The Daily for Friday Mar 19, 2021

richwmn

Good morning everyone. I will certainly salute all the nurses who have worked so hard during this pandemic, both in hospitals and in doctors’ offices. Everyone should try to laugh everyday. It helps release endorphins and keeps us happy. Our backyard is warming up and I can’t wait till we can sit out on our patio. Temps starting tomorrow will be in the high 50 and 60.

I finally have a plan for the vaccine after talking to the infectious disease doctor again yesterday. I will wait till after my mohs surgery and until the scar on my face heals. Then, I will take the J and J vaccine since it’s only a one shot deal and will pray I don’t get Bells Palsy from it. It looks like the only way Ali can live my life is to take the vaccine and hope for the best.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 27

48 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Sorry Jacqui.  Suffered NE winters for a very long time. Really enjoying this now. 

Had to tease you 😉 It’s beautiful. 👍   We live where we live so you enjoy and I’ll have to wait for a while.

• Like 10

Good Morning All, thanks for the daily report.  We were promised snow overnight. It didn’t happen and I’m counting that as a good thing.  Still a small pile of snow in the yard and I suspect that it will be gone when spring arrives tomorrow.

• Like 15

Hi all, I think the rains have stopped for a while so even if it's cloudy, I'm not getting wet!  

DD says her arm is a little sore and she had a headache but Tylenol took care of that.  She has lots of headaches anyway, so what else is new is her attitude.  By Monday all the teachers will be ready to come back and get back to teaching.

Nice to see all the ships spread out everywhere.  And I'm looking forward to seeing the NS in Port Everglades soon.

@kazuthanks once again for your memes.  Love them each day.

@summer slopeYour backyard looks so relaxing.  Enjoy that warm, restful, happy environment.

Livorno is a port we've been to 6 times according to my lists at cruise-ships.com.  I just wish their My Cruising Profile tickers worked.  On the blink again and it can take a year to get something done about it.  

We've of course traveled from Livorno to Florence, Pisa, and Lucca.  But one trip we took the shuttle into Livorno to see what it offered.  Not much!  One and done!  Maybe I'll sort through photos from those 6 cruises and see if there are a few photos to share.  Bye for now.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 20

Good Morning Dailyites!

What a wonderful collections of days. If the last year hasn't made us appreciate nurses and a good laugh, I don't know what will. As tempting as the suggested menu is and Roy's alternate, we had already planned on Beef Stroganoff for tonight. A hot toddy is always welcome, especially when the weather is cool, isn't it? Especially a recipe for one that doesn't measure the whiskey, LOL! I don't know if our palates are up to oily and/or chewy, so our wine tonight will be a red that we already have on hand!

We have loved our port stops in Italy, but so far, Livorno has not been one of them. DH went to Florence decades ago and says it is magnificent. Yet another addition to the ever-increasing Bucket List.

@dfish  Congratulations on your inaugural run with your new laundry equipment!

@summer slope  Your 'backyard' is lovely. Enjoy.

@surfcitygirl  Thank you for summarizing how so many of us feel about this wonderful thread.

@mamaofami  It sounds as though you have a great plan. Lots of people here are cheering you on.

@kazu  Love your memes. Every day. Many are copied & pasted and sent out to non-CC friends.

Have a great Friday everyone. It's Date Night here and when we have a pre-dinner cocktail in our Pretend Ocean Bar, we will send hopeful thoughts to those on the cares list and have a toast for those on the celebratory list.

Like so many of you, we have been fortunate to have received the vaccine. But we must remain vigilant about continuing to social distance, washing our hands, and wearing a mask -- hopefully for not much longer. We hope you do too.

-Cat

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good morning all. Many thanks again to Rich, Roy and all who contribute  Have been to Livorno twice and have gone to Pisa and Florence. Did not get to see the David either time....the first time there was some kind of demonstration and we could not get into town and the 2nd time it was a day the museum was closed!  Sorry, the pictures all ran together....

Copy (2) of Mediterrean Cruise 9-2011 015.jpg

Copy (2) of Mediterrean Cruise 9-2011 025.jpg

Copy (3) of Mediterrean Cruise 9-2011 027.jpg

Copy (3) of Mediterrean Cruise 9-2011 042.jpg

Edited by Love the beach
  • Like 28

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!

