Celebrity will be restarting cruising out of St. Maarten on June 5th with Millennium

dkjretired

Does anyone know where we can get a PCR test with same day results in CT, MA , Westchester NY, RI, or even NYC? 

Celebrity announced yesterday they are adding a requirement to have a PCR test done within 72hrs of sailing (8pm Sat). That means that if we fly out day before, we would basically need to take the test Thurs AM and have a result in hand before end of business day Thursday before we head to the airport Friday morning.  This is in addition to the rt-PCR test needed to get into the island and done up to 120 hrs prior to arrival, which we can do clearly but this new 72hr prior to sailing to bring to boarding and then test again is not only ridiculous but seemingly impossible. It also precludes any stays pre cruise. This was a bad idea they announced on the agent call yesterday. 

Thanks!

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

In my state (PA) we are ranked 19th (good) but there is a tiered allocation system.  The city of Philadelphia has its own rules and allocation entirely outside the state and county rules.   And there is also a socioeconomic priority too for certain zip codes in Philadelphia as others here have reported for their states.   But the other large city (Pittsburgh) falls under the county and state rules.  The most populous suburban counties (like my county Montgomery) are fighting the state to get more vaccine doses.  The state is giving rural counties more vaccine per capita than the highly populated counties.  This has become a political battle.

So far to my knowledge we have avoided the political battle piece.Some counties have no public health Dept presence, so the state has to take care of those counties, and I think that has been a priority for logistical reasons if nothing else.

my DH’s second dose appt is almost 2 weeks past his actual “due” date, so I’ve been calling around trying to get him a earlier slot. There was a big drive thru clinic on Monday for first doses that had a number of open slots. I think in our county we are having issues with publicizing where to get a shot - Walmart and CVS are more convenient than waiting in your car. There is no right answer, just time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

Does anyone know where we can get a PCR test with same day results in CT, MA , Westchester NY, RI, or even NYC? 

Celebrity announced yesterday they are adding a requirement to have a PCR test done within 72hrs of sailing (8pm Sat). That means that if we fly out day before, we would basically need to take the test Thurs AM and have a result in hand before end of business day Thursday before we head to the airport Friday morning.  This is in addition to the rt-PCR test needed to get into the island and done up to 120 hrs prior to arrival, which we can do clearly but this new 72hr prior to sailing to bring to boarding and then test again is not only ridiculous but seemingly impossible. It also precludes any stays pre cruise. This was a bad idea they announced on the agent call yesterday. 

Thanks!

So if you are not an agent privy to these calls where are you supposed to get this type of information?  Booking open tomorrow and no FAQ's as far as I know.   RCL has FAQ's out for their Bahamas cruises.

The mall near our house has a tent set up in parking lot for same day PCR results. However, I think these places will pop up like atms  (I was going to say Walgreens and  CVS which would be a better place to have pcr same day results than a mall parking lot.

They send a certified form to you via e mail, and the cruise lines could set up a program to log that in before you even check on so you are A-ok to go.

The bigger issue will be what if you get a false positive -these tests are not known for conclusiveness anyway.

8 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

So if you are not an agent privy to these calls where are you supposed to get this type of information?  Booking open tomorrow and no FAQ's as far as I know.   RCL has FAQ's out for their Bahamas cruises.

They said they would have the info out by today. Nope. Nothing yet. 

6 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

The mall near our house has a tent set up in parking lot for same day PCR results. However, I think these places will pop up like atms  (I was going to say Walgreens and  CVS which would be a better place to have pcr same day results than a mall parking lot.

They send a certified form to you via e mail, and the cruise lines could set up a program to log that in before you even check on so you are A-ok to go.

The bigger issue will be what if you get a false positive -these tests are not known for conclusiveness anyway.

I am used to getting PCRs from Walgreens and they take DAYS to come back. CVS says 24-48hrs or more and the other rapids are Antigens or the same day for Walgreens is Abbotts.   

There isnt a central place to go online and find these locations and its very frustrating. 

I hope the cruise line gets this stuff nailed down and release a hard set of health rules. This back and forth stuff 4 hours prior to going on sail isnt at all ok. 

• Like 1

Let me suggest that this issue with CDC AND other agencies is much more than we are thinking. Its going to be controversial, I am sure , so I will post it and let the board do the talking. I as well have more thinking to do on this. So I am throwing it out there.

First, I do think this is CDC  retaliating against Richard Fain and RCL for daring to leave US ports. It is a power and control issue, but now that I think of it, its more. 

Its about the "New Green Deal", and "not letting a good crisis go to waste" .

Whether you or I agree with it , or not, we know the current policy is to do away with fossil fuels asap.  In calendar 2019, RCL spent 680 million on diesel fuel, and the other big 2 or 3 have to be in the same ballpark.

