Let's think positive -- I am booking one of the new Bahamas cruises because . .. and any other thoughts

I am so tired of the negativity.

The glass is half full

We are so tired of staying home

We booked a b2b -- turns out we will see some of our cruising friends on board on one leg.

I am looking forward to someone else doing the cooking, looking out at the beautiful scenery and being entertained.

Being on a Crystal ship is heaven -- even if it goes nowhere.

We too are in chats with our TA about doing mid July.  Have never cruised with Crystal so this will be an excellent time to try for many reasons besides what you mentioned bitob!  

Posted (edited)

We have booked our first sailing on Crystal for this July in the Bahamas on Serenity and are looking forward to the experience greatly.

Edited by cdcummings

I'm wondering whether Crystal can develop Bahamas-specific activities that will minimize the impact of 900 passengers on any one island but maximize the enjoyment.

Seabourn organizes BBQ days on the beach and they select gorgeous secluded beaches to set up an all-day BBQ that includes beach amenities. Borrowed from Seabourn as well, Crystal already does Caviar & Champagne on the Esprit and I wonder if the concept is transferable to the Serenity. Again, the idea being to offer a variety of experiences (including the usual shorex) that will distribute the number of passengers instead of letting all 900 roam free through the tiny towns. Main obstacle to these may be how to get passengers directly to the beach on tenders if there aren't proper docking facilities.

I think that the inconvenience of tendering nearly every day and the attractions of life on board will keep enough people on the ship at any particular port, that the number going ashore would be far less than 900 for any particular out island.  Crystal could help make this happen by scheduling the activities & lectures as if every day were a sea day, except in Nassau and Bimini.  A Crystal event ashore might be nice also, but I think robust onboard options would be just as effective, if not more so, in keeping the small islands from being overwhelmed.

54 minutes ago, Pat King said:

I think this would be a perfect time to find out if I liked the life of a live-aboard.

Is that positive enough?

very much so.  thx

Looking forward to some proper cocktails, a comfy bed, beautiful scenery and some good meals!

Of course at this second in time, I could do with PB&J (and a good cocktail !) and my balcony and be perfectly happy. On a personal note, John and I had our honeymoon on Great Exuma 51 years ago. It will be great fun to go back and see how it's changed! I think the itinerary is just perfect for us. A stroll thru some tiny towns that aren't overrun with folks from mega ships, no Diamonds International, nor a Carlos and Charlies....After a spin thru the hamlet(s), it's back to the ship for a proper lunch and maybe some pool time, an adult beverage and a steward dropping grapes in my mouth....(giggle!)

We enjoyed your positive outlook when we sailed with you both in 2018 and very much enjoy your thoughts now.

When Captain Glen was Captain of Serenity he would often say if you want to have a good time you will and if you don't you won't.  

Life is short.  Always good to have the half glass is full approach and COVID-19 is one of those things in addition to ones health which can turn things upside down.  So best to take the bull by the horn and seek out those things which will make each of us happy. You have certainly chosen this by booking this cruise as have many people.  On the Crystal Society Page on FB several people have posted they have booked on of the 32 different cruises being offered.

Keith

Just now, cruisebug722 said:

Feeling very positive.  Booked for July 17th and again for September 18th.  Hope the numbers are great enough for Crystal to proceed with there plans.

The good news is lots of bookings for sure and the system has been open less than 24 hours.

Keith

I am booked for July 3rd. Even last night, when I went online at midnight (EST) all of the categories were available. Within 30 minutes, several were already sold out!

Excited here, I already booked my airfare.

Posted (edited)

I've got air and pre cruise hotel --

Looking at what to do in the ports since we are not beac people

May rent a golf cart or hire a taxi -- if I get off the ship

MUST swim with the pigs on Great Exuma

BTW -- my TA just told ,Celebrity is going to announce a series of cruises RT St Maarten

Looks like this is the way cruising will resume for now.

Edited by bitob
3 hours ago, bitob said:

I am so tired of the negativity.

The glass is half full

We are so tired of staying home

We booked a b2b -- turns out we will see some of our cruising friends on board on one leg.

I am looking forward to someone else doing the cooking, looking out at the beautiful scenery and being entertained.

Being on a Crystal ship is heaven -- even if it goes nowhere.

I fully agree with you, bitob -- I am tired of staying home. Vaccinated and ready.

Did Crystal offer a further discount for booking B2B, as they usually do? And will a B2B count as 2 cruises as far as Crystal Society Membership is concerned?

--Robert

7 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

I fully agree with you, bitob -- I am tired of staying home. Vaccinated and ready.

Did Crystal offer a further discount for booking B2B, as they usually do? And will a B2B count as 2 cruises as far as Crystal Society Membership is concerned?

--Robert

I don’t believe a B2B discount is offered per info I received from my TA 

Nancy

Here is excerpt from Bloomberg article 

Before getting on the ship, cruisers will have to follow Bahamian entry rules that have been in place since borders opened in July. The requirements include a pre-trip PCR test, obtaining a Bahamas Travel Health Visa, an antigen test on the fifth day of vacation. To deliver the latter—as well as PCR tests that are required for re-entry to the U.S.—Crystal is outfitting Serenity with its own Covid-19 testing lab.

20 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

--Robert

Agree -- our TA sent the Crystal invoice last night at 1225 AM... 

This is why you have a TA.

The B2B is treated as two invoices so likely you get 2 cruise credits.

Will be interesting to see if the US relaxes the PCR test on reentry.

We already booked our flights on Jet Blue from FLL.   Plane was empty so fare inbound 2 others, return 4 others.  Embraer E170 for a 1 hour flight.

55 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Agree -- our TA sent the Crystal invoice last night at 1225 AM... 

This is why you have a TA.

The B2B is treated as two invoices so likely you get 2 cruise credits.

Thanks for the info.  My TA also booked me around midnight. I went online just to be nosey. 

This is good news, I've been wanting to try Crystal and this would be a great way! I just wish it was starting in May for our spring holiday. 4th of July week is always a family reunion so maybe in the fall. Can't wait for retirement when limited vacation days aren't a thing 😃

Booked my 2 daughters and me for august 7th. It has been years since I’ve been on Crystal so not only am I ready to sail again but to try Crystal again. Clever of their management to do the Bahamas.  I’ve been sailing another line the last few years, so this will be informational for me.