Lake Como hotel recommendation

bobalink

We are planning a pre-cruise visit to several areas in Italy prior to our cruise in June 2022.

We would like to spend a few days at Lake Como.

I am hoping some of you seasoned travelers can recommend a hotel at Lake Como. 

Thank you!

On 3/21/2021 at 11:23 PM, bobalink said:

We are planning a pre-cruise visit to several areas in Italy prior to our cruise in June 2022.

We would like to spend a few days at Lake Como.

I am hoping some of you seasoned travelers can recommend a hotel at Lake Como. 

Thank you!

Have a liking for

https://www.grandhotelmenaggio.com/en/index

it’s just a nice place to stay

Never known of it before my company booked it for business.  But liked it so much, have stayed there for private holidays.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

Lake Como is actually a pretty large lake so I think one has to deal with the issue on where to stay.  Personally we have preferred Bellagio where there are quite a few decent hotels in different price ranges...so much would depend on your budget.  One fun thing about staying in Bellagio was driving (we always have a rental or leased car in Italy) was driving the very windy narrow road along the lake from just north of Como all the way to Bellagio.   That SP583 route does offer some nice views, but the drive is certainly a challenge.  When we made the return drive we opted for the much better (but boring) inland route.  The advantage to being in Bellagio is the multiple eating venues.  If you isolate yourself somewhere along the Lake far from a city your eating options shrink or you are stuck having to drive back after dinner (not my style since I prefer to drink wine with dinner without worrying about DUI).

Hank

• Like 1

I looked up the hotel, no longer a best western, it’s the  Grand Hotel Imperiale Resort & Spa in Moltrasio.  It’s a lovely hotel right on the lake.   Ferries leave nearby as well to shorten those drives. 

Hank, makes me giggle,  years ago we were looking for a restaurant other than at the hotel in the small village, all we heard were locals using cutlery as we walked around.  Many restaurants in Cernobbio.  We also stayed in Varenna at a Rick Steve’s recommended hotel, for the last time.  We had sprung for a lake view room to find the balcony unusable due to the loudness of other visitors.  Although we had a first hand view of the water bombers filling up in the lake.  

We also have enjoyed Lugano and  Desenzano del Garda.    

Edited by bennybear

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I looked up the hotel, no longer a best western, it’s the  Grand Hotel Imperiale Resort & Spa in Moltrasio.  It’s a lovely hotel right on the lake.   Ferries leave nearby as well to shorten those drives. 

Hank, makes me giggle,  years ago we were looking for a restaurant other than at the hotel in the small village, all we heard were locals using cutlery as we walked around.  Many restaurants in Cernobbio.  We also stayed in Varenna at a Rick Steve’s recommended hotel, for the last time.  We had sprung for a lake view room to find the balcony unusable due to the loudness of other visitors.  Although we had a first hand view of the water bombers filling up in the lake.  

We also have enjoyed Lugano and  Desenzano del Garda.    

Enjoyed your story :).   I should have mentioned in my other post that we also have enjoyed Lake Maggiore (and Stresa).  While Como certainly has the name recognition there is a lot to say for visiting Maggiore.  DW and I have loved our many trips to Italy and look forward to getting past this darn COVID mess so we can again return.

Hank

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Enjoyed your story :).   I should have mentioned in my other post that we also have enjoyed Lake Maggiore (and Stresa).  While Como certainly has the name recognition there is a lot to say for visiting Maggiore.  DW and I have loved our many trips to Italy and look forward to getting past this darn COVID mess so we can again return.

Hank

Can’t wait either!  Often we enjoy the no name places more!  Loved Garda,  maybe Orte next time?  The gardens on Maggiore are gorgeous!  

On 3/23/2021 at 11:35 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Have a liking for

https://www.grandhotelmenaggio.com/en/index

it’s just a nice place to stay

Never known of it before my company booked it for business.  But liked it so much, have stayed there for private holidays.

Thank you, very much, for providing the link. It looks like a lovely hotel. 

