Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, julig22 said:

I'm thinking that there is a difference between the 10% discount coupon that they were issuing (to be used on a future, more expensive cruise, and then decided would only be one to a customer) - and a 10% fcc that the newest cancellation letter mentioned.  Sounds like they are giving you FCC based on the fare for your cancelled cruise, not 10% toward something new.

 

 

 

If they aren't giving 10% off the new booking cost then the same rules are likely to apply to when they previously gave a 25% FCC at the start of the pandemic.  Since the current round of cancellations is outside of final payment I'm expecting the benefit for most people is limited to 10% of cash/CruiseNext deposits used to hold the booking (just $25 for most sailings with a $250 deposit).

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sstn said:

If they aren't giving 10% off the new booking cost then the same rules are likely to apply to when they previously gave a 25% FCC at the start of the pandemic.  Since the current round of cancellations is outside of final payment I'm expecting the benefit for most people is limited to 10% of cash/CruiseNext deposits used to hold the booking (just $25 for most sailings with a $250 deposit).

That thought has crossed my mind.  Time will tell!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pghflyer said:

Thanks for sharing what you heard - I believe you are saying the 10% discount (not FCC) can only be given/ used once right?

The only 10% offers I have received were identified as "a 10% discount in the form of a Future Cruise Credit" in the formal apology/cancellation email attachment from NCL.   I've received two (both this year).  The letter I received when they cancelled my May 2020 cruise only offered the 125% FCC in lieu of refund.  I chose the refund.  Look at your official .pdf cruise confirmation from NCL.  Most now list DISC30 under the promo codes in the upper right hand corner.  The one that I got the 10% real discount on (Hawaii May 2022) also lists DISC10.  I believe that this is how they track the 10% off in their system (whatever form it takes) and I don't believe anybody can use it more than once.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So frustrating.  We had a 10% issued on October following the cancelation of a cruise on Jade, used it when we booked Jade Athens to Dubai.  Subsequently booked Barcelona to Athens...not 10% discount applied. The second was canceled and we got a second letter offering a 10% discount on a future cruise.  Booked a TA on the Pearl that requires us to fly from Dubai to Rome.  NCL is refusing to honor the March cancelation and will NOT apply it to the new booking.  Makes no sense.  Our travel agent is getting nowhere. .she's great and has booked NCL for us for over 20 years.  Platinum Plus.  Suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProfessorMA said:

So frustrating.  We had a 10% issued on October following the cancelation of a cruise on Jade, used it when we booked Jade Athens to Dubai.  Subsequently booked Barcelona to Athens...not 10% discount applied. The second was canceled and we got a second letter offering a 10% discount on a future cruise.  Booked a TA on the Pearl that requires us to fly from Dubai to Rome.  NCL is refusing to honor the March cancelation and will NOT apply it to the new booking.  Makes no sense.  Our travel agent is getting nowhere. .she's great and has booked NCL for us for over 20 years.  Platinum Plus.  Suggestions?

It’s too late 10% discount apply.
 

New strategy for me:

New booking, don’t 10% discount applied now, wait 120/60 (final payment due dated) and decision discount applied.  I am dumb, new booking, 10% discount applied, cancel for NCL (October 2021), lost for 10% discount.  Yes, no sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My original "10% off" and cruisenexts are back in the account today.

I called NCL about the "10% thing" and the rep said it's 10% off the new cruise....no additional 10% FCC for money paid.

So, I'm back to where I was....all's good.  I don't have to downgrade "based on principle".

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Back to school said:

It’s too late 10% discount apply.
 

New strategy for me:

New booking, don’t 10% discount applied now, wait 120/60 (final payment due dated) and decision discount applied.  I am dumb, new booking, 10% discount applied, cancel for NCL (October 2021), lost for 10% discount.  Yes, no sense.

What happens if the cost of the cruise increases before the final payment due date?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

My original "10% off" and cruisenexts are back in the account today.

I called NCL about the "10% thing" and the rep said it's 10% off the new cruise....no additional 10% FCC for money paid.

So, I'm back to where I was....all's good.  I don't have to downgrade "based on principle".

That's what happened with me.  It was 10% off the new cruise (which in my case was a more expensive cruise).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptainHazelwood said:

What happens if the cost of the cruise increases before the final payment due date?

