A Formal Night Renaissance?

Flash G

15 hours ago, Lvshack said:

Oh yes certainly from us here in the UK ... wouldn't dream of anything less then dressing for dinner .. don't know why it's always a issue for people USA .. etc to find this alien for them ...( Sorry not just USA even some here in the UK😞)  my husband always dresses for dinner even on casual nights jacket & tie ..what's so wrong in going to dinner dressed...

Agree 100%. Some of the funnest, most entertaining nights we’ve had at sea were the formal nights. Just a different vibe and feeling when everyone is dressed up.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

I haven't used makeup in so long I've probably forgotten how to apply it! But we would welcome the dressing up of a formal night now and then.

Likely past its expiration date.  Toss it!

Edited by bitob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Years ago I booked our first cruise together for my wife's big birthday. I had a choice between Silverseas or Crystal. I knew nothing about either one. I did not want to go on a cruise. I would have paid someone to go in my stead, like in the civil war.

Crystal had the itinerary so I booked it. I discovered they had something called formal nights. I had to make a special trip to Men's Warehouse. I had no dress up clothes at all.

Three days into the cruise and I believe I called the Crystal fashion police because one of the cruisers was wearing a yellow suit instead of a dignified dark outfit like mine. I was aghast. I had been converted.

35 or so Crystal cruise later, I think formal nights are a good idea. I don't need to be the same person every night of the week. I know it is hard to pack. I know it is artificial. I also know human beings need ceremony and pomp. It does not make sense, but there you go.

• Like 8

I've never worn formal wear on a cruise, and got rid of the sports jackets a few years ago as well when the cruise lines stopped requiring them. That said, I do enjoy the spectacle of seeing those who enjoy dressing up dining and dancing and gallivanting. It reminds me of watching my parents from the staircase when I was a kid. So let those seams out and bring out your sparkliest gear. 

• Like 3

On my first luxury cruise in 1990 you were not even entitled to enter the dining room with bermuda shorts during lunchtime  - Vistafjord Cunard June 1990 -  and jacket compulsory every dinner even the first and the last one however without a tie on those 2 days

Is all that formality now gone  ? - not on Cunard or the British Saga for sure  - even people wearing medals  on the tux.  

my most informal experience so far was on the Crystal Esprit .

We would love the opportunity to dress up! It doesn’t feel like a vacation unless we make the effort every night. The constant drift to baseline casual just doesn’t feel special. Table manners tend to follow, in our experience, and that’s a shame!  😊 

• Like 1

We avoided cruising with Crystal for many years  based on Formal nights and Fixed Seating dining.  When they went to more casual dress code, we tried it and were hooked.  Thrilled that they went to opening seating dining. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We avoided cruising with Crystal for many years  based on Formal nights and Fixed Seating dining.  When they went to more casual dress code, we tried it and were hooked.  Thrilled that they went to opening seating dining. 

Absolutely. I think that they currently have it spot on !! The management of the MDR is also excellently handled. Another reason to love Crystal😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Absolutely. I think that they currently have it spot on !! The management of the MDR is also excellently handled. Another reason to love Crystal😀

Which probably explains why I have never seen Colin in a tux nor Steph sporting a Tiffany gown and matching tiara.

Equally I have never seen either of them trying to sneak past the maitre 'd wearing baseball caps!

• Like 1

I am extremely happy with elegant/country club casual.  I really do not like to dress fancy schmancy.  If what I wear to my very expensive dues Country Club is good enough it should be good enough for Crystal.  I have seen people act like completely uncouth jerks even though they are dressed in black tie.  Clothes do NOT make the man (woman).  It is the person, not the clothes.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 3:13 PM, Lvshack said:

Oh yes certainly from us here in the UK ... wouldn't dream of anything less then dressing for dinner .. don't know why it's always a issue for people USA .. etc to find this alien for them ...( Sorry not just USA even some here in the UK😞)  my husband always dresses for dinner even on casual nights jacket & tie ..what's so wrong in going to dinner dressed...

I'm with you. I am an American and I still dress up to go out to dinner.

• Like 4

Being "dressed up" in formal attire doesn't mean everyone looks good.  Sorry folks.

25 year old ill-fitting tuxes and old "bar mitzvah" or "mother of the bride" dresses don't please the eyes.

Of course, some people look smashing in formal attire.  It's just not a guarantee of "elegance."

I just like to see people well dressed.  Formal is no guarantee of that.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Chip1966 said:

I'm with you. I am an American and I still dress up to go out to dinner.

I'm pleased to hear that chip 1966!!! By the way have you ever sailed silversea???

7 minutes ago, bitob said:

Being "dressed up" in formal attire doesn't mean everyone looks good.  Sorry folks.

25 year old ill-fitting tuxes and old "bar mitzvah" or "mother of the bride" dresses don't please the eyes.

Of course, some people look smashing in formal attire.  It's just not a guarantee of "elegance."

I just like to see people well dressed.  Formal is no guarantee of that.

Quite agree bitbob but my input is just purely about wanting to feel nice & dressed for dinner ( maybe English old  fashion !!) But really evening attire has come along way from your preseption of formal!!! It's seems to me that it's a bigger issue for people not wanting to dress then those who do !! ( I'm ready for the fireing squad!!!) 😉👔

• Like 1

Now I know things are getting back to normal around here.

For close to one year most of the threads and discussion was about COVID-19.

Isn't it nice to now be discussing formal attire.

Next we will be discussing some wanting to go back to the days of chocolate on the bed at night. You know, pillow chocolate.

Or Caviar anytime you want it.

Or specialty restaurant fees.

Or maybe we'l hear about smoke coming from the back of the ship.

It's great to be back to normal.  Well, some type of normal.  Oh those were the days.

Keith

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Now I know things are getting back to normal around here.

For close to one year most of the threads and discussion was about COVID-19.

Isn't it nice to now be discussing formal attire.

Next we will be discussing some wanting to go back to the days of chocolate on the bed at night. You know, pillow chocolate.

Or Caviar anytime you want it.

Or specialty restaurant fees.

Or maybe we'l hear about smoke coming from the back of the ship.

It's great to be back to normal.  Well, some type of normal.  Oh those were the days.

Keith

How about some really oldies, wastebasket doilies and bedside mats?? 😲😏🙄

Patty

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 3/27/2021 at 5:33 PM, Noggins said:

Which probably explains why I have never seen Colin in a tux nor Steph sporting a Tiffany gown and matching tiara.

Equally I have never seen either of them trying to sneak past the maitre 'd wearing baseball caps!

How dare you....I always wear my DJ on BTO nights. No doubt all those bubbles affected your eyesight🤣. As for the boss, glad she does not see these boards.

Of course, you and yours are always dressed to the nines ( even during the day by the pool !!) and put the rest of us to shame...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

How dare you....

Oh lordy - look what I've done.... And now I realise it is me who no longer takes a DJ on a cruise. At least I remembered it was one of us!

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Bring back the round soap!

What, Crystal only has square soap? Heavens, the low to which we have fallen!