Jump to content

How bad is the hawking on Carnival


Recommended Posts

I have cruised plenty on Carnival, including some journeys cruises that are longer than a week.  The photographers are there but you can just waive them off at dinner if you see them coming.  They are stationed on the walkways indoor around dinner time every night, and a smile and head shake is enough.   The spa people hand out things on day 1, and after that there is no interaction with them UNLESS you use the spa area.  The art folks - if you don't go into the art gallery you have no interaction with them either.  On some ships we have had a waiter come around selling shots in fancy glasses to keep- our adult daughter had to try a couple of those 🙂     In all cases a smile and headshake is enough.  The photographs in the cruise terminal irritated me until I realized (on cruise 2) that I could just keep walking and not have to deal with it.   It really isn't bad.  Considering everything I described takes place over 9-11 days- I consider it a non-issue.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, pjhootch said:

I have cruised plenty on Carnival, including some journeys cruises that are longer than a week.  The photographers are there but you can just waive them off at dinner if you see them coming.  They are stationed on the walkways indoor around dinner time every night, and a smile and head shake is enough.   The spa people hand out things on day 1, and after that there is no interaction with them UNLESS you use the spa area.  The art folks - if you don't go into the art gallery you have no interaction with them either.  On some ships we have had a waiter come around selling shots in fancy glasses to keep- our adult daughter had to try a couple of those 🙂     In all cases a smile and headshake is enough.  The photographs in the cruise terminal irritated me until I realized (on cruise 2) that I could just keep walking and not have to deal with it.   It really isn't bad.  Considering everything I described takes place over 9-11 days- I consider it a non-issue.

 

That is a comparable experience with HAL and doesn't bother me.  I had just such a bad experience on my last Princess cruise I have not been back.  The only objection I have with what you said is the dining room photographer.  Perhaps it is just the HAL cruises (over 100 days at sea with HAL alone) that I have taken I have never seen photographers in the DR and only the sommelier comes to sell wine.   He will also take bar orders then then bar attendant takes over.    HAL got rid of the auctioneer but there is a sales gallery which I don't walk into.  

 

Let me add, I rarely take a cheap cruise.  I did those years ago and had a blast but now I am either checking off a bucket list item (30+ days) or am cruising instead of flying.  Perhaps because the bucket list cruises tend to be more pricey per night there is less sales pressure

Edited by Mary229
Link to post
Share on other sites

My "Thanks, but" works as I show the photographers my diamond card.  Probably using it this way and accessing the Guest Services priority line are the only way I demonstrate that "privilege".

 

What really gets me on Carnival is the incessant CD announcements promoting or hawking their activities "that you don't want to miss", like the inch of gold sale, etc.  I can always ignore or smile and walk by the spa salespeople, the art "contests", the specialty restaurant display (I already made my reservation) but it's much harder to escape the CD announcements in the ship's public spaces.

 

I sailed Carnival exclusively for many years and it was an eye opener when my ears weren't assailed by the constant and lengthy CD advertisements.  Other lines CD pronouncements are generally shorter and less frequent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think I might do a 2 or 3 day out of Galveston or New Orleans next year to get an idea of the new atmosphere. 

There are no 2 or 3 day options.  The only 4 day option out of NOLA is on the Valor and out of Galveston on the Breeze.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, Aplmac said:

Photographers are a real pain, even a blight

especially when you've already made up your mind

that you're not going to support the ripoff prices!

 

They are everywhere, but I never had a problem.  I just keep walking and say no thank you.  Works on the gang plank and everywhere else.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 9:41 AM, coloradocruiselover88 said:

I generally feel like the spa folks are pushy and even pushier at the end of your service to buy the products they used on (like after getting a facial) so I just tell them at the beginning I will not be purchasing any products so don't even try.

 

I've done the same and the have respected that.  I have also gone back and made a purchase.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if its been mentioned, but the last time I was on the Horizon January 2020 they discontinued the art auctions.  May only apply to the Horizon, I really don't know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, evandbob said:

My "Thanks, but" works as I show the photographers my diamond card.  Probably using it this way and accessing the Guest Services priority line are the only way I demonstrate that "privilege".

 

What really gets me on Carnival is the incessant CD announcements promoting or hawking their activities "that you don't want to miss", like the inch of gold sale, etc.  I can always ignore or smile and walk by the spa salespeople, the art "contests", the specialty restaurant display (I already made my reservation) but it's much harder to escape the CD announcements in the ship's public spaces.

 

I sailed Carnival exclusively for many years and it was an eye opener when my ears weren't assailed by the constant and lengthy CD advertisements.  Other lines CD pronouncements are generally shorter and less frequent.

 

Not to mention the announcements that wake you up when you are taking a nap in the afternoon or trying to sleep in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lilchuckie said:

 

Not to mention the announcements that wake you up when you are taking a nap in the afternoon or trying to sleep in.

