How are the Swans doing 2021

I tuned in a bit late and Swans were down 20-2. I was happy to see them come back and finally win but it wasn't pretty. Is it just me, or do the Swans seem a bit off? They can't pass or catch very reliably. (And, I hope that's what it is called, no special name for this?) A lot of balls seem to bounce off their hands or get thrown behind them, etc. I understand the ball is a tricky shape and the game moves pretty fast, but still.

Am I being too hard on them?

Go Swans!

7 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

They can't pass or catch very reliably. (And, I hope that's what it is called, no special name for this?)

In AFL, when a player "catches" the ball, it is called a mark. Just to confuse you, the player that stands in front of the player taking the kick after taking the mark, is standing on the mark. You might have noticed, that if the player standing the mark moves off the mark before the umpire calls play on, a 50-metre plenty is awarded to the player kicking the ball. 🙂

Edited by By The Bay

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

In AFL, when a player "catches" the ball, it is called a mark. Just to confuse you, the player that stands in front of the player taking the kick after taking the mark, is standing on the mark. You might have noticed, that if the player standing the mark moves off the mark before the umpire calls play on, a 50-metre plenty is awarded to the player kicking the ball. 🙂

I had a feeling "catches" wasn't right. This clears up a couple of things for me--what's a mark and why there were some penalties. I bet after a few more years, I might understand this game 😁 

Thanks for the help.

3 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

OMG, that would be hysterical. I would provide a good laugh for all of you! Plus, I'd probably get run over. And I don't know if I could make the ball bounce high enough for the start!!

When the umpire can't bounce the ball high enough, they will usually just throw it up.

Leigh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

You will need to fail a basic eye test before being approved for umpiring.

It seemed more than a little ironic when the umpires were sponsored by OPSM (big eyewear company).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

You will need to fail a basic eye test before being approved for umpiring.

4 hours ago, Docker123 said:

It seemed more than a little ironic when the umpires were sponsored by OPSM (big eyewear company).

LOL. We have the same attitude here with our NFL officials. Sometimes I don't think they are watching the same game as me. If good vision isn't a requirement, I think I'm in 😊

• Like 2

I am watching Blues-Hawks now. Later tonight, it will be Crows-Demons. I doubt I will make it through both games but happy they are on. These are the only 2 games we will get this week, too bad the early one is sort of a stinker!

Go Swans!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

5 games will be televised here but not the Swans. Much sadness 😞 

Surely we can beat Carlton, with no last second drama????

Go Swans!

That's a shame ML. I hope the Swans win against the Blues. Some happy members of my family with the Dees beating the Doggies last night. Now for the Bombers to beat the Eagles tonight.

Leigh

I haven't followed the Swans closely but I saw a game where it appeared the players were feeding the ball to buddy a lot, and they lost. The next game buddy wasn't playing so the forwards were making the shots and they won. Am I reading too much into this?