A Formal Night Renaissance?

What to pack for a cruise - formal, casual and more | MyDiscoveries

I post this as a question. We've gone a year with many of us sitting at home in our sweats or pajamas doing endless Zoom meetings in T-shirts. I feel that there could be complete 180 on the desire to do away with (or scale down) formal nights. Now, I personally cannot wait to put on a tux, socialize with other people, and "class it up." Formal nights seem more special and timely now.

Do you think passengers will be more receptive to formal nights now after the sea change we all just endured?

Parallel question that might influence the answer — how many of us still fit into our formalwear since the start of the pandemic?  :classic_unsure::classic_blush:😳 

Vince

I agree.  We like to dress "fashionably" -- but formal is not for us.

It is possible to look amazing without a tux and ballgown

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Parallel question that might influence the answer — how many of us still fit into our formalwear since the start of the pandemic?  :classic_unsure::classic_blush:😳 

Vince

Good question Vince 🤣.

After three weeks of smart casual on a ship, I think I do prefer no formal nights and to travel light. 

Ivi

They won’t have a formal optional night on the 7 day or less cruises in the Bahamas if they apply their policy that was in place pre Covid

Of course one can choose to wear formal attire any time they like if that takes their fancy...

I actually first had the reaction that Vince did.  Will everyone fit into their attire and if not do they really want to go out and buy more of it?  😀

While I like Black Tie Optional Nights weaingr formal attire is not in my top 10 (even 25 list) of things I am missing right now.

Rather, I am missing things like seeing family, cruising, touring, other traveling, dining, etc. etc.

I liked your photo but wondering was it missing something?  

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

When I was reading my information I noticed something about a “white night” evening where guests are asked to wear white.  Sounds like the Azamara “white nights”.  That’s fun until I spill some red wine on myself.

13 minutes ago, cruisr said:

When I was reading my information I noticed something about a “white night” evening where guests are asked to wear white.  Sounds like the Azamara “white nights”.  That’s fun until I spill some red wine on myself.

Don't worry, it's totally optional. Lots of people don't wear white. The decor for the evening is white and they offer themed white cocktails.

25 minutes ago, cruisr said:

I just wanted to add the way it's been explained by Robin and others who sail Azamara is it is different than what they do.  For example no outside buffet or a dinner with the white night theme.

It is more of a mixer held in the Crystal Plaza with the band on hand and dancing.  How many wear white varies by cruise and familiarity with the night. 

I am thinking they won't offer it on these new sets of voyages given social distancing and there won't be Ambassador Hosts who are there to dance with solo guests who would like to dance.  Ironically, this being the Bahamas and Summertime a lot of guests might actually have white clothing with them.  😀

Keith

7 hours ago, Flash G said:

Do you think passengers will be more receptive to formal nights now after the sea change we all just endured?

Bucking the trend here, I’m with you on wanting a formal night.  The Bahamas voyages are too short and people will likely want to pack light, but as cruising restarts in earnest on longer voyages I’m wanting the special ambiance that goes along with it. 

9 hours ago, Flash G said:

What to pack for a cruise - formal, casual and more | MyDiscoveries

I post this as a question. We've gone a year with many of us sitting at home in our sweats or pajamas doing endless Zoom meetings in T-shirts. I feel that there could be complete 180 on the desire to do away with (or scale down) formal nights. Now, I personally cannot wait to put on a tux, socialize with other people, and "class it up." Formal nights seem more special and timely now.

Oh yes certainly from us here in the UK ... wouldn't dream of anything less then dressing for dinner .. don't know why it's always a issue for people USA .. etc to find this alien for them ...( Sorry not just USA even some here in the UK😞)  my husband always dresses for dinner even on casual nights jacket & tie ..what's so wrong in going to dinner dressed...

