Apex moving to Athens for 7 night cruises for summer 2021

TMaine

I’m happy for everyone that has booked these cruises out of Greece and St Maarten and I hope everyone finds a way to enjoy themselves.  But for me all of these hassles and limitations would take the fun away.  It just not worth it to me,  Good luck to everyone on these cruises.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, BubbaBoat said:

I simply refuse to have to purchase a Celebrity excursion simply to be allowed to get of the boat.  All I want to do is explore each port on my own but Nooooooooooooooo because being vaccinated just aint good enough.

It should not be a surprise that they are doing this, at least in Europe, as it has been required of all lines that have started up there to date (MSC, Costa, TUI, etc.)  Although I have not seen any hard evidence of the requirement coming from a European health regulatory authority, the story is that the requirement comes from them. IIRC, Celebrity has said it is NOT requiring ship excursions for the newly announced summer Caribbean cruises...

I'm not sure whether it has to do with infection so much as contact tracing. I would assume if passengers came ashore and mingled with unvaccinated residents, and COVID cases were then discovered among either group, the contact tracing of so many individuals aboard a ship would be a PITA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulhc said:

Greece will open to US citizens next week, nearly a month ahead of their May 14th plan!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2021/04/14/greece-will-reportedly-reopen-to-us-tourists-next-week---if-they-meet-these-conditions/?sh=45f17283424b

A step in the right direction for our July Apex cruise.

Let’s talk about it next week 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Although I have not seen any hard evidence of the requirement coming from a European health regulatory authority, the story is that the requirement comes from them.

There is no "hard evidence" as this is no law or any kind of rule. It´s an agreement between the cruise line and the health authorities. The Greek authorities first dealt with TUI Cruises and one point was "only organized shore tours" to minimize contacts with the locals. So it´s pretty likely that they adopted this for all upcoming cruises.

steamboats

I just got my first shot two days ago- so I am ( almost ) ready to book. I think the situation is in a constand move right now.  At the end of July things may be different then when Apex starts at June 19.

Germany is in a kind of race againt time with vaccinating and bringing the number of the daily new infections down. IMO people who get infected these days in Germany are lax in terms of protecting themselfes, careless or ingnorant of the dangers of C19.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I just got my first shot two days ago- so I am ( almost ) ready to book. I think the situation is in a constand move right now.  At the end of July things may be different then when Apex starts at June 19.

Germany is in a kind of race againt time with vaccinating and bringing the number of the daily new infections down. IMO people who get infected these days in Germany are lax in terms of protecting themselfes, careless or ingnorant of the dangers of C19.

As you say, many people in many countries are lax on protecting themselves, careless, or ignorant of the dangers of C19. We can't get our 2nd jab until June even though they say restaurants will open here in mid-May. Also, like you say, since the situation can change almost daily ... who knows! ... 😇 ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

IMO people who get infected these days in Germany are lax in terms of protecting themselfes, careless or ingnorant of the dangers of C19.

Wow, I am surprised about such a generalizing and condescending statement. You are telling everyone who is getting infected in Germany now that it’s his or her own fault... that’s currently 25k people a day. I think the statement itself is ignorant!

While there are no doubt too many careless people, ALL the people I know who were infected with Covid are reasonable and responsible people who were and are very careful and aware of the dangers. They either have no idea where they were infected or got it from their kids who carried it home from daycare without being symptomatic etc. etc. = unfortunately the possibilities are endless.

Be glad you didn’t get it and chances are high you will not get it after being vaccinated. Since DW and I are already vaccinated, I can comprehend the relief... however, IMHO it’s no reason to get on the high horse and condemn others ! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

got it from their kids who carried it home from daycare without being symptomatic etc. etc. = unfortunately the possibilities are endless.

Yes Miaminice ... the majority of C19 cases are coming from 'community spread' ... which means family, friends, and neighbors ... not from travel or cruising!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlobalMethod said:

Yes Miaminice ... the majority of C19 cases are coming from 'community spread' ... which means family, friends, and neighbors ... not from travel or cruising!

Travel and cruising are a different topic again... Germancruiser’s statement referred to Germany... not much travel or cruising there 😉😂

7 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

IMO people who get infected these days in Germany are lax in terms of protecting themselfes, careless or ingnorant of the dangers of C19.

I´ve never been lax and I do wear my FFP2/KN95/N95 mask on public transportation, at work (unless I´m alone in my office room), for neccessary shopping (I don´t shop just for fun anymore) and whereever it is needed. And here in Bavaria we´re not lax at all as we are not allowed to use anything else than FFP2 masks for months now. Nevertheless the numbers are going up.

steamboats

20 minutes ago, steamboats said:

I´ve never been lax and I do wear my FFP2/KN95/N95 mask on public transportation, at work (unless I´m alone in my office room), for neccessary shopping (I don´t shop just for fun anymore) and whereever it is needed. And here in Bavaria we´re not lax at all as we are not allowed to use anything else than FFP2 masks for months now. Nevertheless the numbers are going up.

steamboats

Are you saying masks don't work? I am sincerely asking what the point you are making.  I am so confused by all the information I see,  Some areas are relaxing the mask requirement and the numbers are going down, some areas are seeing increases.  I feel like it is a moving target and opinions are always changing.  I have tried to not entrench myself in one opinion and then not be willing to listen to others have to say.  It feels like the media has an agenda to pit people against each other.