Your price is locked when you book and pay the deposit.  If it increases, you can be happy you booked early.  If it goes down before final payment, you can rebook at the lower price.  If it goes down after final payment, you can do a one-time renegotiation for obc or an upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Your price is locked when you book and pay the deposit.  If it increases, you can be happy you booked early.  If it goes down before final payment, you can rebook at the lower price.  If it goes down after final payment, you can do a one-time renegotiation for obc or an upgrade.

I understand all of that, but my question was relative to the application of the 10% discount.  I have evidence that attempting to apply that discount after prices increase will only save money to the extent that new price minus 10% is less than original booked price.  Actual case.  Price of cabin for DW and I was same as at booking, so we saved a whole 10%.  DD's cabin had increased, so she saved some money but less than 10%.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing how such a simple concept of a 10% off certificate can become so convoluted and confusing from a poorly written notice.  The notice calls for a 10% discount, but does not specify 10% of what number: price of canceled cruise, amount already paid on that cruise, price of future cruise, etc.  (MsTabbyKats indicates she spoke to NCL and was assured it's 10% off the price of the future cruise. Thanks TABBY)

 

The gist of this thread seems to be, for an uncertain reason(s), that only one such 10% off can be listed on an individual's account.  Apparently my PCC is very good at what she does.  I had two cruises (back to back) canceled on the Joy.  When I signed into my account to verify the 10% off, I found only one discount.   Signed into my bride's account, and presto the second 10% is peacefully resting there.  Problem solved by PCC before I knew there was a problem.  Thanks PCC.

 

My concern is applying a 10% off to a future cruise, only to have that cruise canceled as well.  I worry that in such a case my 10% off would disappear faster than the babysitter’s boyfriend when the car pulls up.    I like BACK TO SCHOOL 's thinking -  don’t apply the 10% discount now, wait for the final payment due date  120/60  when (hopefully) the fate of that cruise will be more certain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Captain_Cruising said:

 

My concern is applying a 10% off to a future cruise, only to have that cruise canceled as well.  I worry that in such a case my 10% off would disappear faster than the babysitter’s boyfriend when the car pulls up.    I like BACK TO SCHOOL 's thinking -  don’t apply the 10% discount now, wait for the final payment due date  120/60  when (hopefully) the fate of that cruise will be more certain.

My thinking is this:  Let's say you apply the FCC to a future cruise, and that cruise is canceled...then the replacement FCC has an extended "must use by" date.

My cruise was canceled (I forget which one) and I got an FCC.  I applied it to the Oct 2021 cruise...which was canceled.  The FCC I received was now valid for a year from the cancellation of the 10/21 cruise...but still only good for bookings until 12/31/22.  So I booked a 1/2022 cruise.

Let's say my newly booked cruise is canceled sometime during 10/21.  Theoretically, my new replacement FCC would be good from 10/21-10/22.  In addition...there is the possibility that the "valid for dates of sailing thru" could be extended.

 

Of course I'm talking about "one booking at a time" without paying any additional money....not multiple bookings with deposits due. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Captain_Cruising said:

The gist of this thread seems to be, for an uncertain reason(s), that only one such 10% off can be listed on an individual's account. 

FCC and 10% discount are different but are intertwined in this thread. FCC is a specific $ amount in your account, 10% credit would be an amount tbd when you book a new cruise.  It appears that NCL is changing back to FCC for cruises that are being cancelled now.  If you booked a cruise using a 10% coupon, the coupon plus any FCC you might have used, should go back to your account.  It sounds as if there isn't any additional FCC if you had a certificate.

I don't believe having a 10% coupon in your account and in you wife's account is the same as having 2 certificates in your account.  Most likely you will find when you rebook, you use your 10% on your fare, her 10% on hers.

The question about multiples is on that ability to have more than one available if you had multiple bookings.  I had 2 certificates from 2 cancelled cruises (got absolutely nothing from 3rd cruise) and they are "in use" for late 2021/early 2022 cruises.  I'd hate to see one or both of those go away if those cruises are also cancelled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went through the rebooking process (again) yesterday. In my case I had my original fully paid fare +25% FCC for my April 2020 cruise that was cancelled in March in the first wave of Covid cancellations. For my cruise on the Jade that was just cancelled, I received a 10% discount on the new booking.

