CDC denies cruise sector's request to lift US sailing restrictions

mnocket

23 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Conditional Sail Order to remain in place until November 2021.

I'm growing increasingly disappointed in the CDC.

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/cdc-denies-cruise-sectors-request-to-lift-us-sailing-restrictions-by-july/2-1-986849

I, on the other hand, am happy to have someone watching out for us.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

there will be cruises from US ports before 11/1/21 - CDC will cave at some point

Thank you, I feel so much better knowing you’re on the case.  Could you please share the source of your wisdom.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Thank you, I feel so much better knowing you’re on the case.  Could you please share the source of your wisdom.  

Follow the Money ... always Follow the Money ... and Disney out of Port Canaveral 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Follow the Money ... always Follow the Money ... and Disney out of Port Canaveral 

Disney CEO stated that he doesn't expect cruises to start till late fall and even if the CDC did change there mind in June or July it would be a few months after that before Princess would be ready to sail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

7 day cruise on 7/3/21 has a final payment date of 4/4/21

I'm booked on this, and the 3rd is our anniversary

I still have hopes that it will sale, but they are dimming day by day.

We made our final payment this week.

Several on our roll call mentioned getting emails from Princess reminding them of the upcoming payment due date. One person has already cancelled, and another shared his paperwork noting a May 1, due date. He booked directly with Princess. I had my TA try to get us the May 1 due date as well, but Customer Relations said, "no".

This is some kind of payback to the State of Florida.  Just think of all the hotels, air, taxi's, dining, suppliers of goods and other services that support the cruise industry.  This is pure politics and nothing elsel.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

** "On October 30, 2020, CDC issued Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO) that remains in effect until November 1, 2021," the CDC told TradeWinds in an email on Wednesday. **

The CDC issued the "framework" before the approval of the vaccine was approved. We now have 130 million vaccinated and 30 million more who've been infected. That means half the country should have levels of immunity and by July we should be over 260,000,000 vaccinated or a level of immunity. Time to adjust those timelines and frameworks.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TitanSMES said:

This is some kind of payback to the State of Florida.  Just think of all the hotels, air, taxi's, dining, suppliers of goods and other services that support the cruise industry.  This is pure politics and nothing elsel.  

This is pure speculation. Florida isn't the only state that ships sail out of.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, TitanSMES said:

A few facts

The cruise industry economic impact on the state of Florida is about 7.7 billion according to Florida 2020-2024 Port Plan. 

Florida's over all GDP is 883 billion so the impact of the cruise industry is less than 1% of the states economy.

While this seems like a large number the impact of cargo ports on Florida is about 86.6  Billion more than 10 times the impact of cruise industry.

When it comes to tourism land based tourism is far more than the cruise industry.  Tourists in Florida spent more than 90 billion in 2017, resulting in 13.3 billion in Federal Tax revenue and 11.4 billion is state and local tax revenue.

If someone thought that going after the cruise industry was a way to really penalize Florida they picked a pretty more way to do it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

** "On October 30, 2020, CDC issued Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO) that remains in effect until November 1, 2021," the CDC told TradeWinds in an email on Wednesday. **

The CDC issued the "framework" before the approval of the vaccine was approved. We now have 130 million vaccinated and 30 million more who've been infected. That means half the country should have levels of immunity and by July we should be over 260,000,000 vaccinated or a level of immunity. Time to adjust those timelines and frameworks.

However we still have a disease incidence level that is almost as high as when the frameworks were issued.

We have several variants that are circulating within the US that were not identified when the frame work was issued.

We are doing vaccinations, but it will only be after the actual vaccination impact is demonstrated, and the incidence rate is reduced considerably that it will really be time to modify the frameworks.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

The CDC has lost its way.  They have become a political organization, no longer basing their decisions on the science. 

I fear you may be right. In spite of Chengkp75's statements that what they're doing takes some time, I haven't seen any information from the CDC regarding their progress or what direction they're taking regarding their technical instructions to resume cruising. The lack of communication and transparency is absolutely stunning. It's stonewalling at its finest.

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

This is pure speculation. Florida isn't the only state that ships sail out of.

The top three cruise ports are in FL, account for more than half of all cruise passengers and no other state is close in terms of impact. The #4 cruise port, Galveston, handles less than half the passengers that #3 Port Canaveral does and it is the only port in TX. CA's three ports of origination and termination (in the last year of consolidated data) combined handle less passengers than Galveston.

When you add in the minor FL ports of Tampa, Palm Beach and Jacksonville, that adds another 1.6 million pax and gives FL about 63% of all cruise passenger traffic in the U.S, so the impact is certainly disperate.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, nocl said:

However we still have a disease incidence level that is almost as high as when the frameworks were issued.

The difference is that in Oct 2020 cases were trending up and there had been zero people inoculated. Now cases are trending down and there are 130 million inoculated.

• Like 3

Payback o Florida by who? The pushback by the CDC was started with a Republican president, and has continued with a Democrat, who has said there may be an easing of travel restrictions May, 17th. Hopefully, that comes to fruition, and maybe the CDC will adjust if the easing does come.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The difference is that in Oct 2020 cases were trending up and there had been zero people inoculated. Now cases are trending down and there are 130 million inoculated.

Actually the cases have been flat for the past 2 weeks and trending upward in 26 states in spite of the vaccinations.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The top three cruise ports are in FL, account for more than half of all cruise passengers and no other state is close in terms of impact. The #4 cruise port, Galveston, handles less than half the passengers that #3 Port Canaveral does and it is the only port in TX. CA's three ports of origination and termination (in the last year of consolidated data) combined handle less passengers than Galveston.

When you add in the minor FL ports of Tampa, Palm Beach and Jacksonville, that adds another 1.6 million pax and gives FL about 63% of all cruise passenger traffic in the U.S, so the impact is certainly disperate.

However the total economic impact of cruising on the state of Florida's economy is less that 1%.  So not an effective way to get back at a state if that is truly what one wanted.

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

Actually the cases have been flat for the past 2 weeks and trending upward in 26 states in spite of the vaccinations.

1/23/21 there were 171k daily cases, 2/23/21 there were 72k daily cases, 3/23/21 there were 52k daily cases. I call that trending down.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nocl said:

However the total economic impact of cruising on the state of Florida's economy is less that 1%.  So not an effective way to get back at a state if that is truly what one wanted.

I am not referring to any motivations, I am pointing out that cruising is 10% of FL's tourism economy and that FL is impacted more than every other state combined.

• Like 2