(I realized that sounded sarcastic so I wanted to clarify). 

Edited by 5onadime
clarification
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, 5onadime said:

Are you saying masks don't work? I am sincerely asking what the point you are making.  I am so confused by all the information I see,  Some areas are relaxing the mask requirement and the numbers are going down, some areas are seeing increases.  I feel like it is a moving target and opinions are always changing.  I have tried to not entrench myself in one opinion and then not be willing to listen to others have to say.  It feels like the media has an agenda to pit people against each other.

(I realized that sounded sarcastic so I wanted to clarify). 

This is a very tricky virus. I don't think anyone understands it. That is why the rules and advice are constantly changing. Just be careful, wear a mask ,social distance and wash your hands. Stay safe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5onadime said:

Are you saying masks don't work? I am sincerely asking what the point you are making.

I know that’s not what steamboats is saying. You have to read the post in context to #258 where Germancruiser said that all people in Germany who now get infected are careless and negligent = which is nonsense!

Yes, masks work, other measures work... However,. one can be careful and still be infected. 
That’s steamboats’ point as well as mine. This virus is tricky and not all people who get it can be called lax and ignorant.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2

We were supposed to spend some time in Greece with the May 15 Apex cruise.

So sad.

We have been to Greece several times and we love it.

The itinerary was really good for us, ports we have not yet visited. They are not repeating it next year, so that's that for us.

Hopefully, all will be well in one year and we will be able to do a land trip somewhere in Europe. I have ideas. All we need is good health.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 5onadime said:

Are you saying masks don't work?

Definitely not!! I do believe in the masks and I´m wearing my mask. And especially in my state we have to wear the FFP2 ones not just fabric or the surgery masks (the simple "paper" ones). I was referring to Germancruiser saying the people are getting "lax" in wearing the masks.

The main problem regarding the rise of the numbers is that the current virus (we do have the British one on the rise) is very aggressive and just a short contact is enough to catch it. Over Easter there have been private family meetings where people haven´t worn masks all the time. I´ve been on a long walk last weekend. And yes, when you´re out you don´t need to wear a mask in the fresh air. But we had a short stop at a place where people are watching and everyone was suddenly standing next to each other - way too close. We´ve been the only ones putting up our masks. It´s just that the people forget it not because they are lax but in the rush of the moment.

And we still have not enough vaccine over here in EU. So we have only about 20% who got the first dose (and maybe 6% who are fully vaccinated).

Schools opened last Monday (after the Easter break)... all kids had to have a test... some returned positive... public transportation was crowded again...

The people are not lax wearing the masks. But especially with the FFP2/N95 masks you really have to wear them properly. And acutally it looks like not everybody knows how to wear them right. That might be a problem too. Yes, they can get uncomfortable when you wear them right. But actually I prefer to feel uncomfortable over getting sick with the virus.

steamboats

• Like 1

For these cruises out of the Attica, Greece region, which includes Athens and the  Piraeus cruise port (12 minute metro ride to central Athens), my biggest concern is the overall health situation in this area.

The present C19 spike in Attica is quite significant as the ICUs are at 105% capacity. This means if you hurt yourself seriously or get seriously ill, it would be presently difficult to get proper care, but not impossible.

This would not be so bad for properly vaccinated individuals but I read intensively on the C19 issue in India yesterday. As you probably are aware, you can not get a hospital room in most big cities in India, no matter how ill or hurt you are, or how much you are willing to pay.

India really was doing everything they could and had a decent comparative infection rate. However, they opened up their entire economy and then have been just pummeled by a new C19 wave.

This is exactly how Greece plans to open their economy for the 'tourist' season.

This is what has me worried. Hopefully, an increased number of C19 vaccinations will improve the overall situation but those are moving slowly. The government is trying to speed them up.

If you are catching a cruise in the Attica area just be careful and you should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

The present C19 spike in Attica is quite significant as the ICUs are at 105% capacity. This means if you hurt yourself seriously or get seriously ill, it would be presently difficult to get proper care, but not impossible.

This is the sort of info I keep hearing from those "on the ground' so to speak and it doesn't make me feel sanguine about the summer's planned cruise schedules in Europe. Maybe later, in the fall, things will begin to normalize.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is the sort of info I keep hearing from those "on the ground' so to speak and it doesn't make me feel sanguine about the summer's planned cruise schedules in Europe. Maybe later, in the fall, things will begin to normalize.

you do realize there are already cruises sailing in Europe!?