 

The only problem I have is every time I have to rebook the value of my dollars and FCC is reduced because prices are up and the cruises that got cancelled had significant OBC attached. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

So I used my "10% OFF discount on your next cruise with us" yesterday.  This comes off the base fare ONLY (what is displayed on the website under dates and prices) and doesn't apply to any taxes/ port fees/ service charges/ airfare/ ground transportation.

 

I also had the problem where I couldn't apply my spouse's half of the certificate online and had to have the agent do it over the phone.  Other than that, it worked fine.

 

I do wonder how it will work if we decide to move up to higher room category - will the full 10% come off of our new base fare?  I am a little worried because on the booking confirmation the 10% comes right out of the "guest fare" with no indication it was discounted (ex. our base fare online was $900 but just says $810 on our confirmation).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm. So is the rule that they will only ever issue you a single 10% coupon due to COVID era cancellations.......or that they will only allow one of those to exist in your account at a time.........or none of the above?

 

While the wording of the NCL document is not as clear as it could be; it is NCL after all, the piece I have bolded above is correct I believe.

 

I also wonder that if a couple have 2 cruises cancelled that a 10% certificate is put on each person's account.   I am sure that happened to us a year ago when we had two cancelled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, casofilia said:

Hmmm. So is the rule that they will only ever issue you a single 10% coupon due to COVID era cancellations.......or that they will only allow one of those to exist in your account at a time.........or none of the above?

 

While the wording of the NCL document is not as clear as it could be; it is NCL after all, the piece I have bolded above is correct I believe.

 

I also wonder that if a couple have 2 cruises cancelled that a 10% certificate is put on each person's account.   I am sure that happened to us a year ago when we had two cancelled

Despite the wording that implies you would get a coupon if you don't have an unused coupon in your account, you don't get another one, even if you've applied one or more to future booked cruises.  I guess their definition of used doesn't include applied to a future cruise.

 

From what I've gathered, each person gets the 10% but it's used for that person's fare, not both people on the booking.  Some people will have multiple certificates because they originally gave you one for each cancelled cruise - but stopped doing that at some point - probably because people were booking knowing that they were going to get cancelled and wanted the discount.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Despite the wording that implies you would get a coupon if you don't have an unused coupon in your account, you don't get another one, even if you've applied one or more to future booked cruises.  I guess their definition of used doesn't include applied to a future cruise.

 

From what I've gathered, each person gets the 10% but it's used for that person's fare, not both people on the booking.  Some people will have multiple certificates because they originally gave you one for each cancelled cruise - but stopped doing that at some point - probably because people were booking knowing that they were going to get cancelled and wanted the discount.  

I was told that until the cruise you have applied it has sailed, it is not “used” it has just been “applied”.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had two showing in my account at one point, but after having one applied (it took a phone call), the other one disappeared.  It's just NCL website weirdness, which we see from time to time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that didn't last long...........when they return a 10% discount from a cancelled cruise to your account, do they extend it to the timeframe they are giving to others getting a new discount certificate for that cancelled cruise or does the returned certificate keep the old expiration date?  Surely they don't give you back something that has little utility left since you made a good faith effort to use it and they are the reason it is being returned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When we booked our last cruise ( which just got canceled) We used a perk NCL was giving latitudes members 20% off. We got our FCC's back yesterday along with the 25% bonus plus 10% discount for a future cruise. I guess the 20% off is lost forever LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

When we booked our last cruise ( which just got canceled) We used a perk NCL was giving latitudes members 20% off.  I guess the 20% off is lost forever LOL.

Isn't the current deal 30% off?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at the time it was an ADDITIONAL 20% for latitude members off the sale prices if I recall it correctly. I kind of view that as just an additional "sale" at the time that may not be expected to be retained after cancellation.

 

I did just have my Gem cancelled and they didn't return my 10% certificate.....so nothing like kicking you while you are down! If I had 2 reservations with 2 10% discounts applied last night, and they decide to cancel 1 on their own, I should get it back.

 

I wrote in to make sure it wasn't a misunderstanding or system problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...