By using covid, and CDC, good,  bad or indifferent, they have been able to shut down the cruising industry and 2/3 of the airline industry and of course ancillary businesses, that all use energy-eg work from home.. (I said this would be controversial, but a good businessperson must consider everything). I now think there are a lot of people happy  on this. we are now talking about shutting down an industry  for 2 years , and severely curtailing others (Airlines, hotels-where do you go if hotels are shut down) .  Even though its killing the economy. (I am all for improving our environment but for crying out loud, not overnight at such a hefty cost).

Even the move to electric vehicles restricts long distance trips, and vacations. because not only do the cars have batteries limiting distance , but recharging times are far longer than filling a tank with gasoline. And the lead time to build out  new electric power stations that do not use coal or nat gas is a very long time.

Just think about this in an independent manner. We do not have to agree whether its right or wrong, just that it could be happening. That's perhaps  why the CDC director said other agencies were involved: eg EPA, transportation, DOE, probably more.

The easiest way would have been if we all just steered away from cruising as being too dangerous. Novo virus did not stop us (being the big group us). If what I say is true, we should be flooding out Congress reps with e mails,  calls and letters, unless, of course,  we want to live with the consequences of the New Green Deal, .

When I was thinking about it a little while ago it was at first crazy, but it does check off boxes for those pushing new green deal.

And never let a good crisis go to waste-that was from Rahm Emanuel--who I met at a fundraiser in Chicago and talked with me  until  he found out I could not help him  and dropped me like a hot potato.

Have fun with this.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Let me suggest that this issue with CDC AND other agencies is much more than we are thinking. Its going to be controversial, I am sure , so I will post it and let the board do the talking. I as well have more thinking to do on this. So I am throwing it out there.

First, I do think this is CDC  retaliating against Richard Fain and RCL for daring to leave US ports. It is a power and control issue, but now that I think of it, its more. 

Its about the "New Green Deal", and "not letting a good crisis go to waste" .

Whether you or I agree with it , or not, we know the current policy is to do away with fossil fuels asap.  In calendar 2019, RCL spent 680 million on diesel fuel, and the other big 2 or 3 have to be in the same ballpark.

By using covid, and CDC, good,  bad or indifferent, they have been able to shut down the cruising industry and 2/3 of the airline industry and of course ancillary businesses, that all use energy-eg work from home.. (I said this would be controversial, but a good businessperson must consider everything). I now think there are a lot of people happy  on this. we are now talking about shutting down an industry  for 2 years , and severely curtailing others (Airlines, hotels-where do you go if hotels are shut down) .  Even though its killing the economy. (I am all for improving our environment but for crying out loud, not overnight at such a hefty cost).

Even the move to electric vehicles restricts long distance trips, and vacations. because not only do the cars have batteries limiting distance , but recharging times are far longer than filling a tank with gasoline. And the lead time to build out  new electric power stations that do not use coal or nat gas is a very long time.

Just think about this in an independent manner. We do not have to agree whether its right or wrong, just that it could be happening. That's perhaps  why the CDC director said other agencies were involved: eg EPA, transportation, DOE, probably more.

The easiest way would have been if we all just steered away from cruising as being too dangerous. Novo virus did not stop us (being the big group us). If what I say is true, we should be flooding out Congress reps with e mails,  calls and letters, unless, of course,  we want to live with the consequences of the New Green Deal, .

When I was thinking about it a little while ago it was at first crazy, but it does check off boxes for those pushing new green deal.

And never let a good crisis go to waste-that was from Rahm Emanuel--who I met at a fundraiser in Chicago and talked with me  until  he found out I could not help him  and dropped me like a hot potato.

Have fun with this.

Have fun with this.  Your closing says it all.  There are other places besides CC you can go to share these views.  Best of luck!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I'm not into conspiracy theories.

lol--have fun with it!

But still, why was November 1 just put out there, which means to the  CDC the Cruise lines and CDC are far from reaching resolution.

But you all have to admit, I maybe the only one out there thinking in this manner, met with flat out rejection.

I guess we will know in several months.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

lol--have fun with it!

But still, why was November 1 just put out there, which means to the  CDC the Cruise lines and CDC are far from reaching resolution.

But you all have to admit, I maybe the only one out there thinking in this manner, met with flat out rejection.

November is the expiration of the existing order. It wasn’t just put out there. Have you seen a formal request from any of the cruise lines directed to the CDC or the Secretary of HHS?  Those documents get posted by the sender. There is no formal response; the recipient would  post it. You have a routine press inquiry from an internet travel publisher that got a standard, truthful, if meaningless answer. And now being blown up as if it says something. It’s not new!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Thanks!

