What do I buy for white nights?

islandwoman

I will be going on my very first Azamara cruises (4 B2B) from April until June, Tokyo to Greece, next year.  I don't own any white clothing because I really don't like wearing it (see through!).  What should I buy for white nights on deck that would work for all kinds of weather?  I don't want to buy or pack more than one white outfit.

First there is no need to buy anything - and bear in mind we do not know if events like that will continue.  If you do not want to buy white, you can wear cream or pale yellow/lemon.  I have even seen ladies wear black trousers and t shirt and they have dressed it up with white beads or a white scarf.  Some have put white hair clips or ribbons in their hair.  So firstly it is not a requirement to wear white and it is something white not all white.  If you do buy white, white jeans are not going to give you the see through issue and they are often worn with a coloured t shirt.

There are no fashion police on Azamara - enjoy your cruises, fingers crossed they all run as planned

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I have seen people wear the robes that are furnished in your cabin.  It is a fun evening with food, drinks and entertainment.  Just let your hair down and enjoy it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can wear anything you want - white, red, black, purple, etc.  I have never worn anything white and neither has my wife on white night.  Some people think that the white night idea is really important.  I think that it is silly.  Don't worry about it.

Another thing.  On white night, everyone jams into the limited number of places to eat on the deck and it is a mad house.  Much better to eat inside at one of the dining rooms where it is more comfortable.

DON

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Husband always has a white shirt with him ,which is easy and I’ve worn a white cardigan or a white /cream wrap over a pale coloured dress in the past. I did eventually buy a white dress which will come out on all future cruises. 🤞🙏

I would agree with  @donaldsc , whilst we enjoy the theme, we have never eaten up on deck in our 10 cruises. We always eat in the main dining room and then go up for the dancing and entertainment later.

Edited by combine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They make unique dishes at the white night [BBQ chicken, lamb, beef.  Seafood and fish.  Pasta station.  Frito Misto station.  Variety of cheeses.  Salads.  Desserts,  Crêpes Suzette].  But I would be very happy to get a plate and then find a quiet table inside Windows.  [Not sure if that was possible, because each of our two opportunities had something special going on outside that we didn't want to miss:  the amazing turnaround in Troll Fjord; then Captain Carl's last White Night on Quest.]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I cobbled together white capris, a white tank top, and white cardigan from what I had packed, not knowing there would be a white dance party on the Reflection in February 2020. I might do that again (maybe with a colored tank) for our May 2022 first cruise on the Azamara Quest. I hope there will still be white nights as Azamara changes hands. It sounds like a lot of fun.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They make unique dishes at the white night [BBQ chicken, lamb, beef.  Seafood and fish.  Pasta station.  Frito Misto station.  Variety of cheeses.  Salads.  Desserts,  Crêpes Suzette].  But I would be very happy to get a plate and then find a quiet table inside Windows.  [Not sure if that was possible, because each of our two opportunities had something special going on outside that we didn't want to miss:  the amazing turnaround in Troll Fjord; then Captain Carl's last White Night on Quest.]

Windows is not officially open that night.  The crew use a lot of the area as a staging post for service.  They have a very good menu in the main dining room on white nights, often surf and turf.  I heard this was because they actually need some guests to go there, they could not seat everyone on deck.  We often do MDR for main course then go upstairs for crepe suzette.  Whether any of the buffet food service that White Nights relies on can be offered in the future, who knows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  That makes sense that they need Windows.  And yes, the crepes suzette are the one unmissable part of the white night menu.  Here's hoping that vaccinations make the White Night we all know possible on future cruises.

• Like 2

I love White Night! But on our last Alaska cruise, it was held as we were heading out to sea. Started out balmy and the suddenly became windy and freezing! Everyone bailed to the MDR, which did a stellar job of accommodating a huge influx of diners! 

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

You can wear anything you want - white, red, black, purple, etc.  I have never worn anything white and neither has my wife on white night.  Some people think that the white night idea is really important.  I think that it is silly.  Don't worry about it.

Another thing.  On white night, everyone jams into the limited number of places to eat on the deck and it is a mad house.  Much better to eat inside at one of the dining rooms where it is more comfortable.

DON

To each his or her own. It’s such a fun night!  Party atmosphere. Don’t fret about wearing white; wear what you’re comfortable in. 
It not jammed in, lots of tables and lots of fun!  One of my favorite things about Azamara is the friendliness of the passengers. Don’t be afraid to ask to join a table with empty chairs. We’ve asked and been asked; never been disappointed!  