Yikes.  Are all announcements made in the room. Usually the announcements made in the hall are barely heard , by me, at least. Regardless more than one or two a day is too much 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Are all announcements made in the room. Usually the announcements made in the hall are barely heard , by me, at least. Regardless more than one or two a day is too much 

 

Oh yes, the announcements.  On the Carnival cruises I've been on, I have found that everything about announcements (the amount, the volume, whether they're broadcast to the room, how well they can be heard if they're not broadcast to the room) depends on the ship, the cruise director, and the cabin - among other things.  Most cruises have had two announcements by 10 AM on sea days - earlier on port days (the first two on those days will usually be some variation of "welcome to (wherever we are)" and "you can get off the ship now").  And yes, many of the announcements do some hawking of goods and services.  I've mostly gotten used to them, but you may not like this part of Carnival much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Honolulu Blue well that should change.   I hope ever is filling out those review cards and blasting them.  Carnival, particularly with their festive environment, must realize a lot of people sleep in during the day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

Why is it so hard to say, “No, thank you”?

It works in Jamaica, the Bahamas, and on the ship.

I don’t want to spend my time being accosted.  I refer northern countries for just that reason.  I am considering Carnival for transatlantic not Caribbean.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, evandbob said:

My "Thanks, but" works as I show the photographers my diamond card.  Probably using it this way and accessing the Guest Services priority line are the only way I demonstrate that "privilege".

 

What really gets me on Carnival is the incessant CD announcements promoting or hawking their activities "that you don't want to miss", like the inch of gold sale, etc.  I can always ignore or smile and walk by the spa salespeople, the art "contests", the specialty restaurant display (I already made my reservation) but it's much harder to escape the CD announcements in the ship's public spaces.

 

I sailed Carnival exclusively for many years and it was an eye opener when my ears weren't assailed by the constant and lengthy CD advertisements.  Other lines CD pronouncements are generally shorter and less frequent.

Yes, All those annoying Announcements.

It's like we can't read The Fun Times or You The Carnival App, to plan our days & see what's coming up.

Like we are little Children.😡

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, whyrlygig said:

The spa is the only place I have felt pressured.  I have learned to write on my form "no sales pitch please".  That seems to work.  

Good suggestion.  Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Yes, All those annoying Announcements.

It's like we can't read The Fun Times or You The Carnival App, to plan our days & see what's coming up.

Like we are little Children.😡

I love the announcements by the Captain that needs an interpretation. Even the crew makes fun on his/her announcements.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Yikes.  Are all announcements made in the room. Usually the announcements made in the hall are barely heard , by me, at least. Regardless more than one or two a day is too much 

I've never experienced an announcement in the room (except their Muster call, IIRC, and the "get out of your cabin and off the ship, time to go home on that last day...)

 

If you are in your room and awake, you can hear them vaguely in the hallway, but never enough to wake me.  Maybe I just sleep too soundly.

 

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

I love the announcements by the Captain that needs an interpretation. Even the crew makes fun on his/her announcements.

Lol, yes.

 

As for feeling pressured by sales persons or photographers - nope, never, just say no thanks and carry on.  (We usually do get our photo taken, because why not?  If it turns out great we might buy it.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing has changed on Carnival as far as the hard sell since you have cruised. I have noticed that some cruise directors are much better at delivery than others and it comes off much less harsh. As far as the photographers, I have been saying the same thing I have said for 20 years. No pics please, this is not my wife. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the picture taking, which I just consider part of the cruise experience, the only sales pressure I have ever gotten was in the spa.  Which, is a bummer since you for there to relax.  I learned many cruises ago  that if I tell them at the beginning of my service that I will not be purchasing products, they let me be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, Aplmac said:

Photographers are a real pain, even a blight

especially when you've already made up your mind

that you're not going to support the ripoff prices!

For us, it has been the opposite.  We've had them take absolute ridiculous pictures for us, and have had a ball at it.  Me, standing looking off into the distance, while my wife kneels beside me, offering me a plate with a sandwich on it.  Another where I've got my leg up on the mock railing, eyeing the camera with an intense, smoldering look.  

 

We can tell which ones are everyone's favorites by the number of fingerprints on them.  It's been a hoot, and I'll always take advantage of free photography.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Don Kehote said:

For us, it has been the opposite.  We've had them take absolute ridiculous pictures for us, and have had a ball at it.  Me, standing looking off into the distance, while my wife kneels beside me, offering me a plate with a sandwich on it.  Another where I've got my leg up on the mock railing, eyeing the camera with an intense, smoldering look.  

 

We can tell which ones are everyone's favorites by the number of fingerprints on them.  It's been a hoot, and I'll always take advantage of free photography.

 

I'm so happy for you...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 7:27 PM, Theosprey247 said:

Why is it so hard to say, “No, thank you”?

It works in Jamaica, the Bahamas, and on the ship.

I tried saying "no thanks to the CD announcement, but it kept on going, like it didn't hear me.   HMMMMM........😄🙃😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...