May all of the nurses be blessed the way they bless us when we need it most.

Thanks once again for the pictures and memories that you all share of places that you've been. Many of which we'll likely not see, but can experience through your eyes. We do enjoy that so.

Next Tues. Lori receives her second jab at the same time I get my first. By the time my second takes effect and we can work out the travel plans it will have been a year and a half since the last hugs from DD and the grandkids. Seems like a lifetime... we need to fix that!

Our best wishes for those on the care list and our biggest cheers for those celebrating!

Stay safe and healthy, and have a great day!

Lori & George

• Like 20

Good morning all!

Nurses are so deserving of their own day and our praise.  I laughed enough yesterday with my sister for the whole week 🙂   (thank you Roy for thinking of us).  The backyard will have to wait, it's a soggy mess right now and more rain coming all weekend!  I can't wait to get out there and plant some more Astilbe waiting in the garage.  The meal sounds and looks so yummy.  I agree with Debbie, not sure why the sugar is in the recipe and would prefer it without.  But tonight steak, baked potatoes and salad sounds good.

Livorno.  Sadly it was one of the ports we missed on our 65-day Med cruise(s) the fall of 2019.  I really was looking forward to seeing Florence and the Tower of Pisa.  Looking forward to photos!

Yesterday was wonderful seeing my sister after 16 months.  The drive was slightly stressful as the rain was pounding down (and so many semis spraying water on the freeway) but all worth it.  I plan to just be lazy today.

@jodi58congrats to your DH for his first jab appointment!

@mamaofamiso happy for you that you have a plan for the vaccine.  It sounds like a good one!

@VintageGeocongrats on your first and DW's second jabs!

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

A late winter early spring cold front passed thru last night here in St Petersburg, dropping our temp from 82 yesterday to 68 now.  Looks like Ft Lauderdale will be getting it today, so hope NS gets into port soon or awaits until it passes.

Has anyone commented on Volendam headed to Corfu?  With Europe cruises delayed until mid summer at best, is Volendam repositioning for the Med?

• Like 15

Good Morning All,

We have another lovely day taking shape here. One still needs a sweater, which is really nice, and I can tell the pollen is down. 😉 It won’t be long before it’s blasting hot again. 

Just want to point out Certified Nurses Day celebrates nurses who have specialized in a specific area by additional ongoing education and testing, usually on to an advanced degree (MSN or DSN). There are many subspecialties and some employers require their staff to at least be actively pursuing such credentials. 
https://www.aacn.org/certification/certified-nurses-day

In the US we celebrate Nursing in general, on Nurse Recognition Day in May (Florence Nightingale’s birthday).

https://www.nursingworld.org/education-events/national-nurses-week/history/

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 20

Good morning, super late to the party today!  First of all I was awake in the night with no idea why, but my brain turned on and refused to shut off.  Then DH and his son were heading out to the family farm for the day so I had to see them off.

Now, YAY for nurses - they have been so important throughout this pandemic, their worth not having really been realized before.  It's sad it took a pandemic to bring them to the forefront of people's thoughts.  DH makes me laugh every day, and for that I'm grateful.  I'll post a pic of my back yard a little farther down.

Love the menu suggestion, although I'm not sure about the sugar either; maybe I'll make it one day and see if it's really necessary.  Today's Friday which means it's pizza night at our house - it appears DH wants to try the chicken-bacon-ranch  for a change, so we'll see what it's all about.  And wine.

I've mentioned previously about not needing to take an Alaskan cruise because we have glaciers in our back yard for several months of the year.  I went into our yard the other day with DH and cleaned off the cement patio, then took this photo.  Although our "glaciers" have receded somewhat, you can still see how big they are when you look at the full sized barbecue to the right of the photo.  Oh, and while we were out shoveling, a bald eagle flew overhead - it seems all we're missing are bears, and I can live with that.  LOL

image.png.88d167670c228c8220b183f517d767bf.png

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra hugs for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list tonight.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

Thank you Rich for our Daily. Good morning sweet sisters, Roy and fellow Daily-ites.  @DeeniEncinitas Denise we have new hummingbirds coming to the feeders! I don't know if they are just flying through, but I think this pair are rufous. How is your little one? Almost time for it to fly away?