• Like 8

5 hours ago, scrapcreator said:

I cobbled together white capris, a white tank top, and white cardigan from what I had packed, not knowing there would be a white dance party on the Reflection in February 2020. I might do that again (maybe with a colored tank) for our May 2022 first cruise on the Azamara Quest. I hope there will still be white nights as Azamara changes hands. It sounds like a lot of fun.

My understanding is that they will continue but won’t be called white night; will be night under the stars

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, laurieb said:

My understanding is that they will continue but won’t be called white night; will be night under the stars

Then I could wear my black "Total Solar Eclipse" t-shirt  😀

• Like 4

Thanks for the tip to eat in the MDR on white night or whatever replaces it. For our white night off Spain in October, the chill in the air meant hot/warm dishes were cold. The deck was crowded to the point that we could barely find two seats together. But I'd go up there for the Crepes Suzette dessert again. 

20 minutes ago, Maya_C said:

Thanks for the tip to eat in the MDR on white night or whatever replaces it. For our white night off Spain in October, the chill in the air meant hot/warm dishes were cold. The deck was crowded to the point that we could barely find two seats together. But I'd go up there for the Crepes Suzette dessert again. 

If you find it too crowded and/or chilly there is nothing to stop you taking your food into Windows Cafe and eating it there. I've done that before and it means I can still partake in the festivities.  I like the dining room too and they have a nice menu there. But if you haven't experienced White Night before it's a shame to miss. 

Phil 

• Like 5

My DH & I have different views about the White Night food on deck. I love it - it’s always delicious - lobster and or steak, Frito misto, whole large fish etc etc. MyDH hates standing in queues and it is often difficult to find a time when the queues are non existent or short.

• Like 2

We have only been on one Azamara cruise, and we really enjoyed the White Night. I wore tan capris, a white blouse and cardigan. My husband wore khakis and a white golf shirt. There were people in all types and colors of outfits, although most people had on something light colored. We really had a great time, and hope these nights continue on future cruises. The food was delicious, and the music a lot of fun!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I brought a cheap dinner jacket (essentially a white tuxedo jacket).   I wore it over just a pair of black pants and a white button down shirt (that I wore other days by themselves) and a bow tie.     People all thought I looked very formal.   I even brought a self-tied bow tie so I could go rat pack and leave it untied and dangling around my neck as the night went on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flyingron said:

I brought a cheap dinner jacket (essentially a white tuxedo jacket).   I wore it over just a pair of black pants and a white button down shirt (that I wore other days by themselves) and a bow tie.     People all thought I looked very formal.   I even brought a self-tied bow tie so I could go rat pack and leave it untied and dangling around my neck as the night went on.

Brilliant idea!  I might have to copy that – I've always fancied a white dinner jacket as an alternative to a tux.  Paired with a navy suit, I'd have two 'formal' outfits [in case we decide to try Silversea]

On our first Azamara cruise, I overlooked the fact that the main dining room was also open.  We really did not enjoy the white night, but to each his own.  We don't like crowded events and the lines were so very long you couldn't tell what you were in line for until you got closer.  Everyone seemed to be having a good time.  Hopefully we will be on our second cruise this fall and we will eat in the dining room and go up for festivities after dinner.

The lines seem to be more for the freshly cooked meats and fish that are done on the barbecue at the front. If you walk further down towards the back where the breads and salads are there are stations there too with all sorts of hot and cold foods including a manned pasta station.  That's where I head for and then if the queue at the front has gone then I'll get something from there as I go back to my table. Otherwise I pass as I don't like queueing and letting the food go cold. 

Phil 

When we eat at White Night on deck we tend not to go for food until about 30-45 minutes after the buffet has opened.  The lines are usually bad in the first half hour.  I also try and get the cold food onto my plate first then line up for the first

On 3/19/2021 at 2:07 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

If you find it too crowded and/or chilly there is nothing to stop you taking your food into Windows Cafe and eating it there. I've done that before and it means I can still partake in the festivities.  I like the dining room too and they have a nice menu there. But if you haven't experienced White Night before it's a shame to miss. 

Phil 

I love White Nights.  I've had a few and some of them with you Mr Phil!

• Like 3

Now that I have learned from your posts about the lines and crowds at the White Nights, I wonder whether Azamara will continue them.  Some cruise lines are already talking about doing away with their buffets to reduce the chance of spreading infections.