No it's so sad to hear from you that you find dressing for dinner is not your thing!!! But I've just seen lots of interest from the posts that yes bring it on dressing for dinner is here to stay...  I first started cruising on royal Caribbean cruise line in 1989 & wow  7 nights Caribbean  very body dressed even long gowns ..so amazing...we can all do causal anytime at home or when we're on the Mediterranean .. let's keep certain standards !!! I'm going to be shot down in flames I know 😞👔💗

9 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

You beat me to it 🙂

7 hours ago, bitob said:

I agree.  We like to dress "fashionably" -- but formal is not for us.

It is possible to look amazing without a tux and ballgown

Yes can agree to some degree... But what's amazing my I ask ?? Oh this thread has opened up a whole can of worms!!!🙏

2 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

You beat me to it 🙂

Well we will just have to buy new... Not been spending any money here in the UK since march last year.. not been able to go out to dinner .travel etc as you in the USA have enjoyed...

2 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Bucking the trend here, I’m with you on wanting a formal night.  The Bahamas voyages are too short and people will likely want to pack light, but as cruising restarts in earnest on longer voyages I’m wanting the special ambiance that goes along with it. 

Formal formal gets my vote ..👔🍾🍾🚢💉😷🙏

Just now, Lvshack said:

Well we will just have to buy new... Not been spending any money here in the UK since march last year.. not been able to go out to dinner .travel etc as you in the USA have enjoyed...

We haven't either in Vancouver, I've not worn heels or pants other than leggings in over a year. I do look forward to dressing up again. As for spending money, I've found plenty of ways to do that 😉

14 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

We haven't either in Vancouver, I've not worn heels or pants other than leggings in over a year. I do look forward to dressing up again. As for spending money, I've found plenty of ways to do that 😉

Oh Claudia please keep that to yourself !!! My husband can't believe the credit card statements!!!! Nothing on mine..no hairdresser, pedicure,wax& nails etc  ..I'm so overdue ,can't wait until are first phase of  comming out of lockdown in April..hair,pedi, nails top of the list ... cancelled 3 holidays already fo2021( silversea) and we didn't get to do family holiday with crystal last sept 😞 so have moved to April 2022 Athens & the holy land ...

My husband will still dress for dinner... enclosed photo of him on last night ( causal) on silversea sept 2019!!👔

IMG_20191007_194530.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Oh Claudia please keep that to yourself !!! My husband can't believe the credit card statements!!!! Nothing on mine..no hairdresser, pedicure,wax& nails etc  ..I'm so overdue ,can't wait until are first phase of  comming out of lockdown in April..hair,pedi, nails top of the list ... cancelled 3 holidays already fo2021( silversea) and we didn't get to do family holiday with crystal last sept 😞 so have moved to April 2022 Athens & the holy land ...

My husband will still dress for dinner... enclosed photo of him on last night ( causal) on silversea sept 2019!!👔

I have a 16 month old grandson (my first) and I've become a daily Amazon user 🙂

We've done ALL of the assorted dress codes and can deal with all of them. Cunard's dress code thread is the most militant, with most folks on the side of dressing up and over at Regent, it's basically "country club smart". For me, if I've got a lot of sea time, I love dressing up. Port intensive (and very warm weather, re:Bahamas)) and short cruises, not so much. If you love to dress for dinner, please do so and don't hesitate, but on these little short Bahamas hops, I doubt we'll bring tuxs, gowns, all the shoes, stockings, etc. I also promise not to show up in sneakers, tee shirts shorts or exposed bellys for dinner!

10 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

We've done ALL of the assorted dress codes and can deal with all of them. Cunard's dress code thread is the most militant, with most folks on the side of dressing up and over at Regent, it's basically "country club smart". For me, if I've got a lot of sea time, I love dressing up. Port intensive (and very warm weather, re:Bahamas)) and short cruises, not so much. If you love to dress for dinner, please do so and don't hesitate, but on these little short Bahamas hops, I doubt we'll bring tuxs, gowns, all the shoes, stockings, etc. I also promise not to show up in sneakers, tee shirts shorts or exposed bellys for dinner!

Oh stockings oh la la  !!!those were the days!!! I'm sure you would never show up in sneakers or expose your belly at dinner.. gosh that's why we sail with crystal.silversea etc...😎