On 3/23/2021 at 3:31 PM, Hlitner said:

Lake Como is actually a pretty large lake so I think one has to deal with the issue on where to stay.  Personally we have preferred Bellagio where there are quite a few decent hotels in different price ranges...so much would depend on your budget.  One fun thing about staying in Bellagio was driving (we always have a rental or leased car in Italy) was driving the very windy narrow road along the lake from just north of Como all the way to Bellagio.   That SP583 route does offer some nice views, but the drive is certainly a challenge.  When we made the return drive we opted for the much better (but boring) inland route.  The advantage to being in Bellagio is the multiple eating venues.  If you isolate yourself somewhere along the Lake far from a city your eating options shrink or you are stuck having to drive back aftr dinner (not my style since I prefer to drink wine with dinner without worrying about DUI).

Hank

Thank you, Hank. I appreciate your informative response. We do plan to rent a car and tour the area, and I look forward to seeing Bellagio.

On 3/23/2021 at 3:55 PM, bennybear said:

Thank you, bennybear. I appreciate the recommendation. I looked at their website and it looks wonderful! 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/23/2021 at 5:31 PM, Hlitner said:

Lake Como is actually a pretty large lake so I think one has to deal with the issue on where to stay.  Personally we have preferred Bellagio where there are quite a few decent hotels in different price ranges...so much would depend on your budget.  One fun thing about staying in Bellagio was driving (we always have a rental or leased car in Italy) was driving the very windy narrow road along the lake from just north of Como all the way to Bellagio.   That SP583 route does offer some nice views, but the drive is certainly a challenge.  When we made the return drive we opted for the much better (but boring) inland route.  The advantage to being in Bellagio is the multiple eating venues.  If you isolate yourself somewhere along the Lake far from a city your eating options shrink or you are stuck having to drive back after dinner (not my style since I prefer to drink wine with dinner without worrying about DUI).

Hank

Hank, hope you are still reading comments on this topic!  We will be traveling from the Milan MXP airport to Bellagio, with 6 adults and LOTS of luggage! Do you have any insight on transfer services (availability and price range) all the way to Bellagio (and back 6 days later)? Would it be possible to rent a vehicle large enough for our group as an alternative, and would driving on the inland road be manageable? We do have parking available where we are staying. Thanks!

Desenzano del Garda.

It isn't Lake Como, but Lake Garda, but for anyone reading this and looking for a base for Garda as opposed to Como, this is a good one as there is a train station, buses and ferries to both "sides" of the lake. And multiple hotels and guest houses.

We stayed a week there and visited pretty Verona twice in that week so a nice mix of lake and city sightseeing.

Como

We also stayed for a week in a villa owned by friends which was midway between Como and Bellagio which was served by local buses and ferries, although they didn't all stop there.  I would suggest a hotel in a location which offers options for dining other than the hotel itself. 

Would Como itself be an option?

Plenty hotel reviews can be found on Tripadvisor and other review sites, so once you decide location, check reviews to help you decide on a hotel.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 2:16 AM, edinburgher said:

Desenzano del Garda.

It isn't Lake Como, but Lake Garda, but for anyone reading this and looking for a base for Garda as opposed to Como, this is a good one as there is a train station, buses and ferries to both "sides" of the lake. And multiple hotels and guest houses.

We stayed a week there and visited pretty Verona twice in that week so a nice mix of lake and city sightseeing.

Como

We also stayed for a week in a villa owned by friends which was midway between Como and Bellagio which was served by local buses and ferries, although they didn't all stop there.  I would suggest a hotel in a location which offers options for dining other than the hotel itself. 

Would Como itself be an option?

Plenty hotel reviews can be found on Tripadvisor and other review sites, so once you decide location, check reviews to help you decide on a hotel.

We really enjoyed Desenzano as well.  We got there easily by train and rented a car.  Felt dinner was absolutely magical. Always worth exploring the lesser known places. 

• Like 1