings will be opened, including any reserved capacity being blocked.  Also, like the UK, early voyages will certainly require proof of vaccination - this alone will limit capacity as many can't currently be vaccinated.

3.  Meanwhile, Princess assumes that AT SOME POINT normal operations will resume.  So, no capacity controls are likely in place for the current deployment.  This is certainly true - but when (will normal operations resume)?  No one, including Princess knows.  

4.  Voyage cancellations are likely to continue until step #2 has been completed demonstrating little or no risk on very controlled cruises.  Only thereafter will anything like "normal" return.  

Long story short in my opinion, complete cancellations remain far more likely than capacity driven cancellations within a booked voyage this will likely remain the case through '21 and perhaps into early '22.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

I read that some cruiselines are using the inside cabins for crew members, so they won't be as cramped as in the regular cabins they get on deck 0

I would really doubt they would put passengers and crew on the same deck. There are non fraternizing rules in place

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

In terms of passenger limits, my opinions are as follows:

2.  If the U.S. follows recent announcements for the UK, first cruises will be cruises to nowhere.  And as such, are not represented in current bookings. 

Not allowed by USA law from USA ports.

• Like 1

Here's something of interest and somewhat on topic: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5969/

But that's a cruise not from a USA port.....I think we will learn more about who goes sailing once CONUS cruises start again.....hopefully in July (2021). I know there are smaller ship cruise lines sailing before that, but I'm more curious about the larger ships from Princess, HAL, RCI, Celebrity and the like.

Doug