I had 3 ladies at my Mahjongg class last night. I started playing long time ago, have been teaching for 5 years. I would much rather play than teach, but it makes our groups bigger and folks appreciate learning the game. 

Today is our friends birthday and we're meeting our "Cav" group at Fish City Grill. It will be a bit cool, maybe they will bring the heaters outside.

The patio is on hold, waiting for the plumber to run and hook up gas lines to the grill and firepit. 

We spent a month in Italy on a driving trip. Spent 4 days hiking along Cinque Terre, then along the west coast and thru Lucca, Pisa, Livorno, and on to Florence. We only stopped in Livorno for an entire day. Cathedral, museum, lunch at the beach and visited the market for wines, cheese and fruit before moving on. 

Wishing all a blessed day. Feeling much better that the vaccines are reaching out to those wanting them. We may be on those dam ships soon!

Prayers and Cheers!

• Like 19

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days today. Having worked in healthcare I appreciate nurses and all HCW.

Meal and hot toddy are appealing, although I don't have any pork chops.

Today's port is another one that was on my cancelled 2020 cruise. I've been to Florence on a land trip, but not Pisa.

Rain is finally gone and it's sunny. Normally I love the sun, but my eye is a bit inflamed today and the sun hurts it. Sometimes I even have to wear sunglasses indoors.

Prayers to the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 17

At the company where I spent 20+ of my best years we had a nurse, Margaret, called Peg of course, who was mother hen and babysitter. And had been, as she put it, "since Roman times". 😃

She was the epitome of compassion for anyone with a work-related issue, and hell on wheels toward anything she thought you should have been smart enough to avoid, like sports injuries. You know how they say we only hurt the ones we love? There were several hundred at the plant where I worked, and we all felt loved by her at least once, and we all loved her for it.

So much so that when she neared retirement the word went out that her wish had always been to go to Ireland and explore her heritage but she feared she wouldn't be able to afford it. So we passed the hat and people from several divisions and plants in several states responded and we collected several thousand dollars to send her on her dream trip. In the time I was there she was the only person for whom anything like that was done. I can gladly hold her up as an example of how one nurse can touch many lives.

And if she knew I was telling this I know I would once again get that look and hear "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! Can't turn my back on you for a minute!"

God Bless you, Peg. He certainly Blessed us with you.

George

• Like 29

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Rich for our Daily. Good morning sweet sisters, Roy and fellow Daily-ites.  @DeeniEncinitas Denise we have new hummingbirds coming to the feeders! I don't know if they are just flying through, but I think this pair are rufous. How is your little one? Almost time for it to fly away?

I had 3 ladies at my Mahjongg class last night. I started playing long time ago, have been teaching for 5 years. I would much rather play than teach, but it makes our groups bigger and folks appreciate learning the game. 

Today is our friends birthday and we're meeting our "Cav" group at Fish City Grill. It will be a bit cool, maybe they will bring the heaters outside.

The patio is on hold, waiting for the plumber to run and hook up gas lines to the grill and firepit. 

We spent a month in Italy on a driving trip. Spent 4 days hiking along Cinque Terre, then along the west coast and thru Lucca, Pisa, Livorno, and on to Florence. We only stopped in Livorno for an entire day. Cathedral, museum, lunch at the beach and visited the market for wines, cheese and fruit before moving on. 

Wishing all a blessed day. Feeling much better that the vaccines are reaching out to those wanting them. We may be on those dam ships soon!

Prayers and Cheers!

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

image.thumb.jpeg.c31f48b4c841854763a6c0b2524df4ef.jpeg

image.jpeg.4dc281ffe09e9c1244b5101e497a89e6.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌴🌺🌺

Good morning Joy and Ann! Good morning to Rich, Roy, and Summer , and Debbie! HAPPY TGIF TO MY CC FAMILY! 
Just received an email from Joy so with coffee in hand wanted to share photos we took on our sunset walk by our house last night! So nice out and the sunset was beautiful! David took the pics with his phone. This is called Grandview at the end of our street which is one way! 
Hope you enjoy. Busy day for us so I hope to come back later! It might be this evening.

Joy so glad your hummers are coming back!!! We ordered a new glass multi color feeder and hope mama and her baby will enjoy on our patio!

Have a great day

Denise😊

• Like 29

I recall we took a tour of Cinque Terre once from Livorno, on the 2018 Prinsendam Grand Africa and Med cruise.  There's plenty to see when you visit Livorno so I hope you can all get there someday if you haven't already.  

Our tour went to three coastal villages in Cinque Terre - Manarola, Vernazza, and Monterosso.  Part of our trip was to be by boat but seas were dangerous and we took a train from Manarola to Vernazza.  

Our route to the sea in Manarola.enhance

enhance

enhance

Getting on the train in Manarola.

enhance

Here in Vernazza we had a similar experience.  In fact, I can't tell this street from the last one in Manarola.  enhance

Eating outside in Vernazza.enhance

Why we didn't take the boat!enhance

enhance

On the train on our route to Monterosso.enhance

And our view upon arrival.enhance

It was a quite interesting town.  Their view of the sea was the best I think.  After a while we started looking for a spot to eat lunch.  enhance

enhance

And wine...enhance

Enjoy your next visit to Livorno!

• Like 28

1 minute ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌴🌺🌺

Good morning Joy and Ann! Good morning to Rich, Roy, and Summer , and Debbie! HAPPY TGIF TO MY CC FAMILY! 
Just received an email from Joy so with coffee in hand wanted to share photos we took on our sunset walk by our house last night! So nice out and the sunset was beautiful! David took the pics with his phone. This is called Grandview at the end of our street which is one way! 
Hope you enjoy. Busy day for us so I hope to come back later! It might be this evening.

Joy so glad your hummers are coming back!!! We ordered a new glass multi color feeder and hope mama and her baby will enjoy on our patio!

Have a great day

Denise😊

Oh my goodness how beautiful. That Sunset looks like one you and I could enjoy in Hawaii Denise over at the Sand Bar. I hope mama and her baby stays at your feeder since you took such excellent care of them while the baby was hatching and growing. Wishing you and David a beautiful day. Love you lots and lots!

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌴🌺🌺

Have a great day

Denise😊

So beautiful!  Look at the colors in the evening.

• Like 7

Feast of St. Joseph, we'll be thinking of Jose, Jacqui!  Hello again, everyone!  I felt a bit headachy yesterday afternoon, too, and went to bed early.  Better today.  I suppose that means the vaccine had an effect.  Very bad news yesterday, though - Dr. Bonnie said no international travel for us this year.  I was shocked to hear it, I had hoped that once people started getting their second shots things would open up. There is already some rancour going about with suggestions it would be unfair if people who are vaccinated get to do more than people who are not.  

We have been to Livorno,  we took a tour to Lucca and Pisa as we had already spent a week in Florence.  When we got back from the tour Pat walked into Livorno to find a bank.  From the ship Livorno looked very pretty.

Lucca

P1010319.thumb.JPG.6e5586d77ab2400dc4f37ab3a0ebc188.JPG

P1010296.thumb.JPG.9b2c0cf68b119672f80e0dfc574be895.JPG

Pisa - shades of when I was there as a teenager!

(Pat's blue hat proves he was there!)

P1010342.thumb.JPG.940f49467f7b7d9b990dd94c628bb402.JPG

591950937_momPisa1957.thumb.jpg.85451bb9e44a161f1f5e62cb233e97f4.jpg

Livorno from the shipP1030810.thumb.JPG.accabc7f54ceda96c14e1e4c93a052cd.JPG

• Like 27

Thank you, Everyone, for the pictures from Livorno trips.

I am a bit down today because a dear friend, 63 years old, passed yesterday.  I’m still in a state of shock.

Also, My Dad and his older brother were both born on St. Joseph’s Day.  I miss them both.

I’ve been lucky enough to visit Florence on land trips and been to the port of Livorno once.  From Livorno, I took a ship sponsored shore excursion to Siena and San Gimignano.  I was speaking with some friends last evening and we were saying how much we love visiting Italy.

Thank you, Dailyites, for brightening my day.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4