CDC denies cruise sector's request to lift US sailing restrictions

mnocket

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Le sigh, le heave....

The Jones Act is the other side of the coin of the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886.

The point is, if the President can so easily grant waivers from one federal law, he can do it for others.

It seems the PVSA law allows a waiver for national security reasons. I do not think anyone can stretch a lack of cruises to Alaska to a national security reason.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It seems the PVSA law allows a waiver for national security reasons. I do not think anyone can stretch a lack of cruises to Alaska to a national security reason.

The way it stands currently, a president can issue exemptions for anything, anytime until a court tells him he can't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

Thank you! 

You are most welcome!  emo34.gif

Glad to be of service,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Le sigh, le heave....

The Jones Act is the other side of the coin of the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886.

The point is, if the President can so easily grant waivers from one federal law, he can do it for others.

The waiver was grated for a situation which is a critical one affecting tens of millions of people.

Much as we might wish it were so, people wanting to cruise to Alaska is not a national emergency.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:32 AM, caribill said:

The waiver was grated for a situation which is a critical one affecting tens of millions of people. Much as we might wish it were so, people wanting to cruise to Alaska is not a national emergency.

If an earthquake destroyed hundreds of Alaskan businesses, we'd declare a State of Emergency and dispatch FEMA. Why should this situation be any different?

Even worse, it is as if you could have prevented the earthquake from happening, but didn't.

We've seen how easy it is to circumvent federal law by the chief executive. Why aren't the livelihoods of many Americans worth saving?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

If an earthquake destroyed hundreds of Alaskan businesses, we'd declare a State of Emergency and dispatch FEMA. Why should this situation be any different?

Even worse, it is as if you could have prevented the earthquake from happening, but didn't.

We've seen how easy it is to circumvent federal law by the chief executive. Why aren't the livelihoods of many Americans worth saving?

Of course, but there's still this thing called a pandemic going on.  And, until very recently, there was a major safety issue to be considered in terms of people getting sick and dying.  However, with the vaccines working, now they're attempting to get the waiver, but they're approaching this the right way.  What they're asking for is only temporary, whereas if Biden just did the waiver it couldn't temporary.  

It's not often where I think that politicians are doing things the right way, the smart way, but this time they are.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

People from the lower 48 have always been able to travel to Alaska during the pandemic.....just because they cannot cruise there right now does not make it seem like it is the end of the world for Alaska and cruisers as you suggest.....not to mention the bailout monies I am sure helped a lot of those businesses.....bigger fish to fry then cruising to Alaska right now for the US......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

What they're asking for is only temporary, whereas if Biden just did the waiver it couldn't temporary.

Why couldn't it be temporary? In his announcement waiving Jones Act requirements he specifically said the suspension/waiver was temporary.

10 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

People from the lower 48 have always been able to travel to Alaska during the pandemic.....just because they cannot cruise there right now does not make it seem like it is the end of the world for Alaska and cruisers as you suggest.....not to mention the bailout monies I am sure helped a lot of those businesses.....bigger fish to fry then cruising to Alaska right now for the US......

Towns like Sitka, Ketchikan, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, and Juneau are small towns and not easily visited by land, especially when the Canadian border is closed. It would be very expensive to try and visit those towns in a conventional manner.

Bigger fish to fry? It isn't about people cruising, it is about these communities ability to survive. it might be the end of the world for some of these communities. I am appalled at how many people don't seem to care about these communities and their peoples.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Why couldn't it be temporary? In his announcement waiving Jones Act requirements he specifically said the suspension/waiver was temporary.

Towns like Sitka, Ketchikan, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, and Juneau are small towns and not easily visited by land, especially when the Canadian border is closed. It would be very expensive to try and visit those towns in a conventional manner.

Bigger fish to fry? It isn't about people cruising, it is about these communities ability to survive. it might be the end of the world for some of these communities. I am appalled at how many people don't seem to care about these communities and their peoples.

I have been to Alaska many times for months at a time and flown all over the state in bush planes which is a common way the majority of locals travel......I think you are. more worried about what it would cost YOU to REALLY visit and see Alaska.  

Taking a cruise ship basically is a closed loop and highly controlled experience by Princess and IMHO you do not really immerse yourself in the true Alaskan experience......they will be just fine and someday you can cruise to Alaska again and pretend you are seeing the real deal.......

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

I have been to Alaska many times for months at a time and flown all over the state in bush planes which is a common way the majority of locals travel......I think you are. more worried about what it would cost YOU to REALLY visit and see Alaska.  

MOST people don't have "months" at a time to see Alaska. Most people, especially those with larger groups (families of 5 or more) would find hopping to the towns I mentioned by plane prohibitively expensive and cumbersome.

And why the cheap personal shot? I've been to Alaska more times than I care to count. I have several clients who are Native Alaskan corporation and I have to visit them all at least once a year and I've been doing that for about 25 years now. They are spread all over the state, including some of the islands where the only way to the village in winter for a year end report was by snowmobile after a boat ride from the nearest bush pilot landing area or seaplane landing.

My last Alaska cruise was at least 10 years ago and that was my third. I am not sure I need/want a fourth. I do feel for the great people I've met there in the last 25 years.

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Taking a cruise ship basically is a closed loop and highly controlled experience by Princess and IMHO you do not really immerse yourself in the true Alaskan experience......they will be just fine and someday you can cruise to Alaska again and pretend you are seeing the real deal.......

Again making this personal about what I want? How are you so convinced "they will be just fine"? Based on what facts? The people in these areas are saying through their representatives in Congress and their governor that they will not be fine. I believe them.

• Like 3