You can still do a pre stay, just plan to get tested on the Island.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Google is your friend.  I just googled where can I get a PCR test near me and my options are 3-4.( and we live in a rural area 90 minutes from a metropolitan area)   24 hr turn around is available. Insurance doesn’t cover it.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HMR74 said:

PCR tests are not really known for false positives. The Antigen are where the false positives (up to 5%) pop up.  That is why the cruise lines in the EU have been using the quick antigen tests at the dock and then retest anyone that shows a positive with PCR.

If anything PCR runs a false negative rate of around 20% or more depending upon the stage of the illness.

9 hours ago, HMR74 said:

it depends on what we do not know, which is a lot, but I think this "shtick" war between the CDC and other agencies, including Congress not seeking to help their local businesses,  , and cruise lines and businesses dependent on cruising including a lot of jobs, and places like Ft. Lauderdale and Miami  and others,  is going to go front and center.

It could be fun to watch, but we all here have money invested with cruise lines in the form of "customer deposits", some for the  full price of a couple or few cruises,  as well as the experience of cruising.  All the agents we work with have just lost commissions on another 5 months of bookings. And a motherload of people thinking they could get back to work soon, goes poof.

Does anybody remember James Carville "It's the Economy, stupid"  in 1992 election (actually it was a bit different that that but this will suffice).

The CDC just knocked off a nice sized chunk of GDP.  economic growth activity. and will probably cause more business bankruptcies.

Now whats the next chess move by the Cruise lines: do they first just cancel all cruises to October 31, and who really wants to be booked on a Nov Cruise.

Enter the home ports outside the US--the issue there is a cruise starting and ending  there now ups the cost of getting there, wherever there will be, but makes the travel a full day at best for most in the northern cities including Canada.  And its not like you can do pre or post cruise touring especially if you have been to those posts several times before.

And all the logistics.

Oh, I did say earlier this would end up being a test of which group has more leverage--now we get to see.

Someone has to make the first move in any direction to get us back on ships.... IMO

bon voyage

• Like 4

16 hours ago, silkismom said:

Another new email from Celebrity with a count-down until tomorrow, but still no actual info about flights by Celebrity to get us to St Maarten, guess we have to wait until tomorrow and make a last minute decision. 

No, one does not have to 'make a last minute decision', we can book and if not to our liking cancel after reading the T & C's of the new sailing protocol, including on-board requirements.

bon voyage

8 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Well, if it is 'same day' test result, hopefully one will not wait until day three (3) to get the test...

bon voyage

7 hours ago, HMR74 said:

lol--have fun with it!

Actually, you are not the only one thinking this way.  My DH has been saying this for months....in short "never let a good pandemic go to waste"  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

No, one does not have to 'make a last minute decision', we can book and if not to our liking cancel after reading the T & C's of the new sailing protocol, including on-board requirements.

bon voyage

The test booking I made didn't offer me a refundable deposit and final payment is due on 3/28.   At $300 pp/pd for my favorite aft C1 cabin with no mention of included air.  With no definition of what I'm getting for my money, no thanks.

• Thanks 1

Here is a source article for the CDC keeping the Nov 1 date in place, according to the email from the CDC to TradeWinds.  I just see this as status quo for right now.  No evil agenda by the CDC against the cruise industry.  The CDC statement says clearly that the CSO is currently being reviewed.  Did anybody else see this before jumping to theories and conclusions?  The CDC is fighting the pandemic and not the cruise industry.  That is the bottom line.  Many of you might be frustrated, or disagree, but that is my conclusion and opinion.  Yes I want to cruise this year too.

Here is the quote:

"The so-called Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO) remains effective until 1 November 2020, the CDC told TradeWinds in an email on Wednesday."

"Returning to passenger cruising is a phased approach to mitigate the risk of spreading Covid-19. Details for the next phase of the CSO are currently under interagency review," the agency said."

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/cdc-denies-cruise-sectors-request-to-lift-us-sailing-restrictions-by-july/2-1-986849

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at suites this morning and many of the popular ones were taken already.   I didn't think groups actually took individual cabins out of inventory until they were actually booked.  I do wonder if some TA's do put some on hold and try to sell them.   Otherwise there was a lot of early interest in these sailings with people committing.   I don't see how without any details around protocols being published.

From my post above regarding no refundable fares.  That was because I was looking at a sailing in June which is already past final payment date.  Later sailings did have refundable fares.

13 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Thanks!

The only way I know of to get PCR test (same day) is to check in your state at one of those urgent care clinics.  Some are walk up, others require an appointment.  In general unless the facility does on-site PCR itself, it will take at minimum a day or two to send the sample to a lab and get results.  Last week I got a PCR test from the local CVS and got the result (NEG) in about 36 hours.  

Here is a useful link:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/where-to-get-covid-test-travel/

18 hours ago, nocl said:

Actually they could have just kept the no sale order in place based upon the reasons provided.  Basically as long as the epidemic emergency declaration remains in place.

Yes I agree.